Post-Game Talk: Preds @ Tampa Bay Suckers 10/10/23 4:30PM Thanks For The Draft Class Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It doesn't matter who the coach was last night ... hitting the ice not ready to play on the first shift of opening night is inexcusable, the Schenn-Josi pairing was a head scratcher, the extreme shortening of the bench to the point where Tomasino and Evangalista don't touch the ice for the final five minutes is interesting.
Agreed on the Josi/Schenn pairing but I'm not big on Schenn period.

The last 3:30 minutes were pretty much Forsberg's line, so there weren't many options between the 15:03 mark, when their line had their last true shift, and the end of the game.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
As much as Schenn struggled last, I thought it was pretty obvious when he was signed that he was going to play with Josi. He's a stay at home type who can allow Josi to do what he does best.

Novak is the real deal. He was making something happen every time he had the puck

The kids were nervous for sure but they settled in. Gotta stay out of the box

Trenin looks slow and incapable of doing anything on the defensive side of the puck. Not a good start for the 4th line in general

81 more games!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
As much as Schenn struggled last, I thought it was pretty obvious when he was signed that he was going to play with Josi. He's a stay at home type who can allow Josi to do what he does best.
My worry is I felt he was responsible for three GA last night. Didn't expect anything from him offensively, but I don't like that our stay-at-home guy wasn't clearing out the front. I'd much rather see Livingstone or Fabbro getting a shot right now, and we've got 2.99 years left.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
As far as grading any new coach with new system, I have to think the coaches were thinking about having the benefit of having real game tape to review. They can use it to point out each player's good and bad plays. they can get reps to see how well each player is doing in the new system. I like to take segments, like 5 game ones and see if the team is progressing or not.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
My worry is I felt he was responsible for three GA last night. Didn't expect anything from him offensively, but I don't like that our stay-at-home guy wasn't clearing out the front. I'd much rather see Livingstone or Fabbro getting a shot right now, and we've got 2.99 years left.
Oh I completely agree. I just think that this is the plan until it's proven that it doesn't work. Fabbro/Livingstone probably don't get regular ice time until Barrie is moved at the deadline

Reactions: Top 6 Spaling

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It is going to take weeks for this team to hit its stride. If this team hopes to be in the playoff hunt, theyre going to have to tread water until then. That game was winnable. Having 5 penalties against a team that is as good as Tampa on the power play is inadvisable. They scored on 2 out of 5. Not a good start to the PK. Our powerplay went 1 for 4 which isnt bad but looked lost from time to time.

Reactions: SouthNash

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Our powerplay went 1 for 4 which isnt bad but looked lost from time to time.
I missed most of the game, but the PP looked very static from what I saw. A lot of the preseason reports were that the PP was much more fluid and movement based than it was in the past, so maybe it's just "old habits die hard"?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I said this in the game thread too but while we came out flat we also had a tough opponent for a first matchup after a dramatic overhaul of the roster/system. Tampa's top guys have played in that system for a long time now so it's not surprising they can come out a lot better than we did. If bad first periods are a trend under Brunette moving forward then yeah that's worth worrying about, but I'll give him a break this time. It also helps that we turned it around and looked better for the remainder of the game.

I don't like the Josi/Schenn pairing or scratching Fabbro either. Josi is hard to play with though so I think giving it a few games to see if it meshes is ok. I expect we see a fair amount of rotation in the D group until something sticks, an injury happens, or a combo of both. Really though we have at 7 guys who are NHL caliber D (maybe more depending on how you feel about Stastney, Del Gaizo, Livingstone, etc.) so someone is going to have to be scratched. I think that signing Schenn and holding on to Barrie was the more questionable decision given where this team is but that's a Trotz thing not a Brunette thing.

In the end though I think the big issue when comparing the start of Brunette's tenure to the start of Hynes is expectations. With Hynes we were still clinging to trying to compete and despite a brief period of looking decent we never really got there. I think its pretty clear that Hynes wasn't the only problem, but I also think it's tough to argue he was a great coach being held back by a bad roster. We're entering a new era now where we are explicitly retooling/rebuilding and Trotz has been very upfront that it may take some time to get going again. From that perspective I'm willing to be more patient and accept some moral victories.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Novak is the real deal. He was making something happen every time he had the puck

The kids were nervous for sure but they settled in. Gotta stay out of the box

Trenin looks slow and incapable of doing anything on the defensive side of the puck. Not a good start for the 4th line in general

81 more games!
that's just it, by the end of the game Schenn wasn't playing with Josi, he was playing with Lauzon, because he struggled. He's not a big minute eating defenseman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I missed most of the game, but the PP looked very static from what I saw. A lot of the preseason reports were that the PP was much more fluid and movement based than it was in the past, so maybe it's just "old habits die hard"?
Well the first period powerplay was absolutely abysmal. I thought the other ones and when they were pressing at the end with the extra man on were reasonable though. Novak and the younger players seem to me to be the primary components of the fluid-style PP, however. When they have Josi and a forward moving around on the point, and some of the quicker young guys lower, that seems to be the most movement. O'Reilly/Barrie maybe aren't as much in that style. And then they did out of desperation end up just kind of flinging some pucks at the net or shooting into legs more than had happened in the pre-season, but I think that was born out of desperation rather than part of the normal plan. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
that's just it, by the end of the game Schenn wasn't playing with Josi, he was playing with Lauzon, because he struggled. He's not a big minute eating defenseman

He never has been so it isnt a shocking result. This is what i dont really like about the current dgroup makeup. Im not a big fan of Lauzon/Schenn or McD/Schenn as a pairing. I just dont see where he fits outside of next to Josi unless you bring up a Stastney/Del Gaizo.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Exactly. I don't think we'll be seeing Schenn taken out of the lineup entirely, or even separated from Josi permanently, but seeing them cycle him down lower as the game warranted was what I've been expecting all along, and I do hope that in conjunction with that we could still see Fabbro come back in to reprise his pairing with Josi also. :crossfing

Tampa is a tough team to defend, because they have that top group of players that is so dominant, but then they have heavier and grittier players on other lines that can be a physical challenge. Schenn was supposed to help with the latter (he couldn't seem to handle Nick Paul at all, however), but I don't know what any of our guys was going to do against the former.

Seattle is a skating team, I do feel like Fabbro's speed would be an asset against them in particular.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
He never has been so it isnt a shocking result. This is what i dont really like about the current dgroup makeup. Im not a big fan of Lauzon/Schenn or McD/Schenn as a pairing. I just dont see where he fits outside of next to Josi unless you bring up a Stastney/Del Gaizo.
Agreed, but we'll see how it unfolds. I'm not a Lauzon fan at all, I liked him at first but he's just out of position too much. he's just a thumper, he's not a shutdown guy, he's not an offensive guy, he's consistently out of position, the only reason he's in the line-up, IMHO is he's left handed.

I'd love to see a Stastney-Fabbro pairing.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Maybe we could just ask our captain to play a bit more responsibly and less like a fourth forward and then not have a pseudo-pylon playing too far up in the lineup?

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe we could just ask our captain to play a bit more responsibly and less like a fourth forward and then not have a pseudo-pylon playing too far up in the lineup?
I wouldn't do that. Josi's roving brings a lot to our team. It shouldn't be that much of an ask that his partner (or some forwards) occasionally need to cover for him.

We just need to recognize that some might be better at it than others. And it's not necessarily the case that weighing 225 lbs is the main criterion for doing so effectively.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I wouldn't do that. Josi's roving brings a lot to our team. It shouldn't be that much of an ask that his partner (or some forwards) occasionally need to cover for him.

We just need to recognize that some might be better at it than others. And it's not necessarily the case that weighing 225 lbs is the main criterion for doing so effectively.
Josi is going to put his partner into some bad situations and if those ends up in goals that's one thing, but the problem from what I saw last night is that Schenn was making mistakes even when Josi played things right (see the first goal).

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Agreed on the Josi/Schenn pairing but I'm not big on Schenn period.

The last 3:30 minutes were pretty much Forsberg's line, so there weren't many options between the 15:03 mark, when their line had their last true shift, and the end of the game.

When the additional forward is Sissons over the youngsters that are expected to contribute offensively it is an early message from Bruno. There was no second option offensively with Saros pulled and that is problematic. When Tampa iced it we had the opportunity to roll a group of fresh attackers out and keep the pressure on … that didn’t happen. Forsberg, ROR, Josi, and Barrie stayed out until gassed and then some while we rolled Glass and Nyquist in and out.

Now heading into game two we get to see if Fabbro enters or if he truly is the odd man out. Do we roll Smith, McCarron or Fagemo on the 4th line … does Sherwood get a game or ten in the press box …. almost like a continuation of preseason but with full paychecks for the players.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
When the additional forward is Sissons over the youngsters that are expected to contribute offensively it is an early message from Bruno. There was no second option offensively with Saros pulled and that is problematic. When Tampa iced it we had the opportunity to roll a group of fresh attackers out and keep the pressure on … that didn’t happen. Forsberg, ROR, Josi, and Barrie stayed out until gassed and then some while we rolled Glass and Nyquist in and out.

Now heading into game two we get to see if Fabbro enters or if he truly is the odd man out. Do we roll Smith, McCarron or Fagemo on the 4th line … does Sherwood get a game or ten in the press box …. almost like a continuation of preseason but with full paychecks for the players.
It's gonna be a rollercoaster, we knew that coming into the season, buckle up.

Let me add that it was a tough spot for a new coach with so many young players, on the road against a contender. So not having the last change, probably affected some of those late game decisions, especially with the young guys.

Last edited:

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
One game folks and everyone from GM, to Head Coach to several players are being evaluated already. It’s all new; management, coaching, players, lines, pairings. We all knew it might have some rough edges but remember; it’s been one game. Let’s all meet again after about 20 or so games and see where we are.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Honestly, if not for the penalty shot being made, we'd have been tied (but of course our lapse was the reason they got the chance). I thought it was pretty darn even just watching it, after the first period. Tampa is an elite team, with seasoned players. They SHOULD have won, but it was not a cake walk. A couple of things fall differently, personnel don't make critical errors, we could have won it. That's good enough for now. I think I'm going to like watching them, but I do need to see some improvement in those mental lapses.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It's gonna be a rollercoaster, we knew that coming into the season, buckle up.

Let me add that it was a tough spot for a new coach with so many young players, on the road against a contender. So not having the last change, probably affected some of those late game decisions, especially with the young guys.
Every season is a roller coaster with the Preds. The coaching change from an individual these boards disliked to Bruno is serving as an excuse for now. The players and staff have a very limited time before that honeymoon is over. Josi-Schenn pairings that perform like last night can't happen repeatedly ... coming out flat can't continue ... six penalties can't continue ... two shot periods can't continue ... all things that should have gotten worked out during preseason. Professionals come prepared when the job starts. The Preds didn't last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad