Preliminary Top 50 OHL Players Eligible for the 2022 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Preliminary Top 50 for the 2022 NHL Entry Draft

It's time for my first official ranking for the 2022 NHL Entry Draft. I say official because I release a preseason ranking in the summer (which can be found here).

The OHL is finally back and man is it awesome. That said, it's important to limit overreactions to hot or cold starts. Some of those currently disappointing, will most definitely pick up their play. And some of those off to blazing starts won't be able to hold that production. This is especially true considering the division heavy approach the league took to start the year as a precaution. With the schedule opening up more starting this week, we should get a better idea of where players (and teams) are at. At the end of the day, it is a cool exercise to go back and look at my first list of the season.

The list includes detailed reports on the Top 30 and small snippets on the other 20 that make up the Top 50.

The strength of this draft crop from the OHL is obviously difficult to truly assess right now. Other than Shane Wright, we're looking at a group of players in their rookie seasons, going through the ups and downs of playing their first OHL year against players who have pro level experience and European league experience (after last year's cancellation and exodus). Right now, I'd probably only grade two OHL players as true first round players (Wright and Poitras), which is similar to what NHL Central Scouting currently has. Will it stay that way? No chance. But I want to see more from a lot of players and I want to see some others sustain their hot starts. That said, I see a lot of people on social media stating how bad this OHL draft crop is. I also don't believe that. I think what people need to remember is that these guys (again minus Wright) are playing their first dozen games above the AAA level. There are going to be bumps in the road. Of course players in other leagues are looking more polished right now.

It's also important to note (for those that aren't familiar with my lists), that I don't include 2nd and 3rd year eligible players on the list (like Peterborough's Tucker Robertson or North Bay's Kyle Jackson). I do a year end list for those players and there are bound to be many of them this draft year.

Without further ado, here's my early season top 50.

1. Shane Wright - Center - Kingston Frontenacs
A lot has been made about his slow start...even if he just captured the league's player of the week. Were we unfair to hype Wright as the preseason favourite for the Red Tilson Trophy? I don't think so. So the fact that he's not Top 10 in league scoring currently is a surprise and is underwhelming. To me, he looks a little hesitant out there. I think that line (with Chromiak) is really missing a physical, high energy player in Zayde Wisdom who can open space and back down defenders. I also think that Kingston's lack of a true top notch offensive defender is hurting the production of all the forwards on the roster (especially on the powerplay where they are routinely using five forwards on the top unit). Does this " above average" start concern me or change my perception of Wright? Not one bit. He's still one of the most intelligent and most complete players that I've seen come through the OHL. His attention to detail is something that can only truly be admired through live viewings, as you see how strong his positioning and anticipation is away from the puck. He's not a Connor McDavid kind of player who will bring fans out of their seats with electric one on one moves. He takes a much more subtle approach. The comparisons to the likes of Patrice Bergeron and Jonathan Toews types are apt. I have faith that when all is said and done, Wright will be top 5 in league scoring.

2. Matthew Poitras - Center - Guelph Storm

I can't say enough good things about this strong potential two-way center based on his terrific start to the season. There are a few guys that I'm concerned won't be able to sustain their hot starts. Poitras is not one of them. He is really elevating the play of those around him and his performance this year has been remarkably consistent (in the offensive end), even if he's not hitting the scoresheet. He does pretty much everything at a high level and I think he thinks the game at a high level too. His play away from the puck has the potential to be a major strength as he improves his consistency in the defensive and neutral zones. He shows the ability to make terrific plays with his stick to force turnovers in the neutral and defensive zones. And with his quickness and vision, he can start the breakout quickly and turn things around for the Storm, flipping the script. It's just about finding the endurance and drive to be "on" at all times when he doesn't have the puck. I also have been very impressed with Poitras' ability to navigate traffic and work through it. There is certainly room for him to add strength to be more difficult to separate from the puck, but his edge work and ability to move East/West really creates space for himself and helps him shed defenders. When defenders lose him, he has a high level shot too. Again, I don't see a lot of weaknesses in his game (other than the two-way consistency part) and I think he projects as a high end second line center who can play in all situations as a pro.

3. Bryce McConnell-Barker - Center/Left Wing - Soo Greyhounds
While the consistency hasn't always been there this year so far, I'm still a big fan of BMB and his future NHL potential. I think he's done a pretty good job of adjusting to playing the wing, simplifying his approach to use his quickness to be a factor on the forecheck and to drive the net. He has shifted back and forth between center and the wing, but has shown the ability to lead the charge into the offensive zone with control in either instance. I'm really curious to see how he looks in the second half as right now I think he's still building up his confidence with the puck. There are instances where I wish he was more aggressive, peeling off or dumping in, even though he has a window. And I do think his shot is a major asset, but he needs to do a better job of moving his feet more consistently in the offensive zone to earn those looks, especially in the slot. At his highest potential, I do think McConnell-Barker can be a quick, goal scoring, two-way center who can play through an NHL team's middle of the lineup. At worst, his speed should still play as a potential Blake Coleman type on the wing as he learns to become a little more aggressive away from the puck. After a bit of a slow start, he's coming on strong of late.

4. Hunter Haight - Center - Barrie Colts
The production hasn't consistently been there as of yet (didn't I just start the previous write-up like that?), but Haight still has among the highest offensive potential of any player eligible from the OHL this year because of his speed and creativity combination. Haight's quickness is extremely evident when you watch him play. He loves to push the pace and has the hands to play with the puck at full speed already. I have been impressed (mostly) with Haight's ability to use his speed to breakup plays in the defensive zone too. Highly skilled players who show potential buy-in in the defensive end do not grow on trees. Offensively, Haight has all the tools. The shot is high end. He can keep the puck on a string to make defenders miss down low and prolong possession. The vision and playmaking ability is good. I think the lack of strength and size is the biggest issue right now with his game. There are times where he's getting bullied down low or near the net and just isn't able to finish plays or avoid turnovers. Against his peers at the U18 camp for Hockey Canada in the summer, he was able to dominate the high traffic areas with his skill, but that has been harder for him against bigger and older defenders to start the year. In a year where the OHL may not have a ton of high upside offensive players, Haight still stands out as a possible first rounder.

5. Ty Nelson - Defense - North Bay Battalion
There are times where Nelson looks like a young Ryan Ellis out there for the Battalion, controlling play in the offensive zone with his mobility and ability to get pucks through to the net. He absolutely loves to shoot the puck and he has a cannon. Physically, the two are very similar to each other; stocky and compact. Nelson is at his best when he is controlling the point on the powerplay as he identifies passing and shooting lanes well and always seems to keep his feet moving to help create gaps in coverage. He is aggressive in trying to slide down low to get himself a look from the slot and, as mentioned, the shot is a weapon. As far as defensive play and decision making, that's where things have been a little more inconsistent. He has had some really strong games at both ends. He has had some not so great performances. Nelson needs to do a better job of ID'ing those breakout lanes early in the defensive end. Whether that means an opportunity to escape with his feet or with a clean exit pass, it doesn't matter. However, forecheckers have given him a bit of a tough time and turnovers have been an issue. Physically, he always competes, but at times this over assertiveness takes him out of the play and leads to him running around the defensive zone. Yes, Nelson needs to play with fire because of his lack of stature. However, his mobility is something he needs to do a better job of utilizing as a defensive player, keeping tighter gaps rather than always trying to bully. He needs to keep himself more square to the play in the defensive end. He has a tendency to overcommit and put his back to the other side of the ice. Additionally, he has a habit of leaving his feet and sliding to try to make plays. There is a time and a place for that, of course, but other times he gets himself completely taken out of the play. All that said, Nelson is playing a huge role for one of the better teams in the Conference so far and he is one of the higher scoring defenders in the league right now. I guess my issue is that I'm still not sure what role he plays at the NHL level at five on five. We have lots of time to figure that out.

6. Pavel Mintyukov - Defense - Saginaw Spirit
7. Paul Ludwinski - Left Wing/Center - Kingston Frontenacs
8. Gavin Hayes - Right Wing - Flint Firebirds
9. Spencer Sova - Defense - Erie Otters
10. David Goyette - Center - Sudbury Wolves
11. Vinzenz Rohrer - Center - Ottawa 67's
12. Matyas Sapovaliv - Center - Saginaw Spirit
13. Liam Arnsby - Center - North Bay Battalion
14. Danny Zhilkin - Center - Guelph Storm
15. Owen Beck - Center - Mississauga Steelheads
16. Pano Fimis - Center - Niagara IceDogs
17. Kirill Kudryavtsev - Defense - Soo Greyhounds
18. Servac Petrovsky - Center - Owen Sound Attack
19. Jorian Donovan - Defense - Hamilton Bulldogs
20. Beau Jelsma - Left Wing/Center - Barrie Colts

See the full top 50 and all comments at the link.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
Your list proves that you haven’t scouted every player. You should keep it to yourself until you do. A top 5 is potential first round and should be all about consistency. Haight and McConnell-Barker don’t belong in it at the moment.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Your list proves that you haven’t scouted every player. You should keep it to yourself until you do. A top 5 is potential first round and should be all about consistency. Haight and McConnell-Barker don’t belong in it at the moment.

So if the OHL only has 2 potential first rounders then what he just does a top 2 list? How can you say a top 5 is all 1st rounders. That's entirely dependent on who's in the league. If there are 0 1st rounders, there still will be 5 players in the OHL top 5 every year lmao

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
His top 5 should be the best players he saw this year playing in the OHL . My two cent.

Last edited:

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
I read all that Brock takes the time to share with us. I always respect his opinion (doesn’t mean I always agree) but to suggest he doesn’t do his homework or know his stuff is absurd

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Where's your list?

I do appreciate the support that everyone here (yourself included) always provides on this site.

But I don't think buzzer beater needs to provide his own list in order to have an opinion. People in my position need to be able to handle criticism and realize that in scouting there are always going to be differences in opinion. You won't please everyone and I'm always happy to respond to the good and the bad.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I do appreciate the support that everyone here (yourself included) always provides on this site.

But I don't think buzzer beater needs to provide his own list in order to have an opinion. People in my position need to be able to handle criticism and realize that in scouting there are always going to be differences in opinion. You won't please everyone and I'm always happy to respond to the good and the bad.
For what it's worth I do look forward to seeing how your list evolves over the year. Definitely try to take in some Sudbury vs North Bay games if you can, a ton of good prospects on both teams.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA

Couldn't that be said about every player on this list right now (including Shane Wright)? These guys (for the most part) are playing in their first dozen or so games in the OHL. Consistency is going to be the last thing that comes and many of them are struggling with it.

It's also all about circumstance right now. Let's take a guy like David Goyette. He's playing as a first line center on a talented team and receiving significant special teams responsibility. Compare that with BMB who has shifted back and forth between positions and does not see significant or consistent responsibility because he is surrounded by some talented veteran players on the Soo. The same could be said with Haight in Barrie.

The reality is, I'm ranking these guys based on their projection five years from now and not how they are playing currently, especially for an early season (preliminary) list. Of course, current play factors in to an extent, but expecting these young men to be consistent impact players right now is unrealistic. For me, a guy like Hunter Haight might be the most creative offensive player in this group outside of Shane Wright and as such, his offensive upside is significant. That's not something you can say about some of the other players sandwiched in this grouping. So for now, he's going to still receive a high grade from me.

That brings me to my next point which I alluded to in my write up. Right now, Shane Wright and possibly Matthew Poitras are the only two first rounders in my book. The rest of the group is on the fringe. And in that fringe, the grouping is EXTREMELY close. That group ranked 3-15 or 16 could really be ranked in any order right now. If someone said to me "I've got Owen Beck ahead of Haight and BMB right now," I wouldn't bat an eye. That would be logical and easily explained. As mentioned, we're a dozen games into their OHL careers, we know some...but not enough about these guys yet. We will see separation eventually and tiers will be formed. 100% there are players and teams I have seen more than others early on. That is inevitable. But I am going to put out lists anyway as I do every year around this time. It is meant to be informative and is certainly not gospel. My opinion on players will change over the course of the year (for good and for bad).

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
Ty Nelson doesn’t seem to be high on any nhl draft list I see. Is there a particular reason? He was taken first overall in the O (granted, Fantilli would have been if he chose to stay in ontario), and he seems to be producing at a reasonable rate this year. Is it his size? Defensive ability? Or just something to do with projecting him in the future and his potential isn’t as high as others his age?

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Ty Nelson doesn’t seem to be high on any nhl draft list I see. Is there a particular reason? He was taken first overall in the O (granted, Fantilli would have been if he chose to stay in ontario), and he seems to be producing at a reasonable rate this year. Is it his size? Defensive ability? Or just something to do with projecting him in the future and his potential isn’t as high as others his age?
It’s his size and how that projects, with his skill set in mind, to the NHL. It helps that he has a great attitude and high end work ethic though.
How he progresses this yea will be a big factor (duh). But if he continues his year in any upward trAjectory then I wouldn’t be surprised if he snuck late 1st/early 2nd despite size

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
It’s his size and how that projects, with his skill set in mind, to the NHL. It helps that he has a great attitude and high end work ethic though.
How he progresses this yea will be a big factor (duh). But if he continues his year in any upward trAjectory then I wouldn’t be surprised if he snuck late 1st/early 2nd despite size
Craig button just put out his November rankings. Nelson at 10 on that list

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
Couple local guys from my area have had really strong starts and I’m a little surprised they didn’t crack the list. Nice to see Ethan Larmand get some love he has adjusted well since his rookie season.

Another kid from our area is Brett Bressette, missed all of minor midget pretty much with a serious injury, played JR B for a year avg over a point a game at 16 and missed his first year in the OHL due to covid. He is avg a point a game pace with Erie in his first real season.

also Chas Sharpe from our area, big smooth skating Dman who is starting to hit his stride. Right handed shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad