Predict Your Team's Next Captain

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
the people that think this is a big deal or "sore loser action" are just out there for the story. how many kids don't act off emotions? Id rather have someone who has this emotion then a bunch of robots

Cups won by kids that show emotion by throwing their medals in the stands- 0

Cups won by "robots" who don't throw medals in the stands- too many to count.

Seems like those robots who are fine with losing are doing pretty good.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Imagine if Lias Andersson never becomes an impact player and we wasted all this time screaming at each other.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A kid who has probably only been playing hockey for a year or two right now and a decade plus away from being drafted

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Who do you think will be your teams next captain after the current one?

From my perspective as a flames fan I see Monahan as taking over after Giordano.

What about you all?

Should be Tkachuk, probably Money though.

I think it should no doubt be Monahan. I love the passion that Tkachuk plays with but I think that kind of leadership can be brought without the C, or even a letter, on the jersey.

For me a captains biggest role is as much PR as it is "lead" the guys on the ice. I think you obviously need the ability to get the team going and respect of the players to want to follow you but really a lot of that can be done letter or not.

What the captain has to do is be the face of the franchise with the media, public and league. It is the last part that I think makes little sense for Tkachuk to have the letter. He is a guy that plays on the edge and if he is the same guy going to the refs for all the explanations, to plead our case for calls and generally interacting with the refs I think with his play that isn't a great fit. I also think it isn't a great look to have your captain sitting out games with a suspension.

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What are your thoughts on the woman on the Canadian Women's team who took the Silver Medal off?

You didn't ask me but I think there is a big difference in taking the medal off and being disappointed with losing and throwing the medal in the stands.

Throwing it into the stands takes it from being disappointed to disrespecting the medal and being a jackass. If he would have taken off and said "I didn't come to win 2nd or it doesn't feel right having this medal on" I would have no problem, throwing it away like he did is an whole other issue though.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't see it. At least with this coaching staff it feels like Fowler is closer to that position than Hampus.
Well, this coaching staff (hopefully) isn't going to be there by the time Getzlaf retires. I think Hampus is more suited for the role than Fowler personally

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You didn't ask me but I think there is a big difference in taking the medal off and being disappointed with losing and throwing the medal in the stands.

Throwing it into the stands takes it from being disappointed to disrespecting the medal and being a jackass. If he would have taken off and said "I didn't come to win 2nd or it doesn't feel right having this medal on" I would have no problem, throwing it away like he did is an whole other issue though.
Don't think the difference is all that big. The WJC is a relatively unknown tournament. The Olympics at least try to imbue its competitions with a sense and aura of good sportsmanship. I think everyone knows the IOC is corrupt and in many ways the competitions and how they are run is flawed, so it's not like the Canadian woman tarnished some long standing legacy. But you're standing there with the world's eyes on you, after a championship game played at the highest level of the sport and instead of being a good sport she immediately plays the sore loser. She didn't even wait until she was off camera. I just feel "that just shows how much heart and compete they have" is a poor excuse for bad sportsmanship. It disrespects the competition you beat and the one you lost to. And hell, even your own team. Reaching silver is still a great accomplishment in any competition and you cheapen your team's achievement by dwelling on not doing better. And yes. I understand deciding the shootout is a sham way to lose a championship game. I will never dispute that. But the Canadians stopped dominating the game after the second. They had every opportunity to sink the US before it got to that point. For all I care, once the game was over she could've tossed that medal into a dumpster. But while the three medaling teams are being honored, keep the damn medal on. The game is bigger than her and I'd say this if I watched Hilary Knight do the same thing.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well, this coaching staff (hopefully) isn't going to be there by the time Getzlaf retires. I think Hampus is more suited for the role than Fowler personally
What makes him more suited? I'm not grilling you I'm just genuinely curious about your take. I remember in the AHL he was definitely running the team's whole defense. To the point where he'd point to where his defensive partners and forwards should go to properly defend. But with Anaheim the only leadership I might be able to see is leading by example? But even at this point he still has games where he doesn't give his best. Granted, the same can easily be said about Getzlaf.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Koivu is 35, so assuming that it doesn't go elsewhere during his 2 year extension (and I don't think it will), the next ones in line would be Parise/Suter, but they'll be 35ish, so I'm not so sure it wouldn't pass to somebody in the late-20's group (Coyle, Zucker, Granlund). Possibly Spurgeon if he extends in the summer of 2020 (same summer that I'd expect Koivu to call it quits).

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I'd concur that Fowler's probably closer to the captaincy. He's already in the alternate captain rotation, he's a bit older, and he'll have been here for a few seasons longer by the time that Getzlaf retires. Lindholm will definitely be one of the alternates though.

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
Bergeron is next in line for sure once Chara retires, but I could see him being so humble as to give the C to David Backes, whose leadership abilities were renowned in St. Louis.
Just No.....Bergeron is the next captain. There is no reason he would or should give it Backes.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
What makes him more suited? I'm not grilling you I'm just genuinely curious about your take. I remember in the AHL he was definitely running the team's whole defense. To the point where he'd point to where his defensive partners and forwards should go to properly defend. But with Anaheim the only leadership I might be able to see is leading by example? But even at this point he still has games where he doesn't give his best. Granted, the same can easily be said about Getzlaf.

I see his play as way more consistent than Fowler's and I have never questioned his effort. He's also a gym rat in the offseason which I think is important from your captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad