Speculation: Prediction 3 Leafs with 85 pts

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I thought for sure someone would challenge this absurd claim. I guess we are all in accordance then. Ha!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Possible, but highly unlikely. Last year only 15 players hit 85 points league wide, and there was just one team with 3 such players (Pens with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel). In the last 2 years combined, not a single Leaf has hit 70 points, nevermind 85. In fact, the last Leaf to hit 85+ points was Sundin in 96/97, over 20 years ago.

I do think JT, Matthews and Marner each have a CHANCE to do this, but all 3 doing it is very unlikely. They’d all need to be totally healthy, having terrific seasons, AND they’d probably all have to be on the 1st PP. I’d give it maybe a 5% chance.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Possible, but highly unlikely. Last year only 15 players hit 85 points league wide, and there was just one team with 3 such players (Pens with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel). In the last 2 years combined, not a single Leaf has hit 70 points, nevermind 85. In fact, the last Leaf to hit 85+ points was Sundin in 96/97, over 20 years ago.

I do think JT, Matthews and Marner each have a CHANCE to do this, but all 3 doing it is very unlikely. They’d all need to be totally healthy, having terrific seasons, AND they’d probably all have to be on the 1st PP. I’d give it maybe a 5% chance.
How about 2 out of 3? Which 2? There are some really weak teams that the Leafs can feast on (Ottawa, Montreal etc) multiple times in the season. I think they will come close.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Doable , i think matthews will end the season just under 85 . I'm thinking papi gets 80-82 points

Marner and JT will get over 90 that line is gonna do alot of scoring

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews will score 90+ points this season. I have a feeling he is coming to play this season.

Both of Marner and Tavares will be 80+ points.

Nylander? He may not even be a Leaf no more.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Marner I could see at 75-80 pts... JT in the 80-90 pt range playing with Marner, and I could see Matthews having a 50+40 season and posting up 90 pts. I agree with poster above though, all 3 hitting 85 pts seems unlikely. Health is a big factor.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
How about 2 out of 3? Which 2? There are some really weak teams that the Leafs can feast on (Ottawa, Montreal etc) multiple times in the season. I think they will come close.
If I had to give narrow-band predictions, IF ALL 3 PLAY 82 GAMES (which is a massive if):
  • JT hits 85-90. He’s a major star in his prime, he should play on the top PP all season, and will play with better-than-he’s-used-to linemates. He’s only hit 85 once so far, but has been on pace for 80+ points (per 82 games) in 5 of his last 7 seasons, so it’s definitely doable for him
  • Marner hits 75-80. Should also play all season on the top PP, and at ES should consistency be centred by JT (probably) or Matthews (if Babs mixes things up)
  • Matthews hits 75-80. More effective than Marner at ES, but less effective on the PP, and will probably bounce around between the first and second PP
So I’ll predict that only JT hits 85, but all 3 get close, IF they all play 82 games.

Last edited:

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
All 3 have the skill but the chances of all reaching 85 this year is low.

Although, when you think about it, Matthews was on pace for 85 last year. Is it wrong to expect a couple more?

Tavares had 84 last year. He will get less ice time this season but have a better winger than he's ever had. I'm expecting at least 75 but I think he should get 80+.

Then marner. He had 69 last year so 85 is a bit of a jump. But he will be playing with the best centre of his career (AM or JT) and should see natural progression from last year. Definitely possible.

Only one I can't see it happening for is nylander.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If Marleau-Matthews-Nylander click, and if that PP returns to 2016-17 level, then I can see Matthews topping 85 points. It is only 2 points more than he was pacing towards during an injury plagued season.

I personally don't see Tavares doing it (the decrease in ice-time - especially the decrease in ice-time at the most productive times, along with the shift to a team that will protecting a lead far more than the Islanders were, and where defensive responsibility plays a larger role is going to cut into his production).

I don't see Marner making a 16 point jump, and while Tavares is a great linemate, Marner has never had to play with someone like Hyman before.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I can see Matthews, Marner and JT hitting that without a prob. Maybe Nyl as well assuming he’s on the team

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This should be very doable. Matthews, Marner and JT.

3 Leafs having a Barzalian like season would be very impressive and exciting, considering only 15 players achieved that impressive & noteworthy mark last year.

3 Leafs in the top 15 of league scoring is not very doable, but it might be remotely possible, if everything goes well and injuries or slumps don't play a part in Leafs season.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
How is this possible if they play 16-17 mins a night? They need to play 19-21 mins each and then they might be able to reach that point but the way Babcock gives them ice I don’t see even a single one of them getting 85 points.

Reactions: Auston Powers

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
My rationale on the big 3 is they will be a unit on the first PP. along with 1 more forward or 2 dmen. second unit PP can feature Kadri, Johnson, Marleau brow kap or some variation.
On each PP goal scored AM, MM and JT should have the touches. Maybe not all three of them but most often. That alone should prop up the pt. totals.

Auston Powers

May 16, 2016
Toronto
How is this possible if they play 16-17 mins a night? They need to play 19-21 mins each and then they might be able to reach that point but the way Babcock gives them ice I don’t see even a single one of them getting 85 points.
I agree and see this as the reason why it would be so hard for 3 of them to get to 85 points. I could see one of the two combos getting there. Matthews/Nylander OR Tavares/Marner but not both as there is only so much ice time to go around.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matthews will score 90+ points this season. I have a feeling he is coming to play this season.

Both of Marner and Tavares will be 80+ points.

Nylander? He may not even be a Leaf no more.

Nylander will get signed

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Tons of talent but it's still only a 60 minute game. One guy, maybe two, over 80 would be a start. And perhaps another guy in the 70s after that. There will be ups and downs, inconsistent play, probably a couple of injuries, losing streaks, and other things we can't predict.

As much as I love Matthews/Tavares/Marner they are not Crosby/Malkin/Kessel. They won't get the same ice time or stacked powerplay either. They would have to if they wanted any hope at all of reaching 3x80 let alone 3x85.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
4 leafs player could hit 70+
matthews
jt
marner
rielly/nylander

rielly played 2:12 of pp time last year and got 25 points on the pp, 15 pp points until the last month and a bit where he got 10 pp points. If rielly gets a bit more pp time and more time in general and plays closer to the closing month of the year vs the rest he has a legit shot at 70. Adding 1-2 mins of ev time and adding 40 sec -1 min of pp time, seeing him play 23-24 mins could really up his scoring. Honestly think he has a better shot then nylander mostly cause rielly is a bigger focus on the pp.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
With Marner's elevated game and some anticipating 80-100 point season, is the possibility of 3 Leafs with 85 pts a very real possibility? Tavares' range is already established at 85pts so that leaves AM34 to reach it as well. If all three do not reach the plateau, which one of the three (Does Not)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad