McKenzie: Preds shopping Subban to clear cap space for Josi extension / Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I could see Poile being interested in someone like Justin Faulk. A good top 4 who is cheap with one year left on his deal. Not sure we have the assets the Canes would want, but that's an example of the player I could see us targeting if we traded Subban.

If this were true, I could see the Devils offering up Vatanen.

Vatanen + Wood + #55 + another pick or prospect would be doable from the Devils perspective. Devils have a ton of forward prospects they could add on too.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Preds are willing to retain upwards of 3 million of Subban’s salary according to Pagnotta.

There's no way this can be true. Jake Gardiner is probably going to sign for 6 million this offseason. Preds should be able to get some value for Subban at full price, retaining 1 million would get good value, 2 million great value. I honestly couldn't tell you what Subban at 3 million retained would be because that's flat out crazy.

Just for fun let's say he's traded for Marner who signs for 10 or 11. If you're retaining 3 million on Subban for all intents and purposes you've just traded a 6 million dollar #1 RHD for a 13-14 million dollars against your cap in dead cap space and a, probably already overpaid, winger.

I'm calling BS on Pagnotta.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
In b4 Nashville did good and Montreal didn't so there

Subban played a big role in getting Nashville to the cup finals. I hate it when people "In b4" a totally valid argument that should obviously be posted, "in b4" doesn't invalidate it. As to your main point I agree, it was a pretty even trade but that has more to do with the underrating of Weber which has been a favourite hfboards past time of any player who hits 30. Speaking of hitting 30 it is perhaps by that same token that PK Subban's one down season is being used to say he isn't even a 1D anymore.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
There's no way this can be true. Jake Gardiner is probably going to sign for 6 million this offseason. Preds should be able to get some value for Subban at full price, retaining 1 million would get good value, 2 million great value. I honestly couldn't tell you what Subban at 3 million retained would be because that's flat out crazy.

Just for fun let's say he's traded for Marner who signs for 10 or 11. If you're retaining 3 million on Subban for all intents and purposes you've just traded a 6 million dollar #1 RHD for a 13-14 million dollars against your cap in dead cap space and a, probably already overpaid, winger.

I'm calling BS on Pagnotta.

It would only make sense if he's retained on and then dealt for say: Kadri ++ where the cap saving favour nashville.

Marner for Subban doesn't work for either team tbh

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
It would only make sense if he's retained on and then dealt for say: Kadri ++ where the cap saving favour nashville.

Marner for Subban doesn't work for either team tbh

Yeah I don't think Marner/Subban makes much sense for a multitude of reasons I just wanted to look at it from a cap perspective. As to your first point I could see such a move as long as we're talking 1 million retention not 3, I don't see how they could finagle anything with 3 million retention into cap savings. Especially dealing with the Leafs who have such little wiggle room that a Kadri/Subban deal would have to involve Zaistev(which at as little as 1 million retained the cap already breaks even both ways) and be followed by Nashville flipping Turris.

I don't see how Nashville retains that kind of money, that's a metric ****load of dead cap and they are trading one of the most valued commodities in the NHL in #1 RHD who is maybe a million overpaid(see: every free agent this year). It will be nearly impossible to save cap and take on 3 million in dead space.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Subban played a big role in getting Nashville to the cup finals. I hate it when people "In b4" a totally valid argument that should obviously be posted, "in b4" doesn't invalidate it." As to your main point I agree, it was a pretty even trade but that has more to do with the underrating of Weber which has been a favourite hfboards past time of any player who hits 30. Speaking of hitting 30 it is perhaps by that same token that PK Subban's one down season is being used to say he isn't even a 1D anymore.
My problem is with the dishonest arguments to swing the favor to one side or the other. Yes he played a focal role in their 2017 run but its not like Montreal didn't miss the playoffs with PK in a Habs jersey either.

Montreal missing the playoffs 2 of the past 3 seasons has little to do with trading away PK.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
My problem is with the dishonest arguments to swing the favor to one side or the other. Yes he played a focal role in their 2017 run but its not like Montreal didn't miss the playoffs with PK in a Habs jersey either.

Montreal missing the playoffs 2 of the past 3 seasons has little to do with trading away PK.

I agree there was a lot that went into it and Subban is hardly the main factor but I see where this argument comes from seeing as the Habs had missed the playoffs for the first time in 4 years(winning rounds in 2 of those years) when they traded Subban, who had won a Norris and been a terrific playoff performer. Habs were already on the down swing and Subban wouldn't have fixed the last couple of seasons, especially with Price's down period.

The problem with the trade remains that it was Bergevin's desperate attempt to "win now" with Price, Pacioretty and co. despite the fact that the group was obviously not good enough to do so. I still think it was a bad trade for Montreal for the reasons it was made, Weber is aging better than most thought and PK just had a down year and might be moved but as of today I still say the trade favours Nashville. Story's not over yet though.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that the world needs more Subban/Weber trades.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I agree there was a lot that went into it and Subban is hardly the main factor but I see where this argument comes from seeing as the Habs had missed the playoffs for the first time in 4 years(winning rounds in 2 of those years) when they traded Subban, who had won a Norris and been a terrific playoff performer. Habs were already on the down swing and Subban wouldn't have fixed the last couple of seasons, especially with Price's down period.

The problem with the trade remains that it was Bergevin's desperate attempt to "win now" with Price, Pacioretty and co. despite the fact that the group was obviously not good enough to do so. I still think it was a bad trade for Montreal for the reasons it was made, Weber is aging better than most thought and PK just had a down year and might be moved but as of today I still say the trade favours Nashville. Story's not over yet though.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that the world needs more Subban/Weber trades.
Nitpick, but Montreal had a terrible year and missed the playoffs the summer Subban was traded. Finished with 82 points that year, next year they finished with 103.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Nitpick, but Montreal had a terrible year and missed the playoffs the summer Subban was traded. Finished with 82 points that year, next year they finished with 103.

I did say they missed the playoffs but that is worth pointing out, I forgot there was such a large point swing, would never have remembered they got 103 in the first Weber year.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Habs got hosed for one simple reason. Weber doesnt move the needle more than Subban BUT is 4 years older.

With the Young guys the habs Will play in the next years they sure wish Weber was 4 years younger.

The contending window doesnt work. By the time that the Young guys Will be mature, Weber Will be 36+. And around we go.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Subban will likely be traded and the Preds could retain up to 3mil, making him a 6mil player.

Gardiner will get 6.5-7 mil on the open market.

Subban is twice the player Gardiner is.

The NHL is a hot mess.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Subban will likely be traded and the Preds could retain up to 3mil, making him a 6mil player.

The NHL is a hot mess.

Twice is quite the stretch but you aren’t entirely wrong.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval

The NHL is a hot mess.
No chance the Preds retain 3M... they would need one hell of a retiré To consider it. A Young star on an ELC offer. Cant ses any teams doing that

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Twice is quite the stretch but you aren’t entirely wrong.
Subban is better than Gardiner offensively and significantly better than him defensively.

Yes, Subban is twice the player Gardiner is.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
lol preds eating 3 million in salary of PK...who replaces his minutes? fabbro? yannick weber? Oh wait, they're going to pay jake gardiner 6 to 6.5 million to play pk's role...so instead of paying pk a much better dman and a recent norris candidate 9 million, they'll pay a significantly worse dman MORE money if you include pk's 3 million retainment. hahahaha. What peon came up with this idea?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
If this were true, I could see the Devils offering up Vatanen.

Vatanen + Wood + #55 + another pick or prospect would be doable from the Devils perspective. Devils have a ton of forward prospects they could add on too.
Congrats on getting a proven playoff performer for absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad