GDT: Preseason #3 | Capitals at Flyers | Sep 28, 2022, 7pm | Wells Fargo Center | NHLN, NBCSP+

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
im just saying it's a lottery and the draft classes have to be good, you cant expect every draft class to have a star, that's the problem with relying on draft picks, you can tank and tank every year and you would come up with nolan patricks and jvrs.
What this team should be doing everything in their power to increase their odds of getting a top 3 pick in 2023.

There are 2 parts to "tanking. First part put yourself in a prime spot to accumulate a high pick. Second have good management to make sure you capitalize on said picks or make good trades.

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
what's funny is that you dont even put out an argument of why tanking will work when other teams have done it right now they are trash and think it will just work out better for us? everything is calling me names, i dont know hockey.

when you put out personal attacks on me instead of talking how it will or wont work, it's you that dont know anything about hockey.
Oh yeah, I'm going to talk hockey with a delusional troll. You're either so out of touch or so obviously trolling that attempting a real conversation with you would be entirely worthless.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Oh yeah, I'm going to talk hockey with a delusional troll. You're either so out of touch or so obviously trolling that attempting a real conversation with you would be entirely worthless.
im going to ask a simple hockey question, what makes you think tanking works when other teams right now that have done it cant get in the playoffs?

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
The fact that damned near every team that has won lately has tanked
because those teams lucked into those players when the draft classes were good and the ping pong balls went their way. it doesnt work for everyone. i dont understand you can say it will work for us when we had the worst record and we got jvr, not to menion the draft rules have changed as well.

you have no clue about the draft classes, we could get the next jvr in every draft and be the worst team the next 30 or 40 years like how you can waste your life and be ok with that? at some point you have to accept it for what it is and get better other ways besides the draft because the nhl is changing the rules to prevent teams from tanking.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
because those teams lucked into those players when the draft classes were good and the ping pong balls went their way. it doesnt work for everyone. i dont understand you can say it will work for us when we had the worst record and we got jvr, not to menion the draft rules have changed as well.

you have no clue about the draft classes, we could get the next jvr in every draft and be the worst team the next 30 or 40 years like how you can waste your life and be ok with that? at some point you have to accept it for what it is and get better other ways besides the draft because the nhl is changing the rules to prevent teams from tanking.
Yeah, I'm not into a decade of unwatchable non-playoff hockey, which can easily happen if your only strategy is to try to lose and pray for a savior in the draft.

Now, if this season is considered toast at some point and they can get 1st rd picks in the 2023 draft for Sanheim and Provorov, fine. It is a deep draft and neither is an untradeable asset. But I want them using that cap space next summer to try to improve immediately for the 23-24 season.

Reactions: tucson83

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm not into a decade of unwatchable non-playoff hockey, which can easily happen if your only strategy is to try to lose and pray for a savior in the draft.

Now, if this season is considered toast at some point and they can get 1st rd picks in the 2023 draft for Sanheim and Provorov, fine. It is a deep draft and neither is an untradeable asset. But I want them using that cap space next summer to try to improve immediately for the 23-24 season.
not to mention the teams in our division are loaded especially with young talented players, tanking right now is a death sentence, we have to get players that are available away from division opponents to move the needle above them, regardless of how well we draft.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

So you believe the best thing to do is not "luck into" players, to keep sucking, and not win as many Cups as possible, just so we are clear?

Because you are recently on record confirming you don't want to win as much as possible. Will you stop being a fan if the Flyers win more than one more Cup?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Can you imagine this team having a decade of unwatchable non-playoff hockey?

Thank god the Flyers didn't tank, or the last decade of hockey might have been unwatchable. Or even bad.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
im going to ask a simple hockey question, what makes you think tanking works when other teams right now that have done it cant get in the playoffs?
Yeah Colorado, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA haven't done anything.

Listen you're either an idiot or a troll. Probably a little if both. Is tanking a guarantee? No. But it does work for some of those teams.

But again you're a troll so you'll go "lol but buffalo"

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah Colorado, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA haven't done anything.

Listen you're either an idiot or a troll. Probably a little if both. Is tanking a guarantee? No. But it does work for some of those teams.

But again you're a troll so you'll go "lol but buffalo"
you are one that cant play by the rules and understand why the nhl has prevented teams from getting the number overall pick in multiple years and if you go against it, yeah you are going to be buffalo for 30 or 40 years which i dont understand how anyone in the right mindset will rather not see the team make the playoffs for that long because you would rather be a dynasty than winning one cup which is very difficult to do in a cap world.

just seems like fans that want teams to tank want them to be bad. im sure coyotes fans are very happy that team is dumpster fire that cant afford another arena.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Oh, it's some grand conspiracy. Now it makes sense.

Please pay no attention to how odds work in that the team that finishes with the worst record probability wise has a better chance to pick #3 than #1.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
you are one that cant play by the rules and understand why the nhl has prevented teams from getting the number overall pick in multiple years and if you go against it, yeah you are going to be buffalo for 30 or 40 years which i dont understand how anyone in the right mindset will rather not see the team make the playoffs for that long because you would rather be a dynasty than winning one cup which is very difficult to do in a cap world.

just seems like fans that want teams to tank want them to be bad. im sure coyotes fans are very happy that team is dumpster fire that cant afford another arena.
Today I learned Buffalo has been tanking for 30 or 40 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garbage Goal

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Buffalo's issue was terrible management and bad choices once they got the high picks.

Their tanking for the highest pick possible worked fine. How can you disagree with that?

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
There is a middle ground between "lose games and hope for a lotto win in the draft" and "go all in every year because losing is unacceptable". The idea isn't to perpetually tank and hope to hit a McDavid.

There is a point in time where you need to assess where you are as a franchise and act accordingly. No one wants to lose, but if you can see you're not going to win, do the following:
- Clear out the scouts that have failed, both at the pro and amateur level
- Weaponize your cap space. If you don't have any, see the next point.
- Trade away players who aren't in your time frame and accrue assets, be they young players or picks
- Use this time to assess your development process and install a staff and systems in the minors that can maximize your return

In short, come at this period with a plan that isn't just to keep grasping and hoping you might scrape by. There are times when a house isn't salvageable and trying to make repair after repair is just throwing away money. Demolish it and rebuild it right. Yeah, it's going to be unpleasant living somewhere else while the work is done, but you come back to somewhere you can call home.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Assuming you're a troll is probably giving you too much credit. You really think you have figured something out and are playing 4D chess.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

They ranked like one year. That’s such an overused term.

We want them to acknowledge how bad and hopeless they are and make the necessary moves. Which includes selling off players, accruing assets, changing to correct staff, developing a long term plan, and not wasting assets on players in the now like Tony D.

Nowhere in there are the words tanking or losing mentioned. If that involves losing so be it. They’re going to lose anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
There is a middle ground between "lose games and hope for a lotto win in the draft" and "go all in every year because losing is unacceptable". The idea isn't to perpetually tank and hope to hit a McDavid.

There is a point in time where you need to assess where you are as a franchise and act accordingly. No one wants to lose, but if you can see you're not going to win, do the following:
- Clear out the scouts that have failed, both at the pro and amateur level
- Weaponize your cap space. If you don't have any, see the next point.
- Trade away players who aren't in your time frame and accrue assets, be they young players or picks
- Use this time to assess your development process and install a staff and systems in the minors that can maximize your return

In short, come at this period with a plan that isn't just to keep grasping and hoping you might scrape by. There are times when a house isn't salvageable and trying to make repair after repair is just throwing away money. Demolish it and rebuild it right. Yeah, it's going to be unpleasant living somewhere else while the work is done, but you come back to somewhere you can call home.
Inb4 contrarian brigade claps back with "YoU jUsT wAnT tHe TeAm To bE bAD!", because they are absolutely incapable of the slightest nuance comprehension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad