GWT: Premiere League Round 9

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
More on Herrera from LVG:

That is also why I changed Herrera. It was a fantastic performance and I was very happy with him, but I maybe need him on Wednesday so I had to spare him, and it was the same thing with [Bastian] Schweinsteiger.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You're still clueless what rotation means. United have used several midfield formations this season, depending on fitness of players and tactical plan. Bringing up United fans comments online is rather useless as for example on th biggst Finnish footie messsageboard, many don't botehr to check the Physio Room or read media reports whether a player is even fit when asking for more playing time. One idiot non-United fan even asked there why Shaw wasn't playing a few weeks ago. :facepalm: Said he didn't follow United's matches that much so he had no idea he had a broken leg. That's just one example of how ignorant fans online can be.

Herrera's weakness is his defensive side and physcial play, he simply doesn't fit against every type of opposition RIGHT NOW. Last season he was guilty of ball watching several times when United got scored on. LVG saying he can drop him means exactly that, if he doesn't suit the opponent, there's no use of playing him. His fitness level is also highly relevant in the matter of playing time.

More on Herrera from LVG:

LOL. I'm totally aware of rotation means. With Luis Enrique as the manager of my club I can only know full well what it means. The issue here is that you're clueless as to the difference between and selection. As I already said he was in the squad for five different matches, out of about the ten he's been selected for, where he didn't start and in some cases didn't even play. On top of that it was painfully obvious to anyone smart enough not to have their head up van Gaal's ass that he wasn't playing because van Gaal preferred other players and not because he was being rotated.

It's not remotely useless as an example because that was just a smattering of opinion. That's not to mention another United supporter just mentioned it yesterday as well. The fact that it was a topic of discussion in van Gaal's press conference is further proof. I agree though, fans online can be ignorant, biased even.

Herrera isn't weak defensively. He's proven that over how many seasons now and the stats back it up. In fact last season he had the second most tackles per match according to Whoscored? and in addition to that averaged more than to interceptions per match. In fact one of Falcao's goals came immediately after Ander won the ball back. I only use that example because I remember that match as it was early in the season.

His fitness level if relevant in terms of his playing time only if that's why he's not playing. The matches I'm referencing had little if anything to do with his fitness. I'm clearly not nor have I ever been referring to matches where he was injured, yet you brought it up anyway. On top of that I'm not referring to, nor was the post I quoted, the fact that was he subbed off before the final whistle. Yet you still brought up that latest comment which has nothing to do with what I posted or the post I quoted.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Big day for Wijnaldum. Haven't seen the goals, but I like him as a midfielder because he's good at getting in the box and scoring. Looks like he was lining up out wide though.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
LOL. I'm totally aware of rotation means. With Luis Enrique as the manager of my club I can only know full well what it means. The issue here is that you're clueless as to the difference between and selection. As I already said he was in the squad for five different matches, out of about the ten he's been selected for, where he didn't start and in some cases didn't even play. On top of that it was painfully obvious to anyone smart enough not to have their head up van Gaal's ass that he wasn't playing because van Gaal preferred other players and not because he was being rotated.

It's not remotely useless as an example because that was just a smattering of opinion. That's not to mention another United supporter just mentioned it yesterday as well. The fact that it was a topic of discussion in van Gaal's press conference is further proof. I agree though, fans online can be ignorant, biased even.

Herrera isn't weak defensively. He's proven that over how many seasons now and the stats back it up. In fact last season he had the second most tackles per match according to Whoscored? and in addition to that averaged more than to interceptions per match. In fact one of Falcao's goals came immediately after Ander won the ball back. I only use that example because I remember that match as it was early in the season.

His fitness level if relevant in terms of his playing time only if that's why he's not playing. The matches I'm referencing had little if anything to do with his fitness. I'm clearly not nor have I ever been referring to matches where he was injured, yet you brought it up anyway. On top of that I'm not referring to, nor was the post I quoted, the fact that was he subbed off before the final whistle. Yet you still brought up that latest comment which has nothing to do with what I posted or the post I quoted.

Stats don't show when he failed to run back to cover his man. That happened in last season's first game against Swansea for example.

It's also obvious that LVG is still experimenting too see what midfield line up/squad is the best against which type of opponent. E.g I'm fairly sure Carrick and Scweinsteiger won't start in the home game vs Arsenal.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Stats don't show when he failed to run back to cover his man. That happened in last season's first game against Swansea for example.

It's also obvious that LVG is still experimenting too see what midfield line up/squad is the best against which type of opponent. E.g I'm fairly sure Carrick and Scweinsteiger won't start in the home game vs Arsenal.

So one match? At the end of the day ever player makes defensive errors or doesn't track back when they should. It happens to the best of them. Still Herrera is good defensively compared to the majority of CMs out there, especially those with his offensive talent.

Yeah, and that's part of the problem. That still doesn't change the fact that he's decided to not play Herrera simply because he preferred other players to him. At the end of the day were I a United supporter I'd want to see some consistency in the starting lineup when possible and in that starting lineup I'd want to see Herrera most of the time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wijnaldum has been one of the few bright spots for Newcastle thus far. He has been dangerous every time I've seen Newcastle play, but he's one of those players who can run at the defense. Additionally he is so good at staying hidden during the play and just popping up for that goal scoring chance.

Everton was beyond horrid. They didn't even show up, I don't remember one play which I thought they troubled De Gea.

Mesut Ozil is the Arsenalest player Arsenal have ever had.

Just sooooooooo frustrating. But when he's on, it's sooooooo beautiful.
No doubt about that. :laugh: But lets give him credit, he has been pure ecstasy so far this season. He's running away with the Arsenal MVP IMO if he keeps this up (even over Sanchez).

I might actually have to cheer for this team to win now since even I have to admit, they are playing some wonderful football (and now 2nd in the EPL). Though I thought they were dreadful on the counterattack. It will be interesting to see how Arsenal performs over a long stretch. Wenger's tactics are notoriously inconsistent, lets see how long this team can perform over the next two months in the EPL....because no way we're getting through in the CL. I think Wenger strictly wants to focus on the EPL this season, or it seems like he wants to based on the teams he has put for the CL.

And for the Avs/Shark fans here, having to see Mertesacker start is like witnessing Brad Stuart get top 4 minutes. Just an awful player past his prime.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Big day for Wijnaldum. Haven't seen the goals, but I like him as a midfielder because he's good at getting in the box and scoring. Looks like he was lining up out wide though.

He did play wide left, and as long as he's not under orders to hug the touchline, the role suits him and the team well. After all, if he played centre mid in a 4-4-2 the defensive responsibility would weigh on him, and giving him a free role behind a lone central striker would step on the toes of Perez, who is the team's most intelligent and bravest forward, and who has a happy tendency to score important goals.

Four goals in a single game is an extraordinary achievement, but I'd have appreciated a little less grandstanding in his celebrations. (For an explanation, see the league table, and then search for Newcastle's name in the league cup draw).

Still, Sunday was a heap of fun, and cathartic in the same way the 8-0 over Sheffield Wednesday was in 1999.

Its a game best not thought about too long, mind. All the defenders who played were terrible. Its just that seven had the consolation of not being Sebastien Bassong, who distinguished himself as the worst of the worst.

The centre of midfield was little less accident-prone. The first time I remembered Tettey was playing was in the 84th minute, when he was subbed. Graham Dorrans was every inch the West Brom discard. For the home team, Steve McClaren took inspiration from Mary Shelley, trying to make a competent midfielder by grafting 45 minutes of Tiote onto 45 minutes of Anita. It was a droll idea, but the result was a monstrosity on a par with Frankenstein's creation. Jack Colback looked a paragon of virtue, by dint of hitting a couple of nice passes and desperately throwing his body around near his own goal.

The game marked the return to competitive football of Moussa Sissoko after a nine month absence. He found space smartly, experimented with passing rather than running fast in a straight line, and discovered that the method had its uses. He only watched his man for Norwich's first goal, which was abominable, because Janmaat was having enough trouble as it was (not least marking an inside forward who didn't exist in the build-up to the second goal, when there was an undefended real-life opponent outside him).

Mitrovic's goal was beautiful and Sheareresque. At 4-2, Perez was still willing to be clattered to help the team score, and his quick mind and execution were as vital as ever.

Whether four players can carry seven for long remains to be seen. If Newcastle find more naive opponents than Norwich this season, it'll likely be by looking in the mirror. But the old enemy- hope of better days to come looms on the horizon.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
For the home team, Steve McClaren took inspiration from Mary Shelley, trying to make a competent midfielder by grafting 45 minutes of Tiote onto 45 minutes of Anita. It was a droll idea, but the result was a monstrosity on a par with Frankenstein's creation.

The game marked the return to competitive football of Moussa Sissoko after a nine month absence.

Brilliant.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
One day I want to make a book of Stray Wasp's observations on a football season. Just make it a yearly report and rake in the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad