GDT: Preseason: Devils @ Rangers 7 PM, MSG Plus

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
For the 2nd night in a row, simply abysmal hockey by NJD.

Got outclassed all over the ice but it was more apparent on special teams.

That Gilmour kid looked way better than Greene on the PP.

The lack of offense year after year is frustrating.

The best highlight was Vesey getting crosschecked into the bar.

outclassed? we are talking about a pre season hockey game my gosh..... relax a bit ...yes the team didn't look good... but don't jump off a bridge just yet

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I swear we only get offensive time when Auvitu-Santini are on the ice.

i look at individual play during pre season

i liked:

santini
avituu
wood
zacha

one guy that stood out in a bad way for me considering the circumstance was bennett. didn't like his game at all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
To much desire for instant gratification.

Takes time for the new combos to form chemistry, and they need to practice special teams. This is why they play preseason games, to iron all that out.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
In fairness, Bennett has played like 10 games since the middle of last December, so he might be knocking some rust off.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just watched the replay.

We weren't that bad, just couldn't score again or create enough scoring chances. Special teams were a real sore spot though. PK looked like the Foligno special, the PP looked like the Shaw special.

Wedgewood wasn't very good. Screened on goal 1, but goals 2 and 3 were stoppable. Goal 2 especially.

Goal 3 was on a one timer backdoor if I recall correctly, not a terrible goal but I feel it was still stoppable. He didn't have to come across the crease and wasn't that far from being out of position. He appeared to be in decent position by the time it got to him and he got too big a piece of it for me to not ding him for that one.

He wasn't very good. If Kinkaid allowed those two goals in the last game, I think many people here (including me) would be roasting him.

Nice shot and goal by Wood though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
All he does is throw weak wrist shots from the point that never make it to the net.

And his slapshot usually misses the net entirely. I'd probably keep him off the PP, but that's going to depend on how the units shake out. If we roll with 4 F on both units, I'd probably go with Severson and either Moore or Auvitu as the defensemen. We were kind of lucky with Schlemko's usefulness on the PP last year.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah, rest Greene during our PPs.

For the Rags, Vesey and the Russian rookie are top level skilled talents.
They also look to have signed a gifted dman in Gilmour.
Anyone predicting an upcoming demise for them is not paying attention.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Just watched the replay.

We weren't that bad, just couldn't score again or create enough scoring chances. Special teams were a real sore spot though. PK looked like the Foligno special, the PP looked like the Shaw special.

Wedgewood wasn't very good. Screened on goal 1, but goals 2 and 3 were stoppable. Goal 2 especially.

Goal 3 was on a one timer backdoor if I recall correctly, not a terrible goal but I feel it was still stoppable. He didn't have to come across the crease and wasn't that far from being out of position. He appeared to be in decent position by the time it got to him and he got too big a piece of it for me to not ding him for that one.

He wasn't very good. If Kinkaid allowed those two goals in the last game, I think many people here (including me) would be roasting him.

Nice shot and goal by Wood though.

It was a good quick shot by Wood but if the Rags dman didn't blindly turn the puck over we get shutout on consecutive nights.

Tomorrow with presumably a better lineup, I would hope to see more scoring chances.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
don't forget hynes said they didn't work on special teams all that much

The PP was horrendous last night. Not a huge concern yet, with Palms, Henrique & Hall all missing...not to mention DSP and Boucher.

Have to wonder if Josefson's PP skills might get him in the lineup if it struggles during the season - he certainly helped it out last year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
For the 2nd night in a row, simply abysmal hockey by NJD.

Got outclassed all over the ice but it was more apparent on special teams.

That Gilmour kid looked way better than Greene on the PP.

The lack of offense year after year is frustrating.

The best highlight was Vesey getting crosschecked into the bar.

lol dude they didn't play their 3 best offensive players and the coach said they've barely worked on special teams.

its preseason, relax. probably half the guys that played last night will be cut this weekend anyways.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Sounds like Wood continues to play his game, which I love to hear.

Didn't get to see this one either, but happy to hear that Lappin continues to perform well.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
@ToddCordell: Pavel Zacha had four shots and a +6 shot attempt differential at 5 v 5 last night (4th best on NJ). Played in all situations.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Wood looked impressive last night, but I noticed the broadcast text said he is 6'00" 185 lbs. Is that accurate? He looks like he's a good 6'2" 215.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wood looked impressive last night, but I noticed the broadcast text said he is 6'00" 185 lbs. Is that accurate? He looks like he's a good 6'2" 215.

Yeah there is and has been some weird thing going on with his measurments.

Hockeydb has him listed at 160 lbs.:laugh:

And then they take him out of the game after 8 impressive minutes.

It's as if they are trying to keep him a secret. Like they would get in trouble if the truth got out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad