GDT: Preseason 1 - Canes vs Tampa - its gameday.... kinda

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
You are correct sir.

Interesting (to my nerdy ass, anyway) Halbgewachs pronounces his name ‘wrong’. That is very much a German surname, which means that W ‘should’ be pronounced like a V.

Not that I have any room to talk, my last name is also German, and got even more bastardized when it got anglicized.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
All the PK probably had some to do with that, but I've heard and seen a bunch from Rees. Unger-Sorum as well. Same goes with Hufflepuf (or however you spell it) and even Perlini.

Suzuki-Rees-Unger Forum probably had the best offensive shift of the game for Carolina after Tony's goal.

First overly optimistic statement from a meaningless 2 periods of pre-season hockey: This Unger Sorum kid is a player.
Felix has been good. I wasn't expecting that. Just more from Reese and Suzuki

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Interesting (to my nerdy ass, anyway) Halbgewachs pronounces his name ‘wrong’. That is very much a German surname, which means that W ‘should’ be pronounced like a V.

Not that I have any room to talk, my last name is also German, and got even more bastardized when it got anglicized.
My last name had an Ł turned into an L at Ellis Island, which totally changes the pronunciation. The americanized pronunciation is pretty straightforward though, where explaining the polish one would be a constant irritation, so I'm quite happy with that change.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
My biggest takeaway from this game is the talent level of guys who have zero chance of even playing an NHL game this year, let alone making the roster full time. Screw all the idiots who say that the talent is diluted- the talent level of the sport has never been higher. Most everybody on the ice tonight could play a full season in the NHL and look just fine doing it, but there just isn't enough ice time to go around.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
My biggest takeaway from this game is the talent level of guys who have zero chance of even playing an NHL game this year, let alone making the roster full time. Screw all the idiots who say that the talent is diluted- the talent level of the sport has never been higher. Most everybody on the ice tonight could play a full season in the NHL and look just fine doing it, but there just isn't enough ice time to go around.
Seriously, guys like Shore, Beaul, Bellows...5-10 years ago would easily be full-time NHLers (maybe 3rd/4th liners but still)

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You can also tell how the legit NHLrs aren't really giving it their all during pre-season. Yeah, they'll do it in spurts but much of the time, many of these guys are just taking it easy. Orlov, TDA and Chatfield aren't really skating hard. Hagel and Cirelli have on the PP or when they have the puck, but in the defensive zone and neutral zone, not really giving much effort.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Need more NHL teams, obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad