Post-Game Talk: PRESEASON: Bo "No longer a bust" Horvat wins game for Canucks A Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
**--PP still sucks.
--Breakouts still suck.
--Zone entries still suck.

This is a recording from 2012.**

Only watched the third, and those were the two things I took from it. There were some bright flashes here and there, but zone exits and entries looked poor overall.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yea we are so tentative breaking into the zone and going to the net. It must be a mental thing, because its been the same thing every year.

the rookies looked good.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
As good as Vey looked, I still think it was a pointless trade, with Sedin and Bonino making up the top two centers and Richardson the fourth line, we already had the 3rd line center job up for grabs for Horvat and Gaunce who both are likely ready to handle that, for sure Horvat is. We have a lack of D man in the system and we could've nap a potential good one there. Hopefully Vey can play right wing cause I think Horvat is a much better center man both at defensive play and face off wins ability. I see Horvat going back to the OHL and it'll be a waste cause he's ready, new coach has a strong relationship with Vey and that'll land Vey the third line center job. I don't think Sedin Bonino Vey is a very good top 3 center man depth as their all what many would call soft and not very strong denfensively, Bonino and Vey haven't been great at face offs either. Horvat brings a lot of the things we need, more so now with Kesler gone.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Only watched the third, and those were the two things I took from it. There were some bright flashes here and there, but zone exits and entries looked poor overall.

I actually had no real issue with the breakout, it was nice to see all 3 forwards involved in the breakout.

The zone entries were rough because they were clearly told not to play dump and chase. Something they will have to work on with willie.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yeah, if things keep up like this...i wouldn't mind a lineup like that at all.

Though nitpicking, i'd swap Vey at Center and Bonino on LW where he's played a pretty good amount and is plenty comfortable.

Benning has already said he sees Bonino as a 2nd line center... Sedin Bonino Vey Richardson will most likely be our centers..

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
As good as Vey looked, I still think it was a pointless trade, with Sedin and Bonino making up the top two centers and Richardson the fourth line, we already had the 3rd line center job up for grabs for Horvat and Gaunce who both are likely ready to handle that, for sure Horvat is. We have a lack of D man in the system and we could've nap a potential good one there. Hopefully Vey can play right wing cause I think Horvat is a much better center man both at defensive play and face off wins ability. I see Horvat going back to the OHL and it'll be a waste cause he's ready, new coach has a strong relationship with Vey and that'll land Vey the third line center job. I don't think Sedin Bonino Vey is a very good top 3 center man depth as their all what many would call soft and not very strong denfensively, Bonino and Vey haven't been great at face offs either. Horvat brings a lot of the things we need, more so now with Kesler gone.

Then you move Bonino to the LW.

Bonino Vey Kassian
Higgins Horvat Burrows

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

At the present, I'd take Vey over Horvat any day of the week.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Love the Vey trade. For a team that lacked offence his creativity is refreshing to watch.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
At the present, I'd take Vey over Horvat any day of the week.

Vey offensive upside isn't higher than Horvats, likely about the same, but Horvat is much better at defensive play and face offs, Horvat imo is the better player.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He also went 5/6 in the defensive zone. This was against the likes of Couture and Marleau. Things like that are what coaches look for.

Yes, if Horvat can win face offs in his own zone and play that strongly I can't see how they'd send him back to Junior.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I actually had no real issue with the breakout, it was nice to see all 3 forwards involved in the breakout.

The zone entries were rough because they were clearly told not to play dump and chase. Something they will have to work on with willie.

There are still some issues

outshot 34 to 19. I'm not sure it was any better in Stockton.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yes, if Horvat can win face offs in his own zone and play that strongly I can't see how they'd send him back to Junior.

Where would he fit?

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Vey Hansen
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

We have Ganuce, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Fox and Jensen all fighting it out to be the 7th guy? I'm not sure any of them have much of a shot at making the club right now. Shame cause Horvats ready and would be great for his development to hold down the 3rd line center job.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Where would he fit?

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Vey Hansen
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

We have Ganuce, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Fox and Jensen all fighting it out to be the 7th guy? I'm not sure any of them have much of a shot at making the club right now. Shame cause Horvats ready and would be great for his development to hold down the 3rd line center job.

As good as Vey looked I'm not sure he's a 3rd line Center, especially the kind of 3rd line Center the Canucks are going to need to help absorb some of the defensive zone starts that Kesler used to take. I think Vey or Bonino end up on the win with Hansen and Dorsett rotating in and out the lineup. Just IMO.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

One of the truest things Gillis ever said in his tenure, was his comment re: Centers in the NHL. Suggesting that good quality centers are almost never available, and when they are they come at a major premium. And that you have to draft and develop these guys yourself.

Which really boils down to...if all of these Centers we're accumulating end up playing well and becoming bonafide NHLers, you can always swap these guys down the line for a more NHL ready defenceman than what we would've got with McKeown who is a very long ways from the NHL and with the unpredictability of defencemen's development curves...who knows if he'll ever be an NHL player, it's certainly not a guarantee.

Centers are an extremely valuable trade chip in the NHL...if you become a factory for developing good ones, then you're in a position to cash them in for whatever else you might need (ie. a young defenceman). Or in the very case of Los Angeles where we acquired Vey from...when you build up that sort of depth down the middle, you can swap it out for a Roland McKeown quite easily, even with a guy who isn't NHL proven.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Are you really watching Horvat? I mean, REALLY watching? He's one of those guys where you need to stop watching the game and just watch him, you'll start to see how mature his game is. For a guy who is 19 years old, he's way ahead of where he should be. I have a totally different review on Horvat than you did, even before he scored. He played a smart game, and he was rewarded for it. That's a sign of a successful NHL player.

I'm not looking for a mature game or a smart game from Horvat. We've got 3rd line centres coming out of our *****. I really want to see a genuine offensive threat, and I'm not seeing it. Okay sure, one preseason game. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be proven wrong here and have a stud emerge. Obviously the very beginning of the process with him, but yeah. I want to see the Canucks draft a player in the top ten who plays a star game not a defensively responsible game.

Vey offensive upside isn't higher than Horvats, likely about the same, but Horvat is much better at defensive play and face offs, Horvat imo is the better player.

Vey is way ahead of Horvat offensively right now. To be expected from the age difference, but still it's not really a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad