Post-Game Talk: PRESEASON: Bo "No longer a bust" Horvat wins game for Canucks A Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
It's funny that a journalist could be so careless, but personally, I've never found something like that legitimately racist, just politically incorrect.

Agree I don't even think Subban would be bothered at all by it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That is a pretty sweet line up.

If Burrows shows that he's still got it...i wouldnt mind seeing
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Horvat Bonino Vrbata
Higgins Vey Kassian
Matthias Richardson Hansen

that way u have Bonino and Vrbata on the 2nd line....gives us a better 1 / 2 punch instead of loading up 1 line
I'm of that mindset too-- Vrbata looks positionally perfect with the twins, but I'm still worried that that type of line will be too passive when they don't have the puck.

However, if you're going to drop Kassian to a 3rd line and if Desjardin's serious about icing four lines, you may as well do this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Vey - Bonino - Vrbata
Matthias - Horvat - Kassian (would be a handful, similar but upgrade on the Booth-Kassian thing)
Higgins - Richardson - Hansen (takes hard matchups)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Fans of other teams love Hodgson, but they only look at the scoring highlights and the points. They don't look at the fact he's one of the worst possession players in the league and that includes his terrible Buffalo team only beating out guys of Kaleta and Scott's level. But he looks great on the scoring highlights.

For mine the question is "Can Bo consistently play the level of defense in NHL games and provide 25+ points?". If yes, then he should stay up as 3C. If he fails either criteria then he goes back.

I think Hodgson gets even more flack than he deserves for his lack of defensive reliability due to the fact he's playing on a team that just does not have the roster to "shelter" him anywhere near adequately. He certainly deserves criticism for that aspect of his game, but i think it's pretty clear that at least a part of that is inflated by him being in way over his head with matchups he's not fit to handle, and probably should never be expected to deal with. In any case though, i think it's pretty safe to call him a "flashy offensive player" whom the Canucks selected "top-10".

Which to the original post, that's 2/3 "top-10 picks" in recent memory being "offensive players" who play a "star game" as it was phrased. With Bo being the only top-10 pick who doesn't play that sort of game.

While I definitely agree with this premise, and by way of that Gillis's thought process, I'm not sure it fully applies to Vey. Vey's 'final' position is still very much in doubt. LA fans think he is more suited to wing than centre. So he could be a faux centre solution from the outset, which should affect his value.

But yeah, I do agree with trying to stack that position for that reason. Especially with how Dmen value can range across the board. Don't think it would get you a McKeown, but someone decent could be had. Perhaps a Bowey or Severson...?

I certainly didn't mean a literal swap back of Vey for McKeown or anything. Just the principle...if you have excess center depth, even guys who haven't yet made an NHL impact...you can swap them down the road for a pick that can net you a defensive prospect like Roland McKeown. Or, if you've got guys who are NHL proven...you can swap them for more NHL-ready defensive prospects, taking some of the volatility out of drafting a defenceman along the way. Teams love Centers...makes sense to horde them and dole them out for whatever else you might need. But i think we're on the same page there really.

As far as Vey being a potential "faux center"...i still just haven't seen anything to suggest that he would be better as a winger. I'm not really sure what Kings fans saw there, or if it's something like the case of Schroeder here where a lot of Canucks fans were desperate to stick Schroeder on the wing just to find a spot he would fit on the roster. With Vey, i still just see a player whose strength is his puck distributing ability, a creative passer with some generally sound positional play. And the weakness of being not all that stellar when it comes to stop and start hockey, battling along the wall, playing that initial forechecker role, etc. I just don't see anything in his game that suggests to me that he would be more suited to the Wing. And it seems to me that both the LAK organization who seem to know a few things about some stuff, and Benning here, as well as Willie D seem to view Vey similarly.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Imagine if we had Demko, Hutton, Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, and Tryamkin (to a certain extent) in pre-season games. Makes me happy.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
STRONG:
1) Alex Friesen. His fore-checking lead to the first goal, solid play both ends.
2) Jordan Subban made some hella risky passes and carrys in the D zone, all worked out from what I saw, he uses his speed, he's got vision. From this game, his game with the puck is solid. It's more the game without the puck I'd be concerned about. Pretty big fan of his game, just like PK, confident, risky, exciting and uses his strengths to overshadow the deficiencies.
3) Zalewski. Liked his game today, nothing extraordinary, but everything hella sufficient.
4) Horvat I don't care what everyone else says, he had a solid game. He's not out there looking to impress fans/management by playing a different flashy game. When he touched the puck, he got it in the right spots. He was solid positionally. And on his goal, he won the faceoff, and got to the net. Exactly what I expect from him. He also did a nice 1-3, didn't lead to a goal, but great creativity.
5) Vey. Beaten to death had a great game.
6) Shinkaruk. Can't argue with 1g 1a. However, he doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the D zone. He is primed to grow exponentially as a hockey player in the AHL. He could play in the NHL, but why not have some patience and let him grow as a go-to-guy.
7) Dorsett, seemed like he was barely out there, got an appy and got us a PP by being a disturber, almost exactly what we want out of him.

NB:
Horvat 67% v Vey 43% in the dot.
Horvat 1G, Vey 1G+2A.
Horvat - Zalewski + Dorsett, Vey - Shinkaruk + Friesen, you can't really give Vey an advantage here.
Horvat - PK, Vey - PP.
Let the games begin

MEHHH...
1) Fox . Showed some real offensive instinct and was trying his hardest. Would love to see what 2 years of AHL does for the guy.
2) Corrado..... meeeeehhhhhhhh.

There were a few bad players, Andersson was particularly bad in my opinion.

With all these proposed line-ups, lets not forget there was a whole other team playing...

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Horvat could definately play the role that sean couturier did in is first year as a 19 year old

Doubt we're really going to play a checking line. I got a feeling if we match lines, it'll be Sedins vs #1 line. Not to mention our roster is kinda "full" as it is so it makes a lot more sense to let Horvat slide instead of wasting a year of his ELC.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
10440166_10152686683408350_6954486523860953335_n.jpg

:biglaugh:

Kinda looks like Schneider. haha.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Couturier was shutting down Malkin his rookie year. Horvat just is not at that level.

Couturier was well below 50% in face offs that year. I think Horvat will be ready to compete in his own dot this year. Malkin had 9 points in 6 regular season games against Philly in Couturier's rookie season. I guess a 1.5 PPG can be considered "shutting down"?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Well it was from Steve Bosch in Papua New Guinea.

re the comment - stupid and he/she should get a rap on the knuckles but c'mon it's not THAT bad. If it was the 1950 they would have used some word that'd just end up in asterix on HF. It seems that whoever wrote this was just trying to be descriptive ie red hair, tall, short, tanned, albino etc and just needs a little talk about modern PC.

Sure...
I understand your position...
And I can even understand that political correctness has not permeated in Papua New Guinea culture...
But he could have just said in the middle...
To avoid controversy.
American culture has spread far and wide...
That people should know how touchy race is in Western culture.

I also looked back at a couple of mainstream American newspapers back in the 1910s...
To see how they described Jack Johnson...
An African-American champion boxer...
In the coverage of his championship fight...
And the worst derogatory term I have seen is "black man" in a San Francisco newspaper.
Most papers are able to focus on the fight...
And largely avoided any name-calling.

When the majority of newspapers back then could hold back their prejudices...
At a time when it was widely acceptable...
There is no reason for something like this to happen nowadays.

Last edited:

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
It's funny that a journalist could be so careless, but personally, I've never found something like that legitimately racist, just politically incorrect.

No, it's definitely racist. Whoever wrote the caption distinguished the person by the colour of their skin. Doesn't matter if you find it offensive or not.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Shinkaruk henrik vrbata
daniel bonino kassian
burrows horvat jensen
matthias richardson higgins
vey

hansen and markstrom somewhere for a 2nd.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Shinkaruk's enthusiasm is contagious. Great to see them all psyched for each others' goals.

ya you noticed that too? How fast he skated to Jordan when he potted his first as a Canuck and you could just feel the excitement Hunter felt for his new teammate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad