Post-Game Talk: Preds @ Jets

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Still amazed we came back. So proud of our boys. I was upset last night, but this morning, I am only a little sad. It took a lot of mental fortitude to win that game. Also, if we hadn't hit the post in OT and that shot had gone in, we would be feeling a lot differently right?

Yes, this team still needs some help. I have no doubt about that, but RyJo looks like a god. Fiala looked miles ahead of where he was last year and in the preseason. There are things to be excited about.

I'm sure there will be some changes made in the near future, but last night the team actually gave us a little hope, more than we have had the past five games.

Anyone still missing jones?

Things I regularly read on this board regarding the Nashville Predators: "there will be changes made", "almost", "only if", "needs help".

I sure as hell miss Jones. Is Joey a legit 1C? Sure looks like it. However, how many games has the team won since the trade? 0. How many goals have they given up in the 4 games since the trade? 17.

So go ahead, continue the rhetoric on Jones here. Joey is a quality forward, he is no doubt fun to watch, but trading him for Jones has not made this team significantly better overall.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
So go ahead, continue the rhetoric on Jones here. Joey is a quality forward, he is no doubt fun to watch, but trading him for Jones has not made this team significantly better overall.

I disagree. We were losing with Jones as well. We have big holes to fill, but a #1C, one of the biggest, is now filled. A top-pairing D was never a hole. Now, Poile needs to explore ways to fill the remaining holes which still remain big.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
How can anyone miss Jones?
I miss him from the standpoint that he was my favorite player and I have an affinity for watching defensemen play and develop over time so I miss it from that standpoint.

But from an actual hockey perspective and what's best for the team there's no question that right now Johansen gives us something that we sorely needed, even if it required us to trade Jones. End of story. I don't care how much someone did or didn't like him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Things I regularly read on this board regarding the Nashville Predators: "there will be changes made", "almost", "only if", "needs help".

I sure as hell miss Jones. Is Joey a legit 1C? Sure looks like it. However, how many games has the team won since the trade? 0. How many goals have they given up in the 4 games since the trade? 17.

Let's play a fun game. Jones' last four games we gave up 14 goals compared to RyJo and his 17. We scored a grand total of seven goals in Jones final four games as a Pred. In RyJo's four as a Pred we have scored nine, six of which RyJo has had a direct impact on. So Jones is a -7 and RyJo is a -8 in goal differential, virtually even.

I want to reiterate this, RyJo has had a point in SIX of the team's NINE goals and you are going to moan about losing Jones. Priorities man. Priorities.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why are you guys going on about Jones? Joey has looked great for you :laugh:

Good comeback by your guys, sucks you couldn't win it. That was vintage Joey last night. Glad he's performing well for you guys, and hopefully you'll start winning some games soon.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
The clump of idiots is on the coaching staff. They were playing a zone D in that 3 on 3. I would say it is to save their legs so they can rush down the ice when Rinne makes a save. Oh wait. Rinne would have trouble stopping a beachball right now so yeh...

Great to see the team rally however and on the road none the less. Fiala looked strong all night and Johanson is pretty amazing. So happy with that trade. I really think if they plan on sticking with the Forsberg/Ribeiro/Jarkrok line they need to move Ribs to the wing and let Jarkrok pick up the faceoffs and defensive responsabilities. Ribeiro is a serious liability in the D zone and lacks the speed to back check much at all. Jarnkrok could handle that far better.
Actually they were playing zone D because they were getting beat in every OT trying to play man on man. They switched to zone and won an OT, so I feel sure that's why they went back to it. The D wasn't the problem; Pekka getting beat by an unscreened weak shot was the problem.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Tough loss, but what a comeback. Johansen is everything advertised and more. Just on a complete tear as a Predator so far. Rinne really needs to snap out of it. But maybe he just is what he is at this stage.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
4 games since the trade. in those 4 games our third defensive pair has not given up a single goal. our second unit pp has been better. johansen has 6 points in 4 games. tell me again how much you miss jones? I damn sure don't.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
4 games since the trade. in those 4 games our third defensive pair has not given up a single goal. our second unit pp has been better. johansen has 6 points in 4 games. tell me again how much you miss jones? I damn sure don't.

Only thing that has sucked is we haven't gotten a win. That, however, isn't RyJo's fault.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

That is a good perspective. Our only true negatives are in net and our PK. This team is just going to continue taking stupid penalties in the offensive zone it seems. Is Lavi not the type to bag skate these guys or is he just going to let them be undisciplined? Either way it puts us in a horrible situation with our PK being so bad.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
On Johansen's goal... that right there is the difference between having an elite forward talent and not. 99% of all Predators players in our history would have screwed that chance up by either flubbing the backhand or panicking and shooting too early. I figured we'd miss that shot until I saw it was Johansen. Just amazing skill and patience there that I'm not used to seeing to yellow.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN

That is a good perspective. Our only true negatives are in net and our PK. This team is just going to continue taking stupid penalties in the offensive zone it seems. Is Lavi not the type to bag skate these guys or is he just going to let them be undisciplined? Either way it puts us in a horrible situation with our PK being so bad.

Neal in particular. I don't have a problem with him playing on the edge, but that interference last night behind the net was just stupid. Seems like he gets at least one completely idiotic penalty per game.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Neal in particular. I don't have a problem with him playing on the edge, but that interference last night behind the net was just stupid. Seems like he gets at least one completely idiotic penalty per game.

Pittsburgh fans told us this when we traded for him. He is near the top of the league in frustration penalties.

Hustle penalties are one thing, he had a good one last night on the Winnipeg chance late in the 3rd here he took down Armia (who got his own embellishment call), but he has a terrible rapport with refs (Tim Peel especially) as we have seen over and over with his own embellishment calls. (You're getting a f****** penalty!!).
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wow-ref-curses-out-nashvilles-james-neal-for-embellishment/

The frustration penalties have to stop. He had a bad one in the Chicago playoff series, might have been Game 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad