Predictions For Your Team's Division

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Now that rosters have pretty well shaken out and the season is about to begin, what are your bold or un-bold predictions for the teams in your favorite team's division?

State where you think they will finish in the division and why.

Central Division
(1) Chicago Blackhawks - Finish first in the division because they are a much more rounded team this year than the last few years and have a deeper and more experienced defense that should hold up better than last year.

(2) St. Louis Blues - Finish second in the division. They lost some leadership and "leadership" but still have a deep team up front and good structure to ensure a good record. Biggest question mark is in net but I think Allen plays to his potential consistently this year.

(3) Colorado Avalanche - Finish third in the division. The new system that coach Jared Bednar is instilling will give the Avalanche new life and catch some teams by surprise. Players are held much more individually accountable and the new team defensive structure will shore up their biggest weakness in the past. The new energy and steps forward for the core and some younger players will make this is tough team to beat this year.

(4) Dallas Stars - Finish fourth in the division and first wild card. Dallas will have a tougher time this season than last. Some injuries and lingering effect from those injuries will cause them to have a slower start and they will regress a bit in the goal scoring department. I think they are still a playoff caliber team but will have a tougher time finding wins this season.

(5) Nashville Predators - Finish fifth in the division and second wild card. Rinne will be inconsistent and their depth scoring will diminish this year. Their blue line will be better suited to playing the style the Predators have been trending towards but they will also give up more chances the other way. Again, this is still a playoff caliber team but they will be fighting with the Stars and Pacific teams for this spot.

(6) Winnipeg Jets - Finish sixth in the division. The Jets will become a more consistent team and see better goaltending in large parts this season but not frequently enough to make the playoffs. This year is about getting Hellebuyck, Connor and Laine NHL experience and refining their games. Paul Maurice's job could be in question but probably proves that he is pointing the team in the right direction.

(7) Minnesota Wild - Finish seventh and last in the division. The Wild find that they win big and lose big frequently this season. The team will have consistency issues all season and Dubnyk will falter as the team in front of him does. I think they will have a couple good stretches that keeps playoff hopes alive for a while but ultimately fail to make the postseason because of the bad stretches that follow.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Metro Division

1 - Capitals
2 - Penguins
3 - Flyers
4 - Rangers
5 - Islanders
6 - Hurricanes
7 - Blue Jackets
8 - Devils

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
1. San Jose - Were really good last year. I think the team has a nice balance. Good forwards. Good Defense. Decent Goaltending.
2. Anaheim - Balanced team. Have a pretty solid roster. Similar to San Jose but I think San Jose roster is better. I dont like their coaching though, I could see the players tuning him out. I dont think they are a lock for second by any stretch.
3. Los Angeles - I just dont think they have the depth they once did. They are typically not good in regular season. Have strong players in Kopital and Doughty but I think they're depth is an issue. Still play a great system.
4. Edmonton - Think they are on the upward trend. McDavid is amazing. They have a good forward group on paper but offense hasnt clicked, I think mainly because defense cant get them the puck. Defense has improved this year. A lot of injuries last year so think team was better than it looked in standings. Hard to predict I think though.
5. Calgary - Good defense core. Hopefully Elliotte will stabilize the goaltending. Forward group is a bit weak but they have some nice pieces to build on.
6. Arizona - I just dont think they have enough depth. In past they have played the system really well. Really depends on their young players but think the team will be below average this year but will be pretty good in a few years.
7. Vancouver - Great first line but outside of that, I think their depth is pretty lacking. Not really sure what to say about them, just think they are one of the weaker teams in the league.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
1. Nashville - becomes a serious powerhouse in the toughest division
2. Chicago - 3 time champions expect more from themselves than last year's first round exit
3. Dallas - scores very much but this time gets scored against more than the last season so loses the crown to nsh
4. Colorado - the young core finally stands on their feet and plays up to their potential
5. Minnesota - boudreau slows down their regression and they'll have a decent year in the central division
6. St. Louis - the whole league's biggest shock of the year, blues have a very bad year for a team their caliber
7. Winnipeg - one top 5 draft pick more and they're set for the future big time!

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
1. Tampa
2. Florida
3. Ottawa
4. Buffalo
5. Boston
6. Detroit
7. Toronto
8. Montreal

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Please explain to me how a team with Price finishes dead last in their division :shakehead lol

My expectations are low my heart says wild card then stomped in the first round my brain says are you kidding this team is just not good enough!

Well most likely going 2-8 maybe 3-7 in there first 10 games of the season I guess some changes could be made after that start but not likely in the foxhole.

Carey Price is great but he can't do everything.

If changes made probably put them above Toronto for sure and most likely Detroit.

Also I do think Florida could place first but with those 2 injuries it will hurt them off the gate so thats why I was going conservative taking TB 1st place.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
My expectations are low my heart says wild card then stomped in the first round my brain says are you kidding this team is just not good enough!

Well most likely going 2-8 maybe 3-7 in there first 10 games of the season I guess some changes could be made after that start but not likely in the foxhole.

Carey Price is great but he can't do everything.

If changes made probably put them above Toronto for sure and most likely Detroit.

Also I do think Florida could place first but with those 2 injuries it will hurt them off the gate so thats why I was going conservative taking TB 1st place.

I respect your opinion.
you're wrong, but I respect it.

look at the 14-15 season...Price did do it all. We now have a better team than then.
as for toronto theyre still going to be bottom 10 in the league if not worse. absolutely no D and Andersen right now hasnt impressed (albeit hasnt played many games). the injuries to Florida will be substantial and may turn them into a WC team. as for TB i think they take the division, with boston/detroit near bottom.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
1. Nashville Predators
Bar none the best defense in the league, which is nice when Pekka Rinne is still your goaltender. Forsberg now ranks among the league's stars, and the forward corps will benefit from a full year of Johansen.

2. Dallas Stars
The kings of offense should reign supreme again, adding Jiri Hudler (and potentially more GP from Seguin) to an already stacked group. Hamhuis should stop the bleeding a little bit on defense, though it's still only a fair group there. I'd put the Stars atop the Central if only I could get past that AHL caliber goaltending.

3. Chicago Blackhawks
The Hawks have more denfeseman than they can figure out what to do with, but age is emerging as a factor among its leaders. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Hawks enter the year with four rookies in its forward ranks, and there will be inevitable growing pains there. Crawford will continue his push to be considered among the league's goaltending elite.

4. St. Louis Blues
These aren't the Blues of the past few years, but it is still too early to write them off. Led by their top 3, they have one of the strongest Ds in the league. Tarasenko will continue to terrorize the league and by the end of the year, ranking him above Kane may not be quite so humorous. Goaltending is a bit of a wildcard, but Allen has shown the ability to perform in his relatively small samples.

5. Minnesota Wild
Boudreau has an excellent track record as a regular season coach, but he has always been surrounded with elite talent. The Wild have impressive depth, but are lacking the kind of go-to finishers he may be used to. They could suprise a bit if Staal can channel his old self, as he is still only 31. I expect a finish similar to last year.

6. Winnipeg Jets
The Jets' recent banishment of Pavelec gives me renewed hope for their chances, as Hellebuyck was clearly their best option. Hopefully they're wise enough to apply the same lesson to Mark Stuart. They feature a pair of Calder hopefuls in Laine and Connor, but are forced to rely on them for production. They will also miss the reliable top-6 play of Ladd.

7. Colorado Avalanche
The Central will probably again be the league's best division, and someone has to come in 7th. Varlamov will likely again be at the mercy of an endless assault from opposing teams through the the Avs mediocre defense. The team is lacking in depth among its forwards, again counting on production from 39-year-old Iginla, but there is one saving grace--Patrick Roy is no longer the coach of this team.

Last edited:

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Atlantic Division

1.Tampa Bay Lightning
2.Florida Panthers
3.Buffalo Sabres
4.Ottawa Senators
5.Montreal Canadiens
6.Detroit Redwings
7.Boston Bruins
8.Toronto Maple Leafs

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Rangers
4. Flyers
5. Hurricanes
6. Islanders
7. Devils
8. Jackets

I think there a clear gap between the top 4 and bottom 4 in the metro.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Tampa Bay - Strength and depth throughout the lineup.
Florida - Continue to build on the young core, already hurting though.
Montreal - Price and Weber lead them back to the playoffs.
Buffalo - Sabres take a big step forward this season mostly due to having gained experience and confidence.
Detroit - One last hurrah? probably a close but no cigar season instead.
Boston - Really hard to predict, if the D can hold it's own they'll finish higher.
Ottawa - I don't see enough depth to get excited, some nice pieces though.
Toronto - A development year, last season was evaluation and demolition. This season will see a serious injection of youth all season long. It will make for some exciting hockey but with so many young forwads and a young, not terribly deep group of defensemen, it looks to be a tough year ahead.
All part of the long process. :)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Pacific

:kings

:sharks

:edmonton

:flames

:ducks2

:coyotes

:nucks

Sadly, I don't have a good feeling about the Ducks this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Coyotes surpassing us as well...

My guess is only three teams makes the playoffs out of the Pacific Division, and I'm predicting either Edmonton or Calgary grabs the 3rd spot.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
1. Tampa Bay Lightning
2. Montreal Canadiens
3. Florida Panthers
4. Buffalo Sabres
5. Boston Bruins
6. Ottawa Senators
7. Toronto Maple Leafs
8. Detroit Red Wings

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Pacific

:kings

:sharks

Sadly, I don't have a good feeling about the Ducks this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Coyotes surpassing us as well...

My guess is only three teams makes the playoffs out of the Pacific Division, and I'm predicting either Edmonton or Calgary grabs the 3rd spot.

As nice as this list looks...there's no way in hell the kings end up first. And if they do, they will choke it away with 5-10 games left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad