Friedman: Preds might be choosing between trading Ellis and Ekholm; Philly potentially interested in Ellis

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
Our guys have all crapped the bed this season. Sometimes, the forwards make all the mistakes that just makes for a bad team. It is hard to not watch them without wanting to pull your hair it or throw something. Now, most people say 4-0, yeah, time to change the channel. As far as trading, I didn't realize Ellis had a big contract, I'll pass. Ekholm, eh. We don't have a veteran leader back there. So it makes us Flyers fans mad that if Chuck knew this and didn't bother to get a vet to help all these vets back there. Justin Braun is not that guy. Provy can't fix everyone's and his mistakes. The average age of our defense is 26 years old.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
They are still good. Myers is figuring some things out right now and not at his best. Provy and Sanheim have been good. York just won best Dman for his league. Zamula is coming too. The biggest issue to me is that you still need a #1 RHD bc Provy is a #2 LHD. That’s obviously a big issue.

Who on the Flyers would you trade for him?
Sanhiem?
Myers?

Who from our forward group would be moved?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What's Philly's expansion situation? Any chance that Patrick gets floated in an Ellis deal? I see more than 7 forwards worth protecting there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What's Philly's expansion situation? Any chance that Patrick gets floated in an Ellis deal? I see more than 7 forwards worth protecting there.
likely JVR or Voracek exposed given their cap hits

Giroux(NMC) Hayes(NMC) Couts Konecny Patrick Lindblom + 1 of JVR/Jake

Provy Sanheim Myers

Hart

Exposed JVR/Jake, Aube Kubel, Ghost, Braun, Hagg

So can't trade for Ellis until after ED if they were interested

TrivialCheese

Mar 22, 2021
likely JVR or Voracek exposed given their cap hits

Giroux(NMC) Hayes(NMC) Couts Konecny Patrick Lindblom + 1 of JVR/Jake

Provy Sanheim Myers

Hart

Exposed JVR/Jake, Aube Kubel, Ghost, Braun, Hagg

So can't trade for Ellis until after ED if they were interested
I think Nashville could definitely go 4 &4 in the ED, then turn around and trade Ellis. I would think Nashville would be interested in someone like Frost coming back, but I'm honestly not sure of Ellis's value at all. Just factoring in his skills, you'd think the value is similar to Ekholm, but contract and age are definitely the biggest factor here.

Reactions: Tripod

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Completely bogus narrative being pushed by Friedman as a favor to Poile. Poile completely f***ed up by giving the inferior undersized 30 year defenceman an 8 year deal instead of Ekholm.

There isn't a single team in the NHL who would take on Ellis @ 6,250,000 for another six years without a 1st rounder attached.

After the Weber trade, and Johansen + Duchene contracts Poile should be fired after this season. Bring in a new management + coaching duo to clean up this mess he created.

Reactions: cynicalcitizen

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I wouldn’t make any move. Develop the kids on D and see what happens. Hart comes along with it. Figure out the forwards and what’s needed for D later.

I'm on board with this.

I would like to think tho, if you can get a player of Ekholm (or even Ellis as he has been in talks) for a Sanheim, Myers, Ghost, etc:

I think I'd be comfortable making that move. It would bring some stability to the back end. I wouldn't be thrilled about it at first but I'd live with it.

Do you think either would out perform Ekholm or Ellis over their careers? Given the stats at the current age and NHL exp I'm not sure they would. Something else I'd have to consider. Older than our players, yes.... but I do like the idea of having some more experience there which would pair nicely with our fwd group.

It's been a very off year for a lot of our players. Tough call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad