Speculation: Predicting Edmonton's ranking in the West

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So, where are we gonna place?

Soli started up a great poll that lets us vote on a number of important questions, but I'd like to discuss not only where we'll be in the standings, but who we'll be in front of.

I'm going with 10th out of 14 teams in the west.

I'm certain that we'll be in front of Arizona and Calgary for obvious reasons.

I'm pretty sure that we'll beat Winnipeg in the standings because they haven't done anything to fix their problems in net.

On top of that I figure that one of Colorado, Vancouver or Nashville will be a big enough flunk for Edmonton to end up ahead of them by the end of the season. I'm leaning towards Vancouver right now.

Place in the west: 10th

Teams we'll be on top of: Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary, Arizona.

Thoughts?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
We're going to set a new standard for suck... Gonna finish 16th in the west!!!

Seattle will even finish ahead of us!

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Last year I was wildly optimistic and predicted 11th in the West.

This year I think the team will be a little better than last year and maybe improve a couple spots... I'd say from 14th up to 12th is realistic.

If that's still too optimistic... **** it.

This team makes the term "baby steps forward" sound wildly optimistic.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
I would say 10th as well, but I think the Avs will come down to earth, while the Canucks will be better. The Sedins finally have a decent winger, and though Kesler is gone, the Nucks added the depth they needed, and improved their goaltending to a solid (and better) 1a 1b situation. They also finally can put their previous goaltending hoo-ha behind them and changed their management and coach. Would not be surprised to see them make the playoffs, but considering how strong the entire conference is, I expect them 9th.

The Avs, it was smoke and mirrors and unreal goaltending. You just can't see that happening this year after such a unreal season last year, and they certainly haven't looked very good so far this pre season.

Winnipeg still has a huge question mark with goaltending, even after their trade. Great young team, but is it enough this season?

Arizona will try and bore other teams to death, but a lack of offense will sink them, and they just don't have the money to get the scoring depth they need without giving up a big piece from their blueline.

We all expect the Flames to be last. They are just starting their rebuild, they won games last year with their hard work, but they just don't have the horses ready yet.

I think the Oil will actually improve a bit more than most of us expect. Other than the issue with our center, we have a decent team, and loads of depth as our kids are finally starting to develop. It's been a long while since we had people that we can call up that was able to show that they can play at NHL level, and the ability to mix and match with the existing team is the best I can remember in a long while.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I would say 10th as well, but I think the Avs will come down to earth, while the Canucks will be better. The Sedins finally have a decent winger, and though Kesler is gone, the Nucks added the depth they needed, and improved their goaltending to a solid (and better) 1a 1b situation. They also finally can put their previous goaltending hoo-ha behind them and changed their management and coach. Would not be surprised to see them make the playoffs, but considering how strong the entire conference is, I expect them 9th.

Didn't the barons just give Vancouver a run for their money last night?

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
12th. We'll finish ahead of Calgary, Arizona, and Nashville.

Edit: oops, forgot we're only 14 teams. I guess we'll finish 11th.

Last edited:

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON

The Avs, it was smoke and mirrors and unreal goaltending. You just can't see that happening this year after such a unreal season last year, and they certainly haven't looked very good so far this pre season.

Winnipeg still has a huge question mark with goaltending, even after their trade. Great young team, but is it enough this season?

Arizona will try and bore other teams to death, but a lack of offense will sink them, and they just don't have the money to get the scoring depth they need without giving up a big piece from their blueline.

We all expect the Flames to be last. They are just starting their rebuild, they won games last year with their hard work, but they just don't have the horses ready yet.

I think the Oil will actually improve a bit more than most of us expect. Other than the issue with our center, we have a decent team, and loads of depth as our kids are finally starting to develop. It's been a long while since we had people that we can call up that was able to show that they can play at NHL level, and the ability to mix and match with the existing team is the best I can remember in a long while.

Winnipeg has fewer questions than Edmonton and a lot more balance. A new coach should help them realize and quickly address the goaltending issue with Pavelec. If they can have top-20 goaltending, I can't imagine them finishing lower than Edmonton.

Colorado, too, has way more balance, probably still better goaltending, and a better coach. They're no lock for the playoffs but they're still a better team.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Back on topic, I see us finishing 12th in the West ahead of Calgary and Winnipeg. That is Winnipeg being 14th and Calgary being 13th.

I also see us finishing ahead of 5 teams in the East.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
So, where are we gonna place?

Soli started up a great poll that lets us vote on a number of important questions, but I'd like to discuss not only where we'll be in the standings, but who we'll be in front of.

I'm going with 10th out of 14 teams in the west.

I'm certain that we'll be in front of Arizona and Calgary for obvious reasons.

I'm pretty sure that we'll beat Winnipeg in the standings because they haven't done anything to fix their problems in net.

On top of that I figure that one of Colorado, Vancouver or Nashville will be a big enough flunk for Edmonton to end up ahead of them by the end of the season. I'm leaning towards Vancouver right now.

Place in the west: 10th

Teams we'll be on top of: Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary, Arizona.

Thoughts?

Why do you think Arizona will finish below us?

They're a strong team, well-coached, got a solid blue line, and above average goaltending (much better than our questionable duo of Scrivens and Fasths). Mike Smith is a solid starter.

IMO, Arizona will be among the teams that will fight for a playoff spot. Whether they make it is a debate for another day.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I was optimistic about the season

Then....

We have will acton make the team.

I predict a whole row of oilers season ticket holders shower eakins with their beer (and maybe other fluids placed in their beer cups) on national tv.
Knowing how easy the start of the season is...the organization and eakins better have made the right choices because people are done giving faith. Rexall wasnt nice last year? Just wait and see what will happen this year if we arent well over five hundred to start the season. We are out of the playoffs if not over 0.500 by end of october. Toast.

This will be the year of anarchy

Then this team and this city can give up on trying to sign anyone ever when they see witness the meltdown that will happen.

Either way...there will be accountability this year. The fans will make sure.

Acton made the team, if you waived him no one would notice. Yes, he even won a spot based on playing kids in preseason. That tells you the oilers chances.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

We finish ahead of Calgary, Vancouver, Arizona, Nashville, Winnipeg.

Last edited by a moderator:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1.Chicago
2.LA
3.Dallas
4.Minnesota
5.St Louis
6.San Jose
7.Edmonton
8.Vancouver
9.Colorado
10.Anaheim
11.Nashville
12.Winnipeg
13.Calgary
14.Phoenix- Smith will get injured and Dubnyk will play 50 games

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The only team I comfortably feel the Oilers will be ahead of is the Flames. And even then, the Flames were worse on paper last year to and outclassed the Oilers for much of the season.

So... tentatively 13th in the West.

Of course they could be better, but I think thats the only team that I think we will be better tahn.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The only team I comfortably feel the Oilers will be ahead of is the Flames. And even then, the Flames were worse on paper last year to and outclassed the Oilers for much of the season.

So... tentatively 13th in the West.

Of course they could be better, but I think thats the only team that I think we will be better tahn.

Calgary is a much better coached team...we still have a guy that cant even get players on the same page. Getting twenty guys on the same page would be a simple start...yet here we are. There are lots of problems and lackings after that simple first assignment.

Comic Book Guy*

Calgary is a much better coached team...we still have a guy that cant even get players on the same page. Getting twenty guys on the same page would be a simple start...yet here we are. There are lots of problems and lackings after that simple first assignment.
Team / Centers Depth/ Wingers / (Checking/ Team Defense) / Top Pairing Defense / Top 6 corps / Goaltending Tandem / Average Rating
1. Los Angeles 2 6 1 2 2 1 2.33
2. Chicago 4 1 2 1 1 10 3.17
3. St.Louis 3 3 3 4 3 12 4.67
4. Colorado 7 2 7 11 10 2 6.50
5. Minnesota 8 10 5 5 6 5 6.50
6. San Jose 1 8 6 7 8 11 6.83
7. Anaheim 5 7 4 8 11 7 7.00
8. Vancouver 10 5 8 9 7 4 7.17
9. Nashville 11 12 11 3 4 3 7.33
10. Arizona 9 13 9 6 5 8 8.33
11. Dallas 6 9 10 14 14 6 9.83
12. Edmonton 13 4 13 12 13 13 11.33
13. Winnipeg 12 11 12 13 9 14 11.83
14. Calgary 14 14 14 10 12 14 13.00

I ranked teams by position, and took their average rating and converted it into an index. On paper, that's how the west looks like to me going into this upcoming season.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The Flames are the only team in the West I see us being undoubtably better than.
Bubble teams that others think we'll finish ahead of:

1. Nashville
They finished 21 points ahead of us last year with no top-line center, and 58 games with an AHL goalie. This season they'll have a top-5 NHL goalie in Pekka Rinne that should start 65-70 games, and a legitimate 60-point centerman.
2. Vancouver Canucks
Everything went wrong for the Canucks last year, everything. And they finished with 16 more points than us. They upgraded their Lack/Markstrom combo with Ryan Miller. Say what you want about Miller's small sample size in St. Louis but its indesputable that he's a legitimate starting goalie and a better goalie than we've had in a decade. Tortorella ran the Sedins into the ground, costing them about 60 points combined. They'll have a bounce-back year, and their first top-line winger (Vrbata) in their careers.
3. Winnepeg Jets
They did virtually nothing to their roster in the offseason. Which they wouldn't even have to to stay ahead of us as they beat us by 17 points last year. Paul Maurice was hired late in the year and the Jets were substantially better.
4. Arizona Coyotes
This is the only team that I think we'll have a chance to finish ahead of this year besides the Flames. They have one of the best coaching staffs in the league and have consistently been better than they should be.

So I see the Oilers likely finishing 14th in the West with a possibility of finishing 13th if Arizona can't find a way to score or if Mike Smith gets a long term injury.

Gambl0r83*

1.Chicago
2.LA
3.Dallas
4.Minnesota
5.St Louis
6.San Jose
7.Edmonton
8.Vancouver
9.Colorado
10.Anaheim
11.Nashville
12.Winnipeg
13.Calgary
14.Phoenix- Smith will get injured and Dubnyk will play 50 games

Judging by his one performance when we played Phoenix, Dubnyk played better than Scrivens, Brossiot, or Fasth. I think he's going to prove he's actually a good goaltender given the defence in front of him. Mike Smith was a so so backup in Dallas, only to become a premier goaltender in Phoenix

And I agree with Edmonton's placing, I disagree they are going to finish 10th or 11th. It was preseason, but Oilers outplayed an undefeated Phoenix (4-0-2) and got the win. This one game to me is a good indication the oilers are growing up

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'll say 11th we just end up being straight up better then Calgary and Phoenix. Then Nashville just gets off to a bit of a slow start and deal with inconsistency with the large influx of new players and dealing with new coaching schemes, plus no Legwand and an injured Fisher.

Last edited:

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Assuming MacT doesn't make any significant moves to improve the team, I'll say we end up 12th or 13th. Better than the Flames and maybe the Jets. Last season really broke my spirit and we don't appear THAT much better this year. Still relying on AHLers and prospects to fill key roles all over the roster. Who knows, maybe something will click and we'll have a good season...but I'm not getting my hopes up. /grinch

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad