Preliminary Top 50 OHL'ers for the 2023 NHL Draft

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
good timing based on discussion
I only watched one game live (vs Sweden at 5 Nations) but man was he a monster in that one game.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I’ll first say that Barlow would now be number one on this list.

But secondly, I’m not sure if Barlow will ever be the kind of player who can drive the success of his line. Lots of transitional attacks die on his stick and I do believe that there may be some skill limitations at work. But being a complementary piece who has all the strengths that Barlow has brings value too. Similar to Jack Quinn. Goal scorers who don’t have to be sheltered because they play both ends well are hard to find.

To a degree, yes.

I’ll be talking about my new top five on my THN podcast this week.

For those that haven't seen it.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Is bonk top 10 yet?

For me? No. For some others…yes. He’s a pretty divisive prospect among OHL and draft prospect circles right now. I still get flashbacks of the Stuart Percy, Matt Finn, Roland McKeown types when I watch him. He’s moved up a bit in my recent viewings, but he’d still be outside the top 15 for me personally and someone I’d feel more comfortable with in the 90-120 range than the first two rounds.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Do you think there's any chance Mason Vaccari gets a sniff or is his lack of size too much to overcome? He's got better numbers than the only goalie on the list (Costanzo) and he's on a worse team, but he is 2 inches shorter than any other goalie in the NHL in the last 5 years (other than two 5'10" guys who combined for 4 periods).
He was just snubbed from the top prospects game. Look at the last two guys taken, their numbers are terrible and they aren't nearly as good technically.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
internet scouts vs pro scouts. pinelli will be the top guy out of ontario. hes 3rd at best
And only because it is an off year. I like Pinelli as an OHL player. He may have a “Tyler Toffoli” ceiling. But that’s his likely ceiling if everything works out.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
And only because it is an off year. I like Pinelli as an OHL player. He may have a “Tyler Toffoli” ceiling. But that’s his likely ceiling if everything works out.
even cam allen probalby will struggle because hes not as big as some and he needs tob e that much more dynanic.

i find the twitter scouts look way too much at now vs looking at what they will be at the next level. now works with some guys like barlow and to an extent richie, but not with guys who are smaller and will need to be that much better at the next level

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
even cam allen probalby will struggle because hes not as big as some and he needs tob e that much more dynanic.

i find the twitter scouts look way too much at now vs looking at what they will be at the next level. now works with some guys like barlow and to an extent richie, but not with guys who are smaller and will need to be that much better at the next level
I try to find multiple comparables from the past that seem to have many of the same skill sets and then cross reference against the percentage of chance they reach the same ceiling.

When I look at Pinelli, I see a lot of the same comparable as Toffoli, except Pinelli’s skating is much better at the same age. Pinelli is more of a dangler whereas Toffoli was more north-south. Each have a strong shot.

What is the likelihood of Pinelli getting to scoring areas at the NHL level? Will he be strong enough or will his skating likely improve to allow him to get to those spots on the ice? That is a big question for me. He isn’t the type of player that can contribute in other ways. We are seeing similar issues with Robertson in Toronto. You need to get into good scoring positions.

Pinelli has a strong motor and he has the drive. He can take advantage at the OHL level and it’s been impressive to watch as a 17 year old but how will his frame fill out over the next two years? That is where I start to question him as a bonafide prospect. He is clearly a pro player. I question whether he can add other elements to his game to make him more useful than as a scorer from the wing as a complementary player. I don’t see him as a line driver.

Rohrer has a stronger ability to drive his line. He creates more space with his skill in tight. He can bring multiple players to him and dish it in tight. I don’t see Pinelli having that same ability right now. So, is he simply an elite scorer and if so, can that translate at the NHL level or only at the AHL level?

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I don't know if I remember a draft eligible that had 20 goals in 26 games (37 points), was 6'1, two way winger with good feet and compete, who got so little noise around him.

Its odd

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Barlow, Ritchie, Musty then a significant gap to Akey, Allen, Repkopf, Terrance, Pinelli and others that may finish strong

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I don't know if I remember a draft eligible that had 20 goals in 26 games (37 points), was 6'1, two way winger with good feet and compete, who got so little noise around him.

Its odd
I agree Barlow should be getting alot more attention and noise, as others should be getting less.

Barlow, Ritchie, Musty then a significant gap to Akey, Allen, Repkopf, Terrance, Pinelli and others that may finish strong
Barlow should be OHL's best forward out of the group and Bonk and Gibson should be 2 best dmen out of the group at this time.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree Barlow should be getting alot more attention and noise, as others should be getting less.

Barlow should be OHL's best forward out of the group and Bonk and Gibson should be 2 best dmen out of the group at this time.
Gibson; I’ll have to watch more Soo games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad