Prediction poll: How much AAV & how many years will Gallagher sign for? Select your choice for each.

Prediction poll: How much AAV and how many years will Gallagher sign for? Select your choice 4 each.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Now that Petry has signed for 6.25 for 4 years, it seems UFA's that management want to keep and that want to stay here will sign - if they can agree on the contract terms.

Gallagher should be next as both parties want to continue and they should be able to come to terms. Danault may be more complicated when it comes to the terms. Tatar wants to see his worth on the open market.

So how much do you think Gallagher will take up on the cap?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
3 years max at 5m.
Above that will be a mistake unless he signes for 5 years at 4.5m

Same for Tatar

I think it will be in the 5, 5.5, or 6 range.

Management will push for a short term - 4 years or less because of his style of play. But he's only 28 and will have a ton of suiters if he goes to the open market. That gives him leverage in negotiations.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Now that Petry has signed for 6.25 for 4 years, it seems UFA's that management want to keep and that want to stay here will sign - if they can agree on the contract terms.

Gallagher should be next as both parties want to continue and they should be able to come to terms. Danault may be more complicated when it comes to the terms. Tatar wants to see his worth on the open market.

So how much do you think Gallagher will take up on the cap?

Would be hard to imagine him taking anything less than what Petry signed for... and frankly it would be kind of insulting for the organization to offer less. that said, not sure i'd want to offer anything more either term or cap wise.

Either they match that, or agree to part ways is my bet/hope.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Would be hard to imagine him taking anything less than what Petry signed for... and frankly it would be kind of insulting for the organization to offer less. that said, not sure i'd want to offer anything more either term or cap wise.

Either they match that, or agree to part ways is my bet/hope.

Who contributes more Petry or Gallagher?

Reactions: dralaf

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
5 yrs, 25mil i think is fair. The gionta contract

Gionta was signed years ago. In today's money (% of cap hit) Gionta is probably equivalent to 6-7 millions a year. Why would Gallagher signs for less than Drouin? Drouin will be the measuring stick of Gallagher, Domi and Tatar and none of them have any reason to sign for less.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gionta was signed years ago. In today's money (% of cap hit) Gionta is probably equivalent to 6-7 millions a year. Why would Gallagher signs for less than Drouin? Drouin will be the measuring stick of Gallagher, Domi and Tatar and none of them have any reason to sign for less.

Drouin was clearly overpaid for what he brings. No dman like Kulak is saying: I'm better than Alzner, therefore I demand to be paid more than him.

The main comparables will be contracts around the league. But yes, Drouin's contract still does exert a certain amount of influence. And I think Gallagher gets more than him.

Danault's comparable should be Lars Eller's contract. And he should get slightly more than Eller. But not tons more.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Drouin was clearly overpaid for what he brings. No dman like Kulak is saying: I'm better than Alzner, therefore I demand to be paid more than him.

The main comparables will be contracts around the league. But yes, Drouin's contract still does exert a certain amount of influence. And I think Gallagher gets more than him.

Danault's comparable should be Lars Eller's contract. And he should get slightly more than Eller. But not tons more.

The difference between Drouin and Alzner is Alzner contract was stupid and he's not even a NHL player anymore and is not playing for us. So obviously nobody will use him as a comparable. Drouin on the other hand is a top 6 player for us and is paid top 6 money and is someone they have to play with every day while for the most part doing a better job than him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I guess if we keep all the same players, give them all raises, it will make us a cap team, that keeps finishing out of the playoffs?
I love Gallagher, but at some point the team and the core needs to be changed.
It may not be popular, but I would trade this guy, right now............his value is high, and I really don't think he is a guy that deserves a penny more than 5M, and is going to break down, real soon. The way the kid has played, he is heading for some serious injuries. He is a heart and soul guy, who we have won nothing with.........again I know this is not popular, but I would deal him.

Reactions: mols47

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The difference between Drouin and Alzner is Alzner contract was stupid and he's not even a NHL player anymore and is not playing for us. So obviously nobody will use him as a comparable. Drouin on the other hand is a top 6 player for us and is paid top 6 money and is someone they have to play with every day while for the most part doing a better job than him.

Yes I agree the Alzner contract is an extreme case. But no one would trade a significant asset for Drouin. As of now, as of what he's accomplished, it's a bad contract. Bergevin can admit that in negotiations and point to other contracts around the league as comparables - which is what agents and GM's do during negotiations. And, they say, numbers (stats) are used to establish comparables.

Having said that, I would guess players that have scored at a 30 goal, 50+ point pace 3 years in a row and are heart and soul players get paid a pretty penny as UFA's at 29 years old. It will be hard to argue that Gallagher may break down like Clarkson, Ryan Clowe, Ryan Callahan, and Darcy Tucker. But MB should appeal to his loyalty to the organization and say look if you break down and can't live up to your contract, it will be a huge burden on our ability to improve the team and win the cup. Let's not go too long on term... Not sure it will work... But Gally is a team first guy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Very true, if all these guys (Petry, Gallagher, Tatar, and Danault) want 6+ million - what the heck is up with that? They haven't won squat!
Exactly...................which is why MB has to be fired, and yet.................so this clown GM doubles down on everyone who helped us get to the 24th placed team, with one of the best goalies on the planet. My god...............just shoot me now.
If people cannot see how badly we need a new voice and a new direction...I just don't know what to say...

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Very true, if all these guys (Petry, Gallagher, Tatar, and Danault) want 6+ million - what the heck is up with that? They haven't won squat!
We don't actually know what any of them want, except Petry now that he's signed.

And here's an interesting Reddit thread from 6 years ago. Back then only 16% of current NHL players had won a cup:

So is it only the 16% that have won that should expect to get paid 6+ million?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad