GDT: Preseason 2 - Canes vs Cats - The Brindy Bowl

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Fensore is so far down the depth chart right now that Coghlan being on a one way should have no impact on whether he gets to see any regular season action this year.

I’m honestly surprised he signed with us given that depth. I thought he might try to wait us out and sign with a team where he could have more opportunity.
He's 5'6" and a defenseman. He'll never be a regular NHLer. Might get a few games on a bad team. As a small guy myself, that's just not the right position. You need mass and leverage to play any real defensive game in the NHL. He won't have a shot at the NHL unless he converts to forward, and he's shown no inclination of wanting to do so.

He's a career AHLer and I'm sure he knows it, which is why he was happy to sign here as he would have been anywhere else. He's making a nice chunk of change to play hockey for a living, even if it's not the kind of generational wealth NHLers get. End of the day, that qualifies as good enough.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
He's 5'6" and a defenseman. He'll never be a regular NHLer. Might get a few games on a bad team. As a small guy myself, that's just not the right position. You need mass and leverage to play any real defensive game in the NHL. He won't have a shot at the NHL unless he converts to forward, and he's shown no inclination of wanting to do so.

He's a career AHLer and I'm sure he knows it, which is why he was happy to sign here as he would have been anywhere else. He's making a nice chunk of change to play hockey for a living, even if it's not the kind of generational wealth NHLers get. End of the day, that qualifies as good enough.

Fensore actually grew to 5'9" while in the NCAA. There's at least a precedent for a D that size in Krug and Grzelcyk. Still extremely unlikely, but a path is there.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Canes still list him at 5'7". ??
"Grew to" generally means "listed measurements were changed to". Calling him 5'9" is utterly comical. And the measurements for small guys in the NHL are always with skates on, so to speak. If he's listed at 5'7" on the Canes site you know he's an inch or two shorter than that.

I think Marty St. Louis also "grew to" 5'9" for a couple of years starting when he was about 30.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
"Grew to" generally means "listed measurements were changed to". Calling him 5'9" is utterly comical. And the measurements for small guys in the NHL are always with skates on, so to speak. If he's listed at 5'7" on the Canes site you know he's an inch or two shorter than that.

I think Marty St. Louis also "grew to" 5'9" for a couple of years starting when he was about 30.
yup...he looked all of 5' 5" last night versus the Cats forwards. It's too bad, he skates like a rocket

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Don't kill the messenger. That's what Boston University said about Fensore, not me!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I played against a guy in college who was maybe 5’5 and was clearly the best player on either team. He did play forward though
Yeah, that's the key. Small forwards can and do have successful, even HoF careers in the NHL. But when the time comes to clear somebody with a Jordan Staal body type from the crease, a guy that small just can't.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Not only did he not grow, according to the post above, he actually shrunk!
I knew I should have translated the inscription on Fensore’s bobble head!

fe5238b0-0ffe-4281-aa73-1ea66031eb01_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad