Confirmed with Link: Preds acquire Jeremy Lauzon from Seattle for 2022 2nd round pick

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Thought this deserved it's own thread.

He apparently comes with term(well, he will be RFA)

I'm guessing this is the kind of player Poile was hoping Myers would be.

With Boro and Benning questionable, you gotta like this move.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Price is quite steep, but he’s an RFA.

This does not bode well for Borowiecki, damn it..
Well, it just means Poile wants someone other than a couple of rookies/AHL callups since both of our veteran 3rd pair guys are down. If he trades for another defenseman, then that would bode very poorly for Boro/Benning

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I like the player, and while I would have liked to get him for a 3rd round pick, I think it just shows we probably weren't the only team in the league thinking that. So we had to step up a round to win the "bidding war".

I think he checks a lot of boxes for us. He can be counted on to play a conservative defense-first game and not get any thoughts into his head about getting too fancy. He's very physical. 1st in hits on the Kraken (ahead of guys like Larsson and Oleksiak) and 19th in the entire league in hits. His 176 hits is indicative of his style of play. He also has some versatility iirc to play both left and right sides. Or at least has done so in the past? He's had a regular PK role this season.

And on top of all that, he can be looked at as a long-term asset for us. He's not just a rental. He's about to turn 25, and we should be able to lock him up fairly affordably for several seasons.

I think he fits our team identity and needs very well.

In that context, that's why we shouldn't mind too much that we paid an extra 32 spots in the draft order. Tomorrow we can list out all the 3rd pair D who were traded... whoever else moves in addition to the ones like Dermott, Hagg, Stecher, Hamonic who have already moved. And I feel like at the end of the day we won't be too disappointed.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
sI like the player, and while I would have liked to get him for a 3rd round pick, I think it just shows we probably weren't the only team in the league thinking that. So we had to step up a round to win the "bidding war".

I think he checks a lot of boxes for us. He can be counted on to play a conservative defense-first game and not get any thoughts into his head about getting too fancy. He's very physical. 1st in hits on the Kraken (ahead of guys like Larsson and Oleksiak) and 19th in the entire league in hits. His 176 hits is indicative of his style of play. He also has some versatility iirc to play both left and right sides. Or at least has done so in the past? He's had a regular PK role this season.

And on top of all that, he can be looked at as a long-term asset for us. He's not just a rental. He's about to turn 25, and we should be able to lock him up fairly affordably for several seasons.

I think he fits our team identity and needs very well.

In that context, that's why we shouldn't mind too much that we paid an extra 32 spots in the draft order. Tomorrow we can list out all the 3rd pair D who were traded... whoever else moves in addition to the ones like Dermott, Hagg, Stecher, Hamonic who have already moved. And I feel like at the end of the day we won't be too disappointed.

You are on point. You need these type of guys in the playoffs, and when the games get tight.

We have two 3rd's next summer, and if his original asking price was a 3rd, then I'm not too upset. It's a bit of an overpayment but people are acting like we paid 1st ++ for a UFA Ben Chiarot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I like the fit of adding a cost controlled hitting 7th dman. He can PK and keep Harpur away and hopefully never to be seen again. I view him about like Anthony Bitetto. Physical, penalty kill, decent skater, decent puck mover, drop the gloves, big hitter, but he's got limitations which is to be expected for a bottom pairing/7th dman.

I guess Poile didn't want a rental.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean he's a RFA so that's going to bump the price up a bit to start with. Tend to agree that its a bit of an overpayment but not a crazy one and from what yall are saying he sounds like a guy that will fit right in on what Hynes likes to do.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Big physical stay at home dman. Only 24 so we still have a couple years of control. I think he’d pair well with a guy like Davies or benning this season and Myers next season if Myers can get his act together.

2nd is steep but not outrageous. Prices are high right now

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Lauzon as a prospect was very highly regarded in Boston. On NHL ice he isn't lived up to the expectations. We'll see if this pans out or not, at least it's not a key position if he sucks.

Wouldn't be the first time for this organization to find a defensive diamond in the rough and turn it into something valuable. Lauzon's only 24, he's just approaching his prime.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Not a steal but not a bad deal for at the deadline. Addresses the most glaring personnel need.

Seeing Bradford on Twitter complaining that there is no guarantee that a RFA will sign as why he doesn't like giving up a 2nd rounder... with no guarantee they'll sign or ever play a single game is why I shake my head at Twitter. I do laugh at some of the people there quite frequently.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I feel like analytics folks are always surprised that teams overpay at the deadline.

That's because they try and take them from one situation to another to try and make it mean something. The problem with that is it leaves out all of the circumstances in which those numbers were created and why the new team wants them

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Our 2nd round pick will be mid round, around the 50th pick of the draft. Picks in that range average 180-200 NHL games played. Lauzon already has 129 NHL games, and as he's been a full-time NHL player for the past two seasons now, it's very likely that the Preds can get 180 games out of him (2.25 seasons). If we do that, we got value out of the 50th pick and would put Lauzon around 300 games in his career which is what you can expect an average 25th overall pick to play.

https://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf If you're interesting in the data.

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Not a steal but not a bad deal for at the deadline. Addresses the most glaring personnel need.

Seeing Bradford on Twitter complaining that there is no guarantee that a RFA will sign as why he doesn't like giving up a 2nd rounder... with no guarantee they'll sign or ever play a single game is why I shake my head at Twitter. I do laugh at some of the people there quite frequently.
And that fool is on the radio spewing his idiotic takes too. Not only does he have his one hour of nonsense per week but because he has a radio show on 102.5 Darren also has him on the pre-game show and listens to every word like they are informed intelligent hockey knowledge. It's maddening the depth of stupid the sports media in this town just keep churning though for hockey.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't know why I went to twitter to look at this but I just love how people come to such strongly held opinions on players they can't have paid that much attention to before. Like how many people have actually watched enough of Lauzon to really have a strong opinion on him? At least wait and see how he looks in his first few Preds games to decide if you hate the trade or not.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Analytics crowd hates him, but even in that lens he does a few things well that I like. He defends the blueline and he PKs. If we give him what will likely be his softest role yet, then maybe we see improvement in other areas of his game. He had tough minutes in Seattle and was actually paired with McAvoy in Boston taking Chara's role.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't know why I went to twitter to look at this but I just love how people come to such strongly held opinions on players they can't have paid that much attention to before. Like how many people have actually watched enough of Lauzon to really have a strong opinion on him? At least wait and see how he looks in his first few Preds games to decide if you hate the trade or not.
There are literally "fire Poile" comments on reddit for this deal. :huh:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Analytics crowd hates him, but even in that lens he does a few things well that I like. He defends the blueline and he PKs. If we give him what will likely be his softest role yet, then maybe we see improvement in other areas of his game. He had tough minutes in Seattle and was actually paired with McAvoy in Boston taking Chara's role.

Yeah the only thing I can really gather from the tweet I shared is that he's apparently an offensive black hole and isn't even really that good at being a defender.

Of course I'm not smart enough to know what all drives that stuff. For example, is he not great because he plays for Seattle? Would his scores be better if he played for the Preds? I know it's all based on an average but if you're on a below average team then how is that weighted?

Anyway, we'll have a chance to see for ourselves soon enough.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yeah the only thing I can really gather from the tweet I shared is that he's apparently an offensive black hole and isn't even really that good at being a defender.

Of course I'm not smart enough to know what all drives that stuff. For example, is he not great because he plays for Seattle? Would his scores be better if he played for the Preds? I know it's all based on an average but if you're on a below average team then how is that weighted?

Anyway, we'll have a chance to see for ourselves soon enough.

There's 4 or 5 different variations of these charts that float around on twitter that pop up after trades. I don't mind looking at them, but it's ignorant to use them as the only source of rating a player that I have seen play a handful of times and never through the lens of "our team".

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
And that fool is on the radio spewing his idiotic takes too. Not only does he have his one hour of nonsense per week but because he has a radio show on 102.5 Darren also has him on the pre-game show and listens to every word like they are informed intelligent hockey knowledge. It's maddening the depth of stupid the sports media in this town just keep churning though for hockey.

Luckily 102.5's range doesn't reach the beach and I can easily choose not to stream them.

Gover tweeted a list of prospects he wouldn't mind seeing come back in a Forsberg trade ... still no reply to how the teams would make a little thing like salary cap work ... top level issues that go unaddressed in the simplistic ranting around Predators hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad