NFL: Premature 1st game of the 2020 Season debate

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Sorry for this happening way before Super Bowl week, but I've seen some "Way too early" post on ESPN.

With the Chiefs and 49ers making their way to South Beach, something popped into my mind:

What will be the 1st game of the 2020 season (assuming the champs get to host on the Thursday game of Week 1)?

Thanks to this article on NFL.com:

Opponents for each team set for 2020 NFL season

The Chiefs host the Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Patriots, Jets, Falcons, Panthers and Texans.

The 49ers host the Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks, Eagles, Redskins, Dolphins, Bills and Packers.

KC should play either New England or Houston if they win.

SF and GB is my unanimous pick.

Your thoughts?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
49ers should be Seahawks. KC should be Patriots (unless there's a massive change there with no Brady; if that's the case I guess Texans).

Reactions: Boeser Fan

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think it depends on who wins the Super Bowl Chiefs win it's them vs. the Ravens. The 49ers win it's them vs. the Seahawks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Future Kansas City Chiefs Schedules and Opponents | FBSchedules.com
2020 NFL schedule: Here's a look at the regular season home-and-away opponents for all 32 teams

Couple more links to go with the one in the OP. It appears that it's already been determined that the Ravens will host the Chiefs when they play next year. So that probably would rule out that game as a potential banner raiser.

It might not get the most eyeballs, but a Chiefs/Raiders matchup might be fun with it being the "debut" of the Vegas Raiders. 49ers/Seahawks would be more interesting to me than 49ers/Packers.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
If the Chiefs win, it'll be either the Pats (only if Brady returns) or the Texans. If Brady ends up in LA or Vegas then I could see it being either of those teams too but unlikely if not. Unfortunately, as mentioned, the Chiefs don't host the Ravens so that automatically disqualifies that game from opening night but that would be one hell of a start.

If the 49ers win the SB then I'd say it's the Seahawks, 49ers blew out the Packers twice this year in SF so I don't think the league will make that the opening night game especially considering the last 49ers/Seahawks game in SF was one of the best games of past year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With both teams playing in a west division, that means they both play LA, and either the Chargers or Rams hosting the defending Super Bowl champions in the grand opening of that stadium, sounds too good to pass up (especially if the Chargers have Brady).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With both teams playing in a west division, that means they both play LA, and either the Chargers or Rams hosting the defending Super Bowl champions in the grand opening of that stadium, sounds too good to pass up (especially if the Chargers have Brady).
SB winner hosts the game. So don’t expect them to play on the road in LA.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
SB winner hosts the game. So don’t expect them to play on the road in LA.

Not necessarily. If the NFL feels they have a better idea then they will go to it. It just often works out that way.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think the NFL would just reserve Vegas's first home game for the opening Monday night, when they do that stupid 6:30-10 PM doubleheader or whatever it is. There's pretty much it's no way the Chiefs aren't hosting the Pats unless Brady and Bill both take a hike, then it'll probably just be a division game against LA or Denver.

Niners it'll probably be the Seahawks, after the way both Packer games turned out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad