GDT: Preseason - Devils vs. Rangers - 7PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That right there is the problem with going half speed. Gotta be careful or you'll get hurt.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
do you want to do what’s best for this year’s devils team? or do what’s best for smith and the organization long term? i like shiny new toys too but it’s not smart

Yea, I do, which is why if Smith continues to play like this he should be on the team. Him playing in a lesser league when he is showing he can handle the NHL pace and skill is pointless and not actually good for his development. It stunts it. He's not gonna learn anything playing below his skill level if he is clearly able to not only keep up in the NHL, but have an impact.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Why is not playing him where he earns not best for Smith and long term? No one has advocated for keeping him if he isn't capable of playing a regular part of the team.

he’ll play more minutes (and more meaningful minutes) while he matures his game. playing in NJ as a 5/6 defenseman w/ PP time or being scratched, which is very likely as an 18 year old that weighs 176 pounds, likely isn’t the best route for his long term development

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
he’ll play more minutes (and more meaningful minutes) while he matures his game. playing in NJ as a 5/6 defenseman w/ PP time or being scratched, which is very likely as an 18 year old that weighs 176 pounds, likely isn’t the best route for his long term development

Playing more minutes in a league that is lesser talent in than in the NHL. Dominating people below your level is not always great for development.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If I were the decision maker Smith would be on the opening night roster ahead of Mueller.

I feel comfortable saying that now

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
If I were the decision maker Smith would be on the opening night roster ahead of Mueller.

I love his edges. It's fantastic, but I do think he cannot handle certain minutes. So he will be sheltered and I don't know if Butcher is beyond sheltering too. Can you shelter 2 D-men?

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

I feel comfortable saying that now
No.

.... just no
Hes played 2 games, PRE Season games, which are much different then regular season games. I would not make that call untill after him playing an nhl season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I love his edges. It's fantastic, but I do think he cannot handle certain minutes. So he will be sheltered and I don't know if Butcher is beyond sheltering too. Can you shelter 2 D-men?
The moment Moore left and not replaced Butcher was going to get real 2nd pair minutes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No.

.... just no
Hes played 2 games, PRE Season games, which are much different then regular season games. I would not make that call untill after him playing an nhl season.
I'd bet right now that he's not sent back to junior on opening day.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Playing more minutes in a league that is lesser talent in than in the NHL. Dominating people below your level is not always great for development.

he’s not going to play peewee hockey. he’ll develop better... physically, mentally and as a leader. even if we realistically had a place for him in nj, it’s not a good big picture move for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad