Preliminary Media/Scout Poll of the top OHL eligibles for 2024

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Time for the first media/scout poll for the 2024 NHL Draft!

For those unfamiliar with how this works, I poll many of the OHL's brightest minds; those who cover the league incredibly well and know the OHL inside, and out. These contributors supply me with their top 10 available players from the OHL, in addition to some comments. I then put it all together and provide you with a cumulative list. Call it "the consensus."

Views on the quality of this OHL crop vary depending on who you ask. I’ve heard everything from, “this is the worst group from the OHL that I can remember,” to, “it’s on the average side of things.” Where do I stand? I don’t think it’s a strong crop, but I also wouldn’t call it among the worst I’ve seen. Overall, I’m not particularly enamored with this draft class outside of Celebrini, and I think the OHL simply mimics this. But we’re still only half way through the draft season, so let’s see how things finish out.

As always, this list involves contributions from a rather colourful cast of characters. Contributing their rankings and thoughts to this preliminary list for 2024 were:

Corey Pronman - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@coreypronman)

Dominic Tiano - Creator of The OHL Writers (@dominictiano)

Ryan Kennedy - Editor in Chief for The Hockey News (@THNRyanKennedy)

Scott Wheeler - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@scottcwheeler)

Peter Baracchini - Draft Content at The Hockey Writers (@PBaracchini)

Mike Morreale - Staff writer for NHL.com (@mikemorrealeNHL)

Josh Tessler - Director of Scouting for Smaht Scouting (@JoshTessler_)

Tony Ferrari – NHL Draft Content for The Hockey News (@theTonyFerrari)

Joely Stockl – OHL Content for The Hockey News (@joelystockl04)

Josh Bell - Head of Video Scouting for McKeen's Hockey (@JoshuaBell31)

Chase Rochon - OHL Regional Scout for McKeen's Hockey (@chaserochon18)

and of course...myself (@BrockOtten)

Here's the List:

1. Sam Dickinson - Defense - London Knights

Highest Ranking: 1st (12x)
Lowest Ranking: -
Total Votes: 12
Comments:
“You just don't find many defenders like Dickinson anymore. He's big, physical and defensively advanced for his age, plus he has some offense to go with it as well. London's development program for him turned out to be perfect and his NHL impact is easy to project. Can't see him needing too much more time to get there, either.” - Ryan Kennedy

“London Knights’ defender Sam Dickinson might just be the top defender available in this draft class. Compared to the other defenders in the OHL (and the first round of the NHL Draft altogether), he’s arguably the best in his own end. His processing under pressure stands out, often making the best decision even when forced to make a choice. He can make some mistakes, but his processing and intelligence are a tier above the rest. His offensive ceiling likely isn’t as high as others available, but his overall impact is very intriguing.” - Josh Bell

“He's a very powerful skater but very elusive, too. He can beat opponents in a lot of ways and he recognizes opportunities. He's going to be a big producer from the back end. It's impressive that he's playing top-pair minutes, top power play on a team that's pretty loaded with drafted players. The other thing is he's really improved his D-zone exits and when that passing opportunity is there, he does it and he does it on the backhand as good as anyone.” - Mike Morreale

“Dickinson is a do-it-all defenseman who hasn’t quite figured out exactly what it is that he wants to be elite at as of yet. In one game, he’s an offensive transition machine, skating the puck up ice and creating off the rush. In another game, he’s reserved and plays steady and stable defense, forcing play to the outside and killing cycles along the wall. In his next game, he will be a creative offensive activator who can make some really impressive things happen in the offensive zone. The issue is that he hasn’t been able to put everything together at once. The potential is there but he needs to bring everything together.” - Tony Ferrari

“Sam Dickinson is not just the top defender coming out of the OHL, but he’s my top defender overall in this draft class that can thrive at the next level. He already has the mobility and smooth skating stride for his size to be a factor in transition and lead an attack. He excels at scanning and identifying lanes to carry the play forward or even make crisp, strong and clean breakout passes. He has a booming one-timer from the point and does a great job of knowing when to activate and engage in the offensive zone. The big thing for him is to continue to find consistency with his production, but he’s already showing progress and becoming more of a factor with the minutes and power play time he’s earning. Even without the puck, the awareness he possesses is strong. He can quickly cut down lanes, showing great gap control and get into the passing lanes and break plays up. Given his size, he knows when to engage physically, overpowering players in the corners and in front of the net. That edge and the smarts on both sides of the puck will generate a lot of interest from teams looking for a defender that can have the foundations of a steady two-way defenseman.” - Peter Baracchini

“I don’t think we’ve seen a more complete defenceman come out of the OHL at the age of seventeen in a long time. Dickinson’s poise and maturity make him easily projectable to the next level.” - Joely Stockl

“It’s the year of the defenceman and Dickinson is the best of the class in my opinion. Great NHL size already, but can move well north-south and east west. Defensively, he just kills plays, stays in position and more than capable of riding opponents out. He is excellent when transitioning with a good pass or skating it himself. He reads the plays extremely well and times his joining the rush perfectly. Others are providing more offence than he is right now, but he’s not getting the prime powerplay time or the prime offensive opportunities.” - Dominic Tiano

“I think that Dickinson is unquestionably the top draft prospect out of the OHL this year. He’s by far the safest bet to be an impact NHL player. I have zero doubts about his defensive ability transitioning. The size, reach, and mobility combination is rare. The physicality and assertiveness are inconsistent, but I also have little doubt that as he matures, this becomes a non issue. I really appreciate how consistently Dickinson starts the breakout effectively. He handles the forecheck so well and trusts his feet to help him escape pressure. His scanning habits are great too. That poise is going to treat him well at the next level. I think what I’m most concerned about is the offensive upside. I’m just not particularly confident that Dickinson is innately creative or skilled enough to be a primetime offensive play creator at the NHL level. He can get boxed in, inside the offensive zone, and he can struggle to navigate the neutral zone; turnovers have been a bit of an issue. I’ve seen comparisons to the likes of Alex Pietrangelo or Noah Dobson thrown around, but I saw more skill from those two as junior aged players. I think Dickinson profiles more as a Darnell Nurse, Brady Skjei type. That’s not a terrible thing at all. But it’s more in line with those #2-3 prototypes, rather than a perennial Norris candidate.” - Brock Otten

2. Zayne Parekh - Defense - Saginaw Spirit
Highest Ranking: 2nd (7x)
Lowest Ranking: 4th (3x)
Comments:
“Zayne Parekh looks to be slightly polarizing in this draft class but perhaps we forget: putting up points in junior as a defender, more often than not, leads to NHL success. And Parekh knows how to put up points - he’s on pace for 95 points this season. He’s second in the league among defenders in points. He’s just so fun to watch. He can burn teams with his ability to create offense, both with his feet and with his playmaking. His mobility is borderline elite and he can dance along the blue line or zoom down the ice. His decision-making is the big red flag for some, which is valid as he can make some questionable plays and does turn the puck over. That comes with how much he carries the puck though and the freedom he’s been given. The rewards outweigh the risks here.” - Josh Bell

“The confusing case of Zayne Parekh has been one of the more fascinating things to track this year. He scores a boatload of goals and racks up points but the way he does it just isn’t translatable. His game is so predicated on his team giving him the green light to fully activate as a fourth forward. Parekh has a great shot and his skill is solid. He gets plenty of his assists from firing shots on net and rebounds being buried. There isn’t a player in the NHL that plays the way Parekh does. His defensive game is reluctant and timid, avoiding contact and lacking any awareness. Is he Shayne Gostisbehere/Tony DeAngelo or is he TJ Brennan/Ryan Merkley?” - Tony Ferrari

“A lot of times offensive defencemen are very one-dimensional, but Parekh’s improved defensive ability and edge provides some complexity to his game. Players hate playing against him, he has this sort of confidence and swag that gets into other player’s heads, and that has proven to be such a valuable attribute in today’s NHL.” - Joely Stockl

“Started off his career as a high risk/high reward kind of player, but it feels like the "reward" part has really taken over. Parekh is a deadly offensive defenseman who continues to work on the defensive side of things and the fact Saginaw is hosting the Memorial Cup means guaranteed high-pressure experience this spring.” - Ryan Kennedy

“When he's on the ice, everything flows through him. He controls the game. A real good skater, good edge work that he can use to be very elusive. He's an excellent passer. If a teammate is open, he'll find him with the puck. He's got great hockey sense, elite puck skills, and he can rush it up and pass it up, but it's going the other way pretty quick once it's on his stick.” - Mike Morreale

“I think my contemporaries have done a great job of painting the picture on Parekh. If he hits, he’s going to hit big; he’s a unique player. The creativity is truly elite. I think he’s better defensively than people give him credit for. He has a good stick and defensive instincts. You can see that in the offensive zone and neutral zone when he’s trying to disrupt the breakout (to earn touches). In the defensive zone, it’s been more erratic, but I do think that it has been trending up in recent months. Given Saginaw’s unique structure and the freedoms that they provide defenders, scouts can have a difficult time determining likelihood of translation. We saw this with Pavel Mintyukov to a certain extent. Yet, I don’t see anyone complaining about Mintyukov now that he’s in the NHL with Anaheim and playing extremely well. Maybe the Spirit are onto something from a development perspective; prioritizing and fostering creativity. NHL teams can alter the player’s perception of systems and structure, the way Anaheim has with Mintyukov. But, they need junior programs to develop skill and build confidence the way Saginaw has. I think what ultimately works against Parekh is the fact that there are so many impressively built defensive prospects in this draft with well rounded profiles. It’s easy to see why they would be prioritized because there’s similar upside in terms of true NHL impact (at both ends), but with safer floors.” - Brock Otten

3. Liam Greentree - Wing - Windsor Spitfires
Highest Ranking: 2nd (2x)
Lowest Ranking: 8th (1x)
Comments:
“I think a lot of parallels can be made between Greentree and Jason Robertson at the same age. Scouts undervalued Robertson at that age because of perceived skating weaknesses, but I don’t think they’ll do the same with Greentree. Do I wish he were a more explosive skater? Absolutely. Do I wish his off puck play and physicality were more consistent? Definitely. But, this is a big winger that oozes skill and creativity. He’s tough to box in and he plays through the middle of the ice. As he builds strength, he’s going to be a load to handle with his hands and finishing ability. Even more importantly, he’s also a highly intelligent offensive player who can play a supporting role when it is called for. Recently named captain of the Spitfires as an 18 year old, I have a ton of time for Greentree as a potential lottery selection.” - Brock Otten

“A big, skilled winger who has insane puck control and a diverse offensive tool set is a valuable player. Greentree plays with power, skill, and his ability to act as a facilitator or goal scorer is impressive, especially on a putrid Windsor Spitfires team. He certainly has a tendency to float a bit defensively which can be an issue but when he’s being relied upon so heavily offensively, it’s not uncommon at the junior level. Greentree is strong along the boards and when he is in a puck battle, he comes out with it or finds a way to get the puck to a teammate with regularity. Greentree can absolutely rip it. If he can do this with a terrible supporting cast, imagine what this guy could do with a better environment.” - Tony Ferrari

“Arguably one of the biggest risers early this season, Liam Greentree has just about matched his 2022-23 output in just half the games this year. What might be the most impressive is that the winger is doing it on the lowly Windsor Spitfires team. He’s been a huge bright spot in a rough season for the team, currently tied for the lead in points. Greentree brings that coveted combination of size and skill that NHL teams drool over. He’s truly found how to use his size to his advantage this season, with his puck protection and strength in puck battles. He seems to always win puck battles and then with the puck on his stick - watch out. He has confidence, vision, and a great shot. His skating needs to improve, but I’ve always said that skating can be worked on. The foundation that Greentree has is worth it.” - Josh Bell

“It’s tough to find a goal-scorer that can utilize their size consistently at a young age. Liam Greentree continues to do just that in his draft year. He led all rookies in scoring last season with 25 goals and he’s once again in the thick of things being one of the more dangerous goal scorers in this class. As mentioned, Greentree uses his size to his advantage, both in puck protection and engaging physically to win puck battles constantly. Although his speed isn’t the best, he does move well for his 6-foot-2, 198-pound frame. He shows a great work ethic consistently and displays good habits when on the attack. The way he reads a situation as it unfolds is evident. He’s quick to take advantage of situations and turnovers, leading him to make himself open and use his quick release when getting to the middle of the ice.” - Peter Baracchini

"Greentree always seems to be well engaged on the forecheck and has excellent north - south speed to get himself into position to apply pressure. When he has the puck on his stick, he does an excellent job of managing pace and incorporates delays as he looks to push play to the interior. Greentree has shown to be dynamic on the rush and mid-cycle. Plus, he's got a cannon of a shot." - Josh Tessler

4. Beckett Sennecke
5. Henry Mews
6. Luke Misa
7. Jett Luchanko
8. Cole Beaudoin
9. Ryerson Leenders
10. Lukas Fischer

See the link above for the rest of the write ups and HM's.

Happy to answer any questions!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm enjoying your stuff and I value some others listed quite a bit as well. Definitely some of the best in the business on the list...so no offense to you... but I doubt everyone on your list is actually watching OHL. Certainly the athletic clowns aren't and I'm personally not sure about others like say Morreale as well. I like Morreale, I'm just not sure he's necessarily focused on the OHL all that much. I think it's a very interesting concept and I'll definitely take a look but at first glance my suggestion would be to shorten your list to make sure all contributions are of the same standard. Sometimes less is more.

Last edited:

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Was there any consideration for Battaglia? I've seen a lot of Kingston games and think Battaglia has been far and away better than Thibodeau this year. Thibodeau has the flashy skill but he's killed a lot of plays by over handling the puck and not passing the puck.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Was there any consideration for Battaglia? I've seen a lot of Kingston games and think Battaglia has been far and away better than Thibodeau this year. Thibodeau has the flashy skill but he's killed a lot of plays by over handling the puck and not passing the puck.

He did not receive any votes and was not mentioned by anyone as an HM.

For me personally, he's outside of a glut of guys I think are in that second round range. I think scouts are having a tough time with his projection. Good size, but everything else grades out around average for the NHL level. I think the IQ is the most appealing thing.

I do agree about having him ahead of Thibodeau though.

Cristoforo isnt a top-10 OHL D, yet alone a top-10 player

At this point, I’d probably agree with this. He’d be much lower on my own personal list which you can expect to see in the next week or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00