McKenzie: Preds shopping Subban to clear cap space for Josi extension / Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
My prediction:

Jake Virtanen and a protected 2020 1st round pick

Basically what Benning is rumored to have offered Sakic to Barrie. But I think Poile would be more inclined to bite given his need for capspace and also be very willing to gamble on that pick coming back to haunt Benning.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Subban / Letang swap
Preds looking to clear cap space...trade for a d-man with only a $1.75M less cap hit... o_O

I trust McKenzie but was saying on the Preds board that unless we're prepared to take an absolute bath on the return value, it's doubtful we'll manage to clear more than $3M-$4M in cap space trading Subban. That still only gives us ~$12M to re-sign Sissons/Grimaldi, sign Duchene, and then make space for Josi's increase (probably ~$4M-$5M). We'd have to trade another piece that wouldn't currently be considered a cap dump (e.g. couldn't trade Turris, would have to be someone like Smith) while returning almost no salary in that deal to really make it work. I don't see Poile being that drastic. The low cap number pretty much killed the Duchene idea, I think.

Over time I'm also becoming a lot less enamoured of the idea of paying Duchene $9-$10M per year. Once he reverts to non-contract year form, we're looking at two 60-65 point centers with a combined $17M-$18M per cap hit, though I guess that's become the going rate.

Reactions: NNCbama

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Kessel for Subban makes so much sense

Nash gets a top line forward and saves cap. Pitt needs to re-model the D and this lets us move one of Letang/Schultz

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
IaAePWo.png

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Man if only PC was actually hired in Van already it would be so freaking funny to see him trade for Turris

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
None of this has anything to do with Josi. He'll have ~$5M pay raise next year. But the team has more than enough upcoming expiring cap space to manage that when the time comes.

But the Preds do seem to want to make a play for a UFA this summer, and to do THAT they will need to shed salary now, because it seems likely they will only have around $3M available without a move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad