Line Combos: Predicting the future

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So I was thinking about our future and what we have in the organization. Obviously there is no chance that all of your prospects pan out, but we have a lot of reason for optimism with how some of our prospects are developing. Just thinking of a skeleton line up for down the line 1-3 year time period...

It all depends on moves we make, I am going to propose a hypothetical trade in the thread, but Gardiner and our 8th to move up and select Bennett (we need a #C, and you need to draft those)

JVR-Bennett-Kessel
Leivo-Kadri-Clarkson (that contract will still be here sadly)
?-Gauthier-Biggs (Biggs is fine, needs a few years, but good defensively, blocks shots)
Broll-Carrick-?
Devane

Reilly-Phaneuf
Finn-Granberg
Percy-?

Bernier

Obviously I don't have Lupul, Bozak, Gunnar, Franson...and I am not even sure if Kadri sticks neccessarily (could see him go and Bozak stays) but depending on the return...either way rambling.

There is a lot to like about what we have in the system...2-3 years seems like a long way to go but this is honestly the best our prospect pool has looked in a while.

BauerHOCKEY

Jun 21, 2011
Whitby, ON
I don't like looking too far into the future with sports. Too many unknowns.

But I'm intrigued by the idea of the Leafs moving up to take Bennett or Reinhart. Especially now that Edmonton owns the rights to the pick.

If Eckblad is gone, with the lack of any other substantial D man prospect, they could swap picks with the Leafs and take a good potential D man in Gardiner that could step in right away.

The leafs would get that coveted 1st Line C they have been looking for. Even if not right away.

The Oilers would still get a pretty decent pick at 8th and a potential top 4 D man and they already have some high skilled forwards in their system.

Bennett / Bozak / Kadri / Holland down the middle would be a very good Center core to build around.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
It's so hard to predict lineups 2-3 years down the road, so i'll just take a crack at next years lineup.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
UFA-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-Holland-UFA or Leivo
Ashton-McClement-Bodie

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Gunnar-Rielly
Granberg-UFA or Gleason

Bernier
Reimer or UFA

Lupul + Franson traded. Raymond + Bolland walk.

Last edited:

ForSpareParts*

So I was thinking about our future and what we have in the organization. Obviously there is no chance that all of your prospects pan out, but we have a lot of reason for optimism with how some of our prospects are developing. Just thinking of a skeleton line up for down the line 1-3 year time period...

It all depends on moves we make, I am going to propose a hypothetical trade in the thread, but Gardiner and our 8th to move up and select Bennett (we need a #C, and you need to draft those)

JVR-Bennett-Kessel
Leivo-Kadri-Clarkson (that contract will still be here sadly)
?-Gauthier-Biggs (Biggs is fine, needs a few years, but good defensively, blocks shots)
Broll-Carrick-?
Devane

Reilly-Phaneuf
Finn-Granberg
Percy-?

Bernier

Obviously I don't have Lupul, Bozak, Gunnar, Franson...and I am not even sure if Kadri sticks neccessarily (could see him go and Bozak stays) but depending on the return...either way rambling.

There is a lot to like about what we have in the system...2-3 years seems like a long way to go but this is honestly the best our prospect pool has looked in a while.

I cannot predict the future, but I can guarantee that it won't look anything like your roster. Imagine 85% less of the people you just mentioned.

A more conservative prediction in 2 years:

JvR ____ Kessel
____ Bozak ____
____ _____ ____
____ Gaultier ____

Rielly _______
Percy _______
_____ ______

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Didn't we trade Carrick? Or am I thinking of another player that starts with 'C'?

Colborne or Crescenzi. Carrick is one of our most intriguing prospects and Spott loves him. He went from playing in the ECHL under Eakins to the top line for the Marlies under Spott. I see his upside as a higher IQ Gregory Campbell. Which every team needs. As for the future roster, I won't make a prediction on who we are grabbing with the 8th overall pick, but I'll give it a shot.

2015-16:

JVR - Kadri - Kessel (New Coach, new attitude, these guys will learn to play defense)
Lupul - Bozak - Clarkson
D'amigo - Holland - Leivo
Broll - Carrick - Biggs (This will be our version of Thornton - Campbell - Paille)
Devane, Ashton

Gardiner - Rielly
Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Percy - Granberg
MacWilliam, Nilsson, Knodel

Bernier
Sparks

- Biggs, Percy, Leivo, Broll & Nilsson will all still be waiver exempt to keep under 22 man roster.
- Gleason will be with the Marlies to save 900k of cap space.

In addition to three of those waiver exempt players, we will have Gauthier, Brown, Verhaeghe, Rupert (x2?), Herzog, Johnson, Finn, & Loov in the minors.

Question Marks are McKegg & the Minnestoa-Duluth boys.

This isn't a pretty lineup by any means, but it is full of High IQ, and a hard working bottom 6 that is defensively responsible, this team needs to retool its attitude and work ethic more than anything.

ForSpareParts*

It's so hard to predict lineups 2-3 years down the road, so i'll just take a crack at next years lineup.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
UFA-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-Holland-UFA or Leivo
Ashton-McClement-Bodie

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Gunnar-Rielly
Granberg-UFA or Gleason

Bernier
Reimer or UFA

Lupul + Franson traded. Raymond + Bolland walk.

^This team will not compete at all. That could be the makings of another terrible year. Especially on the defensive side of things. That D core is the worst.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Bolland - Vrbata
Ashton - Holland - Clarkson
Bodie - McClement - D'Amigo

Phaneuf - ??
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Fayne

Bernier
??

mikebel111*

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Bolland - Vrbata

Phaneuf - ??
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Fayne

Bernier
??

I expect Bolland to be resigned and Kadri traded because it's leafs:laugh:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I expect Bolland to be resigned and Kadri traded because it's leafs:laugh:

Exactly. It's almost like it's set in stone.

This is a prediction thread, not "what would you do" thread.

If it were me, I'd run with Kadri and Holland as your top 2 centers next season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
#tanknation

What's so wrong with that? Being nice and patient for once might benefit this team and the young players it has on it. I also think Kadri puts up more than 50 points next season.

What's your alternative?

Stastny & 7 x 7?

Bolland at 5.5 x 7?

Lol yeah good luck with that.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
What's so wrong with that? Being nice and patient for once might benefit this team and the young players it has on it. I also think Kadri puts up more than 50 points next season.

What's your alternative?

Stastny & 7 x 7?

Bolland at 5.5 x 7?

Lol yeah good luck with that.

My....you're defensive. I never voiced my support for either side...I simply saw through your post, and threw up the hashtag for you.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
JVR-Bennett- Kessel
Leivo- Kadri- D'Amigo
Ashton- Gauthier- Clarkson
Rupert-Rupert-Biggs

Rielly-XXX
Gunnerson-Grandberg
Gleason-Petry

Bernier
XXX

Having trouble predicting the final 2 spots of our roster

One big trade, Gardiner, 8th overall, and Phaneuf for 3rd overal and Petry
Rielly's partner would probably be an UFA signing
Beriner's backup would aslo be a UFA signing
Bolland, Raymond, Kulimen, McClement all walked
Bozak, Riemer, and franson were all traded for picks.

StatsNightHero

Mar 25, 2014
^that's a steal for Edmonton... Gardiner +8 > 3 and phaneuf> petry, even with phaneufs contract.

and those bottom 3 lines...

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Bolland - Vrbata

Phaneuf - ??
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Fayne

Bernier
??

Last thing this team needs is another inconsistent forward who doesn't play a team game or defense in Vrbata. He is essentially another Lupul who will cost at least the same as Lupul.

I'm all for letting everyone walk unless they really want to be here and seeing how this team can play next season. I'd give Franson a 1 year deal to take him to UFA and Reimer a second chance. Florida, NYI & Edmonton have no intention to tank and Vancouver and Carolina have too strong of rosters to end up top 3. If we get a new coach, play the kids and have JVR, Lupul & Kessel spend next season focusing on improving their game, all the while giving Reimer a second chance. We could potential finish top 5 next season, with having a strong enough core to turn things around the next season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Last thing this team needs is another inconsistent forward who doesn't play a team game or defense in Vrbata. He is essentially another Lupul who will cost at least the same as Lupul.

I'm all for letting everyone walk unless they really want to be here and seeing how this team can play next season. I'd give Franson a 1 year deal to take him to UFA and Reimer a second chance. Florida, NYI & Edmonton have no intention to tank and Vancouver and Carolina have too strong of rosters to end up top 3. If we get a new coach, play the kids and have JVR, Lupul & Kessel spend next season focusing on improving their game, all the while giving Reimer a second chance. We could potential finish top 5 next season, with having a strong enough core to turn things around the next season.

:laugh:

What the hell is the point of doing that to Franson.....? Talk about poor asset management :help:

Reimer doesn't want to come back here, so talk about giving him a second chance are silly.

And by "top 5" I think you mean "bottom 5" right?

Just a reminder - finishing in the bottom 5, gets you one single 18-year old "kid".

Adding one single 18 year old kid doesn't strengthen the core.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's pretty interesting to see everyones ideas for the future, lots of difference of opinion.

I probably have too many of our prospects graduating to the NHL

Some of you have kept a lot of the team together

Some of you have made some big changes

Guess we only find out in a few years ;)

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
JvR-Bozak-Kessel
XXXX-Kadri-Clarkson
XXXX-Holland-Kuli
Bodie-McClement-XXX

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-XXXX
Gunnar-Gleason

Bernier
XXXX

Fill the XXXX in with 2 of Leivo, D'amigo or Ashton for top 9, Devane for fourth line, the return of a Lupul trade for the top four and a FA goalie for backup.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'll take a stab at it

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Kadri - Holland - Leivo
Biggs - Gauthier - Ritchie (each player ~6'3" 210lbs +)
Carrick - McClement - Ashton
Ross

Rielly - Finn
Gardiner - Gunnar
Granberg - Percy
MacWilliam

My guess at a lineup we have in like 4+ years?

mikebel111*

I'll take a stab at it

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Kadri - Holland - Leivo
Biggs - Gauthier - Ritchie (each player ~6'3" 210lbs +)
Carrick - McClement - Ashton
Ross

Rielly - Finn
Gardiner - Gunnar
Granberg - Percy
MacWilliam

My guess at a lineup we have in like 4+ years?

change up Holland and kadri

kadri isn't a winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad