Post-Game Talk: Predictable Outcome - Leafs Give Up 5+ on Home Ice, Lose

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
It means NOTHING if HIS team continues to LOSE !!! Him and his 3 other RICH buddies can't win ALL BY THEMSELVES.
most of our wins this year have been them doing it all by themselves.

Our team lacks the necessary skilled support players, especially on D. This is due to NOT ENOUGH cap space.
if you count Kampf's 2.5 they had over 15m to spend, they just spent it really unwisely. I think it can be salvaged but am concerned that it's up to the guy who signed these horrible players to do it.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If it happens, I owe you a beer. I’d be shocked if they managed to play consistently well enough to win the division. They have always been consistently inconsistent in their effort levels even when the team on paper was much stronger.

Yeah this team is gonna need to bring it on a nightly basis just to get into the playoffs now. Unless we just sit Reaves and Klingberg once our D is healthy again then perhaps we could be back competing for a division title but even then it’s doubtful.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No, I still think Toronto will win the division, but I also don't believe much in Boston. Their lack of scoring is going to catch up with them. Meanwhile, the rest of the division is mostly mediocre. Hell, Florida may end up being the biggest threat once they get their injured guys back (at least until Ekblad inevitably gets injured again).
Bruins don't need to score many goals and they are almost unbeatable at home.

1699566244373.png

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
We have two ELCs on the roster right now (Robertson and Knies) and 3 Dubas picks that are playing on the team with 2 of them being guys that are 50/50 chances to get sent back down. League wide there's 5 Dubas draft picks that are in the league including the 3 that are on our roster. On our AHL team only Topi and possibly steeves ( not a draft pick but he gets the credit nonetheless) are even close to NHL ready that were Dubas picks.

No the drafting has not been good. Especially for someone who is somehow given credit as a "great drafter"
Yeah, but we got Vince McMann on the Marlins ready to tear up the league. He’s older than Treliving, but still

Reactions: rocketman588

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah this team is gonna need to bring it on a nightly basis just to get into the playoffs now.
Part of the problem is that in a lot of games their skill advantage is so significant relative to the opposition that they don't have to try all that hard to win. Experiencing some struggle during the season might actually be better for them come playoff time.

Since Thanksgiving day varies and is early this year Dec 1st might be a better date to go with
Plus, with overtime points that US Thanksgiving line in the sand has become a lot blurrier.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
With a little luck, you can end up like Tampa and Col did in a down year and hopefully scoop up a Makar or a Point.
Makar was a lottery pick, which we will not get, and Point was a 3rd rounder in a year they made the playoffs.

Reactions: Jojalu

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Yes, that makes sense as well. But you are writing off two years. But in two years, you have a seasoned Knies, with Matthews and Willie. Kind a like your thought process
and maybe a couple of the other kids develop, we pick up some new d-men to replace the guys that are getting long in the tooth, and we fix our goaltending. you never know.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We have two ELCs on the roster right now (Robertson and Knies)
We have Knies and Robertson currently on the team providing quality depth on ELCs, with Minten and Holmberg each also getting into some games this season.
We haven't had that in ages, and we've got a good pool with multiple promising prospects for the next few years.
Drafting, development, and internal help is the furthest thing from the problem this year.
In fact, having Dubas' draft picks start to come of age is one of the big things saving our depth this year.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We have Knies and Robertson currently on the team providing quality depth on ELCs, with Minten and Holmberg each also getting into some games this season.
We haven't had that in ages, and we've got a good pool with multiple promising prospects for the next few years.
Drafting, development, and internal help is the furthest thing from the problem this year.
In fact, having Dubas' draft picks start to come of age is one of the big things saving our depth this year.
And yet we still keep losing

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
He's had some great games for sure, but he's had more than 1 bad game so far this season.

Bottom line is, you really think Woll by himself will carry us to a Stanley Cup?

I think Woll is part of a decent tandem, but a 1A needing a 1B.
That’s true, that’s all he is until he proves otherwise, and in order to do that he first needs to stay healthy.

Last edited:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Welp, congrats everyone, we're basically the Edmonton Oilers.

Goaltending sucks.

Defense sucks (Klingberg might the worst defensemen I've seen on this team in years).

No offensive depth.

Special teams suck.

This is easily the worst iteration of the Leafs in years. Imagine what this team's record would be if Matthews or Nylander were injured?
Agree with most of this BUT we're 6-5-2 could be worse considering.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Yep, top 4 have been playing out of their minds to keep us afloat. Unfortunately it's not sustainable.
Thank the lord they are. Still better than the alternative. I'm a half full glass guy, BUT I've been around long enough to know we need our 3 D back (McCabe, Lilly and Timmins) and the goaltending and team defensive structure to improve to have a chance of being a shoe in for the playoffs. Something is weird this year.

Timmins can take Klings spot for me any day. Hope he's healthy soon. Lilly was actually looking like a good number 4 D and of course he gets badly injured. It never ends.

Reactions: LastOne2100

great

Apr 14, 2018
Just forget this year, shore up some prospects. This team needs a retool

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We're not losing because we have the likes of Knies and Robertson providing cheap, quality depth.
We're losing because of decisions made last offseason.
I agree that Tre’s moves have been a disaster But we were losing with Dubas’s off season and trade deadline moves before Tre got here.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I agree that Tre’s moves have been a disaster But we were losing with Dubas’s off season and trade deadline moves before Tre got here.
Irrelevance to the discussion aside, Dubas' moves helped us become a top tier team.
Treliving took a top tier team, a core in their primes, more cap space, and more cheap internal help, and somehow turned us into a mid-tier team in one offseason.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I still think Dubas’ plan this season was to renovate starting with Matthews and Nylander. Once they figured that out their status they could move forward. I’ve always given Dubas credit for trying, but he mismanaged the rebuild and put them a very precarious position to ever want to become a legit Cup contender.
With Matthews signed for just 4 years they only have 2 years after this to build a competitive team and I have no confidence that Treliving will do the right thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad