Friedman: Preds might be choosing between trading Ellis and Ekholm; Philly potentially interested in Ellis

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Taken from the most recent 31 thoughts podcast:

News & Notes plus Anton Forsberg’s Amazing Odyssey | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

(Starting at 10:15)

Jeff: What is happening with Nashville? We've talked about them being the kingmaker come trade deadline time, Elliotte; what do you hear, what do you know about the Preds?

Elliotte: Well we're taping this on Sunday early evening, still to go on Sunday night, the Nashville Predators are playing in Dallas to end their road trip and after the road trip they go back home and I think at that point in time the brain trust of the Predators, GM David Poile on down, is going to sit down and figure out where they're going to go here. They've been collecting information, it's been known for a while now that they're a seller, and they're willing to listen on just about everything and they're going to go and see what they're going to do. I think they're going to make their decisions. And one thing is is that I think we've all looked at Ekholm as the guy - he's got one more year under contract at 3.75 million, he's a heck of a player, and we knew he was out there. Well, the interesting thing to me is I had someone say to me on Sunday that they're beginning to wonder if the Predators are going to be making an Ellis-Ekholm decision.

Jeff: What does that mean, like one or the other?

Elliotte: Could it come down to one or the other? Now, initially I think that Nashville kind of looked at Ellis as they didn't want to do it, and I'm still not convinced they want to do it. But when we reported that it was Josi no, Rinne no, and Ellis no, and everyone else they'd think about, I had a couple of people ask me "Are you sure they wouldn't do Ellis?" and it wasn't like they were saying anything bad about Ellis, it's just I think there are teams out there that really like Ellis. And the danger about Ekholm is that he's only signed for 1 more year. Now Ellis is signed for 6 more years at 6.25 million and like Ekholm he's got a lot of respect. Both those players are really respected players and I just wonder if some teams have gone to the Predators about Ellis and I also wonder that because he's signed to a longer term would people feel more comfortable dealing for him. And I can't see Nashville trading both those guys, I am just wondering if there's any chance they look at it and say well, what if instead of Ekholm it's Ellis and we try to keep Ekholm long term. I think clearly Nashville has some big decisions to make and I think it's possible that teams have leaned in on them and said we're not sure about giving all this up for only 1 more year of Ekholm; how do we feel about giving all this up for 6 more years of Ellis? I think it's possible that's whats going on.

Jeff: It wasn't exactly a secret that there were a lot of Nashville scouts around Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia Flyers, etc. They were interested in who we believed what Mattias Ekholm - should we then assume that if they're interested in Ekholm they would also be interested in Ellis? Or is that a left-right thing?

Elliotte: Ekholm can play right side, he's done it before, I know there's a lot of teams out there who aren't crazy about the whole "off-wing" thing but he's done it, at least you know he can do it.

(Elided discussion about playing off-wing)

Elliotte: Here's the thing about Philly, ok, and I've reported this now and I do believe it, look at what a disastrous couple of weeks it's been for them. I think they really just think that it's not the time - not for 1.5 years of Ekholm. But let's just say for argument's sake that it's 6 years of Ellis - I could see them doing it. I think Philly's sitting there right now saying woah woah woah, let's not make any ridiculous decisions, let's just go into the summer and kinda figure this out. And, like what you said, if you have to give up what you have to give up to make this deal, are you doing it for 1 year of Ekholm or are you doing it for 6 years of Ellis, for argument's sake? I think you're much more comfortable with the latter.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Preds should be looking to trade Ellis. He is 30 years old now. If they go into a full blown rebuild and it takes them 3-5 years to be a competitive team then Ellis will be an old man in hockey terms. Trade him while he is still in his prime and you can get maximum return on him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I could see the Canes being interested in Ryan Ellis. Don Waddell just said they are looking for RHD. His salary fits what they want to pay Dougie Hamilton. I'm sure the price would be high but the Canes have a nice pool to deal from (1st/2nd, Suzuki, Bokk, Gunler, Geekie, Fleury, Keane, etc.).

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Remember when the Flyers had all those great D prospects? What happened?

They were all playing extremely well and on an upwards trajectory until this season. Bad seasons happen, especially when you're coaching staff has completely fallen apart and your goaltending is also struggling. Each pillar has crumbled and effected the other.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I still feel like there is a huge element of "clickbait" in these musings by the pundits.

But whatever, for me, as a Preds fan, it's a no-brainer I'd rather trade Ellis than Ekholm. Ekholm is a much better player and also much better suited to our needs, since we have a lot of smaller PMD-style D coming up in the system, and Ekholm is relatively unique for us. I like our odds of being able to re-sign Ekholm at a bargain value again. Ellis is making fair money for what he does, but the term concerns me a bit.

End of the day, I'd trade Ellis A LOT more easily than I'd trade Ekholm. So if teams are interested in that, offers should be very welcomed.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I still feel like there is a huge element of "clickbait" in these musings by the pundits.

But whatever, for me, as a Preds fan, it's a no-brainer I'd rather trade Ellis than Ekholm. Ekholm is a much better player and also much better suited to our needs, since we have a lot of smaller PMD-style D coming up in the system, and Ekholm is relatively unique for us. I like our odds of being able to re-sign Ekholm at a bargain value again. Ellis is making fair money for what he does, but the term concerns me a bit.

End of the day, I'd trade Ellis A LOT more easily than I'd trade Ekholm. So if teams are interested in that, offers should be very welcomed.

I agree about the clickbait thing, especially for this rumor. Friedman says other people, not him, think the Preds might be deciding between Ellis and Ekholm, then extrapolates that out to say Philly might be interested in Ellis since they were interested in Ekholm at one point. But hopefully since I provided a full transcript people won't get the wrong idea.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
They were all playing extremely well and on an upwards trajectory until this season. Bad seasons happen, especially when you're coaching staff has completely fallen apart and your goaltending is also struggling. Each pillar has crumbled and effected the other.

I think the goaltending issues need to be looked at as a bigger part of the struggles than development/talent,

Their D look smart and good and fast when they are getting saves, like most D do.
Their D look dumb and bad when they are getting saves, like most D do.

When you think you are going to get the saves, most young D become less tentative and can join the rush more. This keeps the puck out of their own zone if they pinch welt and play aggressively in the neutral zone.

When you think your goalie will let in every mistake you make, most d stop pinching which means less offensive zone time, and are afraid of getting beat so they back off and more easily let people in the zone.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I agree about the clickbait thing, especially for this rumor. Friedman says other people, not him, think the Preds might be deciding between Ellis and Ekholm, then extrapolates that out to say Philly might be interested in Ellis since they were interested in Ekholm at one point. But hopefully since I provided a full transcript people won't get the wrong idea.
It also sounded like they assumed the list was Josi, Rinne and Ellis because of the NTC, and the fact that no one talked about Ellis. So, Poile never gave a list, they just assumed the 3.

Reactions: Armourboy

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I could see the Canes being interested in Ryan Ellis. Don Waddell just said they are looking for RHD. His salary fits what they want to pay Dougie Hamilton. I'm sure the price would be high but the Canes have a nice pool to deal from (1st/2nd, Suzuki, Bokk, Gunler, Geekie, Fleury, Keane, etc.).

If Carolina has a trade-and-sign partner ready, say Winnipeg, for Hamilton...MAYBE. I personally don't see it, though. To me, Hamilton is a leaning re-sign, and when Waddell says RHD, I think that he's talking more like a rental in the form of Hakanpaa or Vatanen. I've said this before, but I think that Hakanpaa would be an excellent stay-at-home fit with either Gardiner or Bean, and would likely command a small draft pick price, maybe McKeown + a 3rd. If Carolina trades with Nashville, Jarnkrok or Arvidsson attracts me, particularly Jarnkrok and his friendly $2M cap hit next year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Age, term, hit, cash. The only thing he really has going for him, in terms of value, is that he's a RHD.

You don't get a lot for 30+ year olds in a hard cap league. The best you can do is a guy a couple years younger with an equally large contract.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Ellis has 6 more years after this one at only a 6.25 cap hit. He should be very valuable.
Ekholm has one more year after this at a 3.75 cap hit. Also very valuable.

Preds could acquire a boatload of assets if they trade one or both.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Age, term, hit, cash. The only thing he really has going for him, in terms of value, is that he's a RHD.

You don't get a lot for 30+ year olds in a hard cap league. The best you can do is a guy a couple years younger with an equally large contract.

One thing in Ellis' favor, though, is that he is well worth his cap hit in terms of production relative to AAV. You might be surprised about how much he may command via trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
One thing in Ellis' favor, though, is that he is well worth his cap hit in terms of production relative to AAV. You might be surprised about how much he may command via trade.
Hey, if he can net us 2/3rds of what I've been wanting for Ekholm, I'd take it and run. Ellis is worth his cap hit... today. A few years from now... ehhh... who knows. :dunno:

But it's also a systematic issue, where we just have a ton of not-big younger D like Farrance, Carrier, Davies, and Fabbro lined up, and, on the ice anyway, Ellis is just a lot less valuable to us organizationally than Ekholm should be. That's on the ice... off the ice the Preds seem to place a high value on Ellis for leadership/intangibles, however. No idea if that is valid or not. :dunno:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Remember when the Flyers had all those great D prospects? What happened?
They are still good. Myers is figuring some things out right now and not at his best. Provy and Sanheim have been good. York just won best Dman for his league. Zamula is coming too. The biggest issue to me is that you still need a #1 RHD bc Provy is a #2 LHD. That’s obviously a big issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad