Preds fans: How good is Roman Josi?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Everyone knows Weber is a stud and Jones is next in line. But watching Josi play a little last year, I was really impressed. Has he slipped into Suter's role perfectly? Or was last year's production a product of him seeing more PP time because Jones and Ellis aren't fully ready yet?

Do you seem him as a steady top pairing defenseman capable of scoring 45-55 points or is the offense about to go away because of his future role? I'm trying to get a read on him.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Was better than Suter was at his stage of development. Easily the best Swiss player in the world right now, future elite D-man IMO.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
What do you mean will the offense dry up because of his future role? He is already playing on the top pair against the other team's top lines. He was 5th in the entire NHL in TOI per game.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What do you mean will the offense dry up because of his future role?

I know he is very good at even strength which is why I'm wondering if the Preds take away some of his PP time and give it to Ellis or Jones instead to limit Josi's minutes. Or is he just THAT good on the man advantage?

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
No, he's great on the power play too, plus Ellis and Jones are both righties. He should be Weber's partner on the power play as well all season long

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
So are Preds fans, he was terrific last year. With his ability to carry the puck and his great skating, we may even see a boost in his offensive numbers with Laviolette.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I can see 50+ points from him this season. Last year he got 40 in 72 games and had an aweful start to the season. Full health and more offensively-minded system could surely see his production go up.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
So many outsiders see that he plays with Weber, or has played a little with Jones and think that explains his numbers. They actually benefit from playing with him just as much. He's every bit the defenseman Suter was, actually better at this age. He doesn't make the big hit, he's not going to be the guy that jumps in to avenge a teammate, but he is smart. And he is damned talented in his own right... And he makes Weber even better. That makes him worth every penny of his and probably 2 more guys' contracts.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I don't know where to find the exact quote, but our ex-AHL coach - who coached Suter, Weber, Klein, Hamhuis, and Josi - said Josi is the most talented defensemen he has over coached. So there's that.

He is my favorite NHL player, and he is so good, but he's the kind of good you don't really notice that often. IMO he is a top 30 D in the league at this point, made better by his contract.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
If Weber stops throwing Josi those suicide passes that he so often does in the defensive zone, leaving RJ to be potentially crushed by the opposing team's forechecking forwards, he'll be just fine, and actually even better than the already terrific he was despite the vulnerable state he was put in by his Norris Trophy candidate partner.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the biggest compliment you can give him is that the guy makes everyone he plays with better. Even the mighty Weber saw a jump in his game with him back. I wouldn't trade him for hardly anything right now I think he's that valuable.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
He is a different type of player than Suter is/was. Josi is going to be an elite puck moving d-man in this league and doesn't need to improve much to get to that level. To me he is one of the true untouchables on this team right now. The only question in my mind is the big C word. If he can avoid getting any more of those the sky is the limit.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I don't know where to find the exact quote, but our ex-AHL coach - who coached Suter, Weber, Klein, Hamhuis, and Josi - said Josi is the most talented defensemen he has over coached. So there's that.

He is my favorite NHL player, and he is so good, but he's the kind of good you don't really notice that often. IMO he is a top 30 D in the league at this point, made better by his contract.

It was Lambert.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So many outsiders see that he plays with Weber, or has played a little with Jones and think that explains his numbers. They actually benefit from playing with him just as much. He's every bit the defenseman Suter was, actually better at this age. He doesn't make the big hit, he's not going to be the guy that jumps in to avenge a teammate, but he is smart. And he is damned talented in his own right... And he makes Weber even better. That makes him worth every penny of his and probably 2 more guys' contracts.

This sounds an awful lot like what some people like to rip on Jones for.

But anyway, yeah Josi is really, really good and if he can stay healthy I think he'll be an elite defenseman in the league. My only concern is his history of concussions.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Was better than Suter was at his stage of development. Easily the best Swiss player in the world right now, future elite D-man IMO.

This is exactly what I came to post.

Back when Suter was 20-21 he was benched for the play offs. I guess it can be argued that the team then was stacked, but when Josi played in the post season during his rookie year it was also on a team which was top ten in every important basic team stat.

Josi may not ever be the same defensive rock that Suter is, but he has higher offensive ability. I'd say he's a better skater. He has similar vision. Positionally he is very good. He complements Weber in some ways better than Suter did.

The answer, in short, is "very good."

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Man, there's some very high praise for Josi in this thread. You guys really think he breaks 50 points in a season?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Man, there's some very high praise for Josi in this thread. You guys really think he breaks 50 points in a season?

He was at 40 pts last yr. Yes, he can. Note, looking at the career records of the defensemen of the Stanley Cup winning Hurricanes, all of the defensemen showed an increased point production.

If anything I got josi at 45 pts and Weber at 60.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
He was at 40 pts last yr. Yes, he can. Note, looking at the career records of the defensemen of the Stanley Cup winning Hurricanes, all of the defensemen showed an increased point production.

If anything I got josi at 45 pts and Weber at 60.

In 72 games. 45 prorated over 82. I think he can get 50 this year if he stays healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad