Recalled/Assigned: Preds Recall Marek Mazanec, Send Hellberg Back to Milwaukee

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
As announced by @KWilsonPreds this morning, Marek Mazanec has been recalled by the team to serve as Carter Hutton's backup and Magnus Hellberg has been returned to Milwaukee (AHL) to get playing time.

In five games this season in Milwaukee, Mazanec has a 5-0-0 record with a 1.97 GAA, and a .933 SV%.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I'm not surprised that we're rotating goalies through Milwaukee but I wasn't expecting Magnus to ride the bench for every game he was up. No starts given the rebound issues Hutton displayed is not what I saw coming.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm not surprised that we're rotating goalies through Milwaukee but I wasn't expecting Magnus to ride the bench for every game he was up. No starts given the rebound issues Hutton displayed is not what I saw coming.

Agreed. Since Hutton wasn't stellar for a few games, not sure why the Preds didn't give him a game.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I have a feeling Trotz wants to instill confidence in Hutton and pulling him for a start when there have been so many rest days doesn't do that. The simple fact is we do not have a goalie that will play to the level of Rinne and our D has to step up to help out more.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
When we play a back to back whatever goalie is up will get his shot. Until then you roll with Hutton for better or for worse.

Keep in mind that Hutton was brought in to be the backup. I understand that it's a different situation with Rinne out, but it still makes sense to plug in Hellsburg after a couple of rough outings by Hutton.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Even with the rebound issues, we are 3-1-1 with Hutton in goal, and he has a .914 save percentage.

Not too shabby, especially considering a few of the goals he has allowed during the past 3 games have not been his fault at all.

Definitely let in a few bad ones, but overall you can't have asked much more from him so far.......

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Even with the rebound issues, we are 3-1-1 with Hutton in goal, and he has a .914 save percentage.

Not too shabby, especially considering a few of the goals he has allowed during the past 3 games have not been his fault at all.

Definitely let in a few bad ones, but overall you can't have asked much more from him so far.......

2 of those games were against Winnipeg, who is very awful.

He's been good for 1-2 soft goals against per game.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Hutton at times shows the athletic ability. His positioning is average, his rebound control is below average and he seems to get rattled easily.

He's still a lump of clay that needs molding for sure.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Here's what I don't think he does as well as he should to be a full-time NHL goalie.

Stops unscreened shots from the top of the circles out.

Aggressively controls angles against the shooter

Controls most rebounds.

Maintains focus after bad goals.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
You mean the same "very awful" team that just beat Detroit?

He needs to get better no doubt but i won't complain about are record with him. A win is a win.

Exactly- Winnipeg is not an awful team on offense- and they lit up Howard with almost 50 shots on goal last night.... You can't dismiss those wins......

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this is a glaring example of how spoiled we are historically with goaltenders with how much some people are criticizing Hutton. Is he outstanding? No. Is he a veteran AHL goalie who would likely be getting lit up if not for being under Mitch Korn's wing? Very possible....

At the end of the day, Pekka's situation is really a nightmare one for any team who relies heavily on an elite goalie. We can't do much about it. There's no easy fix. We just have to put faith in Hutton and hope the staff can keep molding him into a pseudo-starter (no offense to him) and that his confidence doesn't shake. This could just be one of those bad breaks that some teams get that they can't recover from during any given season.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Under Hutton's tutelage we have 3 out of 4 pts on this road trip and has mildly exceeded expectations.

If he keeps us in it during this road trip and until Peks returns, then we can call the Hutton experience a success. Also, if he maintains a Save percentage of over 91, then we have a tradable asset in the offseason, as it looks like Mazanec or Hellberg will be ready to back up Peks

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I mean the "very awful" team that is 6-8-2 and has a -8 goal differential, currently last in the Central division.

But sure, Winnipeg is awesome, based on that one game.

Do you even understand what "very awful" means?

They have also beat the Blues and Kings. Lost 2 in OT or shootout, and
lost to the Ducks, Wild, Preds, Caps, Avs, and Blues by "1" goal.

Gosh, they are just trash! Uneducated people should rise up help them pack up, immediately quit the season, and move!!!

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
+1 on your post. Maybe Mazanec will get an NHL start.

As an AVS fan who watched the game last night, I was surprised that they (avs announce team) took the time to show Maz on the bench and talk about what a good goalie prospect he was and how he was the typical NSH goalie, big, quick yadda yadda.

I hope he gets a start, after they hyped him so I'd love to see him get an NHL game!

I always catch about 15 NSH games a year, but with Forsberg and Seth Jones I plan to watch a lot more.

Cheers HF'NSH fans on a good game last night. It was a fun one to watch

Sutter Brother

Feb 12, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hutton has been ok so far but with the lack of offence from the team its hard for any goalie to save the day game after game. He held his own when he first took over from Rinne; which is why Hellberg didn't get a start, but unfortunately he doesn't look like the Preds #1 goalie in the making. Although the sample size is still pretty small he has the ability to be a better than average back-up and at the very least this spell should teach him how to be more consistent. With Hellberg and Mazanec in the fold there is no need to go out and sign a veteran keeper. Most consider Nashvilles goalie prospect depth to be one of the strongest in the league. Mazanek should get the next start since Hutton has been lit up twice now and needs a break. He's undefeated in Milwaukee so far this season and 22 years old. Let's see what he can do.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
Originally Posted by Sutter Brother View Post
Hutton has been ok so far ...

With the exception of Eric Nystrom and Seth Jones, NOTHING about this season has been ok so far.

Sutter Brother

Feb 12, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hutton is 4-3-1 on a team that is 8-7-2 in the standings. Thats not bad (winning record), thats not very good either; so good is what I'll call it. Regardless of whether you think my definition of what "good" is or isn't right; I simply wanted to open a dialogue about the goalie prospects in the Preds system. I'm not here to defend Hutton but after the 0-5 loss to the NJD I think Trotz made the wrong decision to start him again. Not giving Hellberg a start while he was up was another mistake IMO. I see a lot of critiicism of Trotz here recently and mismanaging the goalies could be one of his flaws since he's always been spoiled by having an elite keeper in Rinne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad