Pre-Game Talk: Pregame Positivity - Oilers v Canes Wednesday 5 PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The way McDavid and Drai played in their own end on Monday should be enough to make a coach not want to play them together ever again, but I guess not.

Accountability is splitting them, making it clear to them why, and then not reuniting them for a while. Seems like no matter who we have on the bench they are petrified of that conversation with these two or Bouchard.
Yeah. Its hard to believe its the coach at this point. Either someone above or the players seem to be calling the shots. The lineup always just seems to go back to the same place, regardless of the coach.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah. Its hard to believe its the coach at this point. Either someone above or the players seem to be calling the shots. The lineup always just seems to go back to the same place, regardless of the coach.

Because McDavid and Draisaitl produce goals when put together.

Which of the 4 Florida goals against where even McDavid/Draisaitl's fault last game?

3rd goal Broberg falls over a stick don't even think they were on the ice, 4th goal has Bouchard pinching at center ice like a dummy.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Love that stability. Week on the job and KK has already threw his hands up in the air.

Glad that we paid Brown's bonus for him to play on the fourth line.

Kulak on the first pairing. Why not at this point.

Le sigh.

Nah I think they are ok. I think Lavoie went down to make room for Janmark.

Strange D pairings indeed.

Shows on CF we have only 65k in space with Janmark in LTIR so wouldn’t that put us over once he’s off LTIR necessitating one of the emergency recalls to go down?

Maybe it’s 29 and 97 insisting they play together.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
DNB is insinuating McD still injured FWIW

Still, McD with Drai leads to piss poor habits.

Guess this season is lost. Holland and our goalies can go to the sun

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’ve been in the South Pacific for almost 5 weeks and have only been able to follow the disaster by stat watching. We fly out of Ft Lauderdale to get home so we decided to stay a day and watch the game against the Oanthers since it happened to line up.

It’s extremely disappointing that our leaders and best players continue to be the most guilty of terrible defensive play. Even with the season hanging in the balance it’s the same old from those two. Cheating for offense, blowing the zone, losing their man in the defensive zone, constantly getting caught below the puck, low percentage plays and passes resulting in turnovers. I saw all of that in the Florida game.

And that play rubs off on everyone they play with because the expectation is that they have to score so proper play gets thrown out the window in order to try and keep up with 97/29. A perfect example was the Ekholm clearing play. You could say it’s bad luck hitting Hyman but Ekholm is supposed to be one of our most steady players, if everyone is where they are supposed to be he probably has more time to make a play and he probably goes up the board with it. Instead, while the puck is below our dots, Mcdavid is at the opponents blue line, Draisaitl is at the red line and Ekholm attempts to force it up the middle to them.

Goaltending has been horrific from what I understand but if your best players can’t be bothered to play the right way when the season is in the balance then I don’t see how you hold anyone else to account.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
DNB is insinuating McD still injured FWIW

Still, McD with Drai leads to piss poor habits.

Guess this season is lost. Holland and our goalies can go to the sun

Torn hip flexor is a 6 week recovery if that's what he has. We're only in week 4, so that would make sense. Today is exactly 4 weeks and 1 day past Oct 21 when McDavid was forced to sit out the end of the Jets game.

That said I'm seeing signs of his speed and hands returning.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
I can appreciate all the optimism is this thread. I just don't see us winning enough games allowing 3.88 GPG which is only bested by the lowly Sharks.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’ve been in the South Pacific for almost 5 weeks and have only been able to follow the disaster by stat watching. We fly out of Ft Lauderdale to get home so we decided to stay a day and watch the game against the Oanthers since it happened to line up.

It’s extremely disappointing that our leaders and best players continue to be the most guilty of terrible defensive play. Even with the season hanging in the balance it’s the same old from those two. Cheating for offense, blowing the zone, losing their man in the defensive zone, constantly getting caught below the puck, low percentage plays and passes resulting in turnovers. I saw all of that in the Florida game.

And that play rubs off on everyone they play with because the expectation is that they have to score so proper play gets thrown out the window in order to try and keep up with 97/29. A perfect example was the Ekholm clearing play. You could say it’s bad luck hitting Hyman but Ekholm is supposed to be one of our most steady players, if everyone is where they are supposed to be he probably has more time to make a play and he probably goes up the board with it. Instead, while the puck is below our dots, Mcdavid is at the opponents blue line, Draisaitl is at the red line and Ekholm attempts to force it up the middle to them.

Goaltending has been horrific from what I understand but if your best players can’t be bothered to play the right way when the season is in the balance then I don’t see how you hold anyone else to account.

Where were you in the South Pacific?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
On a positive note: for a brief period after every game against Carolina, nothing in my life seems to anger me as much as the game I just sat through. Also for short period of time any embarrassing moments in my life seem to pale in comparison to seeing the lameass hockey players with zero personality (carolina buncha jerks) performing Kindergarten musical theater at centre ice. I guess that's a win.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Because McDavid and Draisaitl produce goals when put together.

Which of the 4 Florida goals against where even McDavid/Draisaitl's fault last game?

3rd goal Broberg falls over a stick don't even think they were on the ice, 4th goal has Bouchard pinching at center ice like a dummy.
Edm had played pretty decent defensively the previous 4 games before last game where it was a train wreck. Players like Bouchard took the night off for whatever reason. The lack of compete was truly bad. But it was getting better.

they play well, goaltending let’s them down. Goaltending is alright that game, the team decides to not skate. Other things are stuff like taking a bad penalty at a key time, can’t score on a game deciding pp etc. It’s always something it seems. at least it’s never dull watching an oilers game. you wonder what bonehead thing they will do to cost themselves. Lol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Ceci has been pretty reasonable so far this year also.

Really curious choice.

This kind of makes me scratch my head too.

I dont mind changing the pairings around because the defense as a whole hasnt gotten it done.

But the move almost makes it look like Ceci has let Nurse down. Its not really Ceci's fault that the organization has him playing above what hes capable of or that Nurse isnt able to elevate the play of the pairing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Game 5 of the Knob's coaching career and McDrai are together, our 4 million dollar free agent is rotating in on the 4th line and our worst Dman is on the top pairing on his off side. Things are going to be great.
With the Oilers, the answer to the question "Can it get any worse?" is always yes.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
A guess one positive is that I'll be on the road to the in-laws for Thanksgiving and won't be able to watch the Oilers have another fun adventure in the Southeast US.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
IMO I would bench Bouchard 5 on 5 and simply only play him on the PP only.

You want to play 5 on 5, you better learn to play defense then.
The problem with that is it means one of Desharnais or Broberg land in the top 4. Yikes.

Speaking of positive things, I have to work during the game. Ahh, too bad.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its pretty short on the runway so far. I don't think the Holloway injury helped either. We're suddenly short forwards. Interesting that Gagner was healthy scratched and for years thats been the thing with Gagner. Can play some good games and then just goes in a hole. he can't maintain.

One thing I liked last game is KK going right back to Broberg after the broken stick goal. It wasn't his fault, and Woody would have benched him after that and has. You make sacrifices in short game for longterm benefit. So you live with Brobergs struggles and keep sending him out there. Booch too.

As for Kulak he's been one of the better looking D since KK and Coffey got here. He's using his skating skills more and for some reason he gets off that and needs reminders.

Yet still leading the team in points.
Its another troll poster.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
IMO I would bench Bouchard 5 on 5 and simply only play him on the PP only.

You want to play 5 on 5, you better learn to play defense then.

I don't know, wouldn't that be rewarding him. Then he doesn't "have to play" 5 on 5.

I'm joking to follow the narrative, I don't actually feel he's as bad as most claim, just an easy target. For example, some of the criticism he received Monday for stepping up on a player at the red line (with good coverage) leading to a goal, Ekholm did the exact same play on the same spot on the ice but the rest of the team covered it better and the goalie made the save.

Why is one "the worst defensive player in the NHL" and the other "just a hard physical player"

Janmark is on LTIR so one of the emergency recalls Erne or Hamblin will have to go down I would think?
They aren't really emergency recalls anymore. They had the cap room to fit them in. In fact they have over $1M in LTIR salary pool at the moment.

I think they have the cap for 13 forwards actually, they should just carry 12 though as it allows us to pay more of Brown's 4 mill this year.
Not right now because we're into LTIR. Would only help once Holloway is back.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad