Pre-Game Talk: Pregame canesisles game 3

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Marty says “See you Wednesday, boys.” So it sounds like he’ll be back in the lineup at least. And with how close Svechnikov has been, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back as well.

No word about Ferland. Most recent news, I believe, was his tweet saying he’s been rehabbing in Raleigh, but no word on how close he may or may not be.

So we’re getting some fresh bodies back for Game 3. Hopefully Petr as well, but no need to push it if he’s not 100%. McBackup was McStarter for us when we needed it most this season, and he can do it again if the need be.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
lol. so is literally what our board looked like when I checked this morning. All injury threads! :: laughs and cries at the same time:

upload_2019-4-29_9-10-52.png

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
All these injuries. Played basically 4 games in 6 days.

Still up 2-0 in the series.

Seriously, this is incredible. And now we are coming back to Raleigh where we have last change and can dictate matchups on the ice, we're able to rest up to recharge, and we're going to get some key players back.

And to think, I was just happy we were in the playoffs

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Brown and Bishop have both been solid as hell. Brown has been quiet, and while not scoring, has been making good decisions and not stupid mistakes.
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. While not making "stupid" mistakes, their puck skills leave a lot to be desired and are leading to problems. For example, while they are in the right positions and making good decisions, I've seen them just not able to cleanly handle passes from teammates and this has led to numerous losses of possession in their own zone or the neutral zone. Those types of turnovers will lead to a goal against if we lose any of the horseshoes we have lodged firmly in our nether regions.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. While not making "stupid" mistakes, their puck skills leave a lot to be desired and are leading to problems. For example, while they are in the right positions and making good decisions, I've seen them just not able to cleanly handle passes from teammates and this has led to numerous losses of possession in their own zone or the neutral zone. Those types of turnovers will lead to a goal against if we lose any of the horseshoes we have lodged firmly in our nether regions.
Even more reason to clench the buttocks..

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Game 3:

The Islanders are too good and the Canes have been very fortunate so far for me to feel confident yet. They hit 4 crossbars last night? Missed about 4 one timers game 1? They haven’t scored off their stick yet but, they will.

I will bet the farm Martinook & Svech plays Wednesday. I doubt Ferland is back until next round, at the earliest. Does Bishop or Brown returned from emergency call up?

Islanders will press hard on Wednesday. Much like the analysis of game 2, try to survive the onslaught and try to get out for odd man rushes. They will be physical and try to force mistakes. Guy have to keep their head up and help get the puck out of the zone.

A couple of early goals might break them.

Although we’ve gone back and forth as a fan base about what Francis did and didn’t do as a GM, his impact is huge so far. The organizational depth is YUGE for us so far.

Francis: Turbo, Aho, Foegele, Wallmark, McKegg, Bishop, TVR, Williams
JR: Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, McGinn, Staal, Brown
Waddell: Nino, Hamilton, Martinook, Maenalenan, Mrazek, McE, Svech, RBA, de Haan

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Game 3:

The Islanders are too good and the Canes have been very fortunate so far for me to feel confident yet. They hit 4 crossbars last night? Missed about 4 one timers game 1? They haven’t scored off their stick yet but, they will.

I will bet the farm Martinook & Svech plays Wednesday. I doubt Ferland is back until next round, at the earliest. Does Bishop or Brown returned from emergency call up?

Islanders will press hard on Wednesday. Much like the analysis of game 2, try to survive the onslaught and try to get out for odd man rushes. They will be physical and try to force mistakes. Guy have to keep their head up and help get the puck out of the zone.

A couple of early goals might break them.

Although we’ve gone back and forth as a fan base about what Francis did and didn’t do as a GM, his impact is huge so far. The organizational depth is YUGE for us so far.

Francis: Turbo, Aho, Foegele, Wallmark, McKegg, Bishop, TVR, Williams
JR: Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, McGinn, Staal, Brown
Waddell: Nino, Hamilton, Martinook, Maenalenan, Mrazek, McE, Svech, RBA, de Haan
I see it differently. The Canes are going to come out in Game 3 looking for blood early. We've been resoundly outplayed this series because we just didn't have the legs to skate with them. After 2 days of rest, we'll have the legs, and we'll be in front of our home ice. The Isles are going to have to withstand a good 5-8 minutes of an onslaught from the Canes to open the game before things settle down. And really, the Canes have come out looking good at the start of the first 2 games on the road, so I'd expect it to happen at home, too. Just, this time you'll have 19k loud Caniacs backing their every move to give them the psychological boost they didn't have on the road.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I see it differently. The Canes are going to come out in Game 3 looking for blood early. We've been resoundly outplayed this series because we just didn't have the legs to skate with them. After 2 days of rest, we'll have the legs, and we'll be in front of our home ice. The Isles are going to have to withstand a good 5-8 minutes of an onslaught from the Canes to open the game before things settle down. And really, the Canes have come out looking good at the start of the first 2 games on the road, so I'd expect it to happen at home, too. Just, this time you'll have 19k loud Caniacs backing their every move to give them the psychological boost they didn't have on the road.
This is why having opposing opinions is a good thing.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
The isles I think, are not giving us credit.

"shit bounce"
"only played 48 seconds of good hockey"

let's hope we do NOT do the same Wednesday. This is the team that swept the Pens. Play them like the threat they are. Caps would be burying 75% of the looks they've had. The Islanders wont continue .

I think our PP is so snakebit that the ONLY thing that can improve it, is a fresh start and new season. I don't even think its repairable at this point, it's so bad. Granted, Isles have the best PK in the playoffs, but still, 1:30 of 5v3, and 1 shot?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think our PP is so snakebit that the ONLY thing that can improve it, is a fresh start and new season. I don't even think its repairable at this point, it's so bad. Granted, Isles have the best PK in the playoffs, but still, 1:30 of 5v3, and 1 shot?

Not sure we can make this statement when nothing has actually been tried to fix it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Jordan Staal leads all players in hits (47). Tied with Martin from NYI though.

We have the worst PP from all remaining teams - 9.4. Ouch.
We have the second worst PK from all remaining teams - 76.7. Ouch.

Second worst PK is simply due to playing against the best PP in the league for 7 games.

Only thing that will save the PP at this point is changes. The PP units are so stale they have crumbled apart. The #1 unit is completely neutered without Aho being able to make plays with his feet. This unit has zero goals in 33 minutes of PP ice time. Hamilton (2G and 1A), Slavin (2A), Staal (1G + 1A), Foegele (1A), and Svechnikov (1A) are the only players on the team with PP points. Hamilton is essentially the only player on the team with the ability to make a play and score on the PP right now. 3 primary points on 3 PP goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad