Predict who will win the Conn Smythe Trophy?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Nashville:

Pekka Rinne. Rinne has been clutch in the 17' playoffs. He is an incredible 0.941, with 1.70 GAA, with two shutouts.

Filip Forsberg. Leads the Preds with 15 points. Has been an insane +17. Is playing over 20 minutes average, and just keeps chipping away at the opposition.

Pittsburgh:

Evgeni Malkin. Leads all playoff scorers with 24 points and 17 assists.

Sidney Crosby. Despite suffering a concussion, fought through adversity, and has 20 points, good for second place in scoring. Crosby is simply a winner in the big games, and is proving it again this year.

My prediction: Pittsburgh will take it in six games. I think Malkin will step up his games in the Final, and hoist the Conn Smythe Trophy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agreed. Think it's down to 4.

FF/Rinne vs. Crosby/Malkin. No others are even remotely in the picture. An outside chance for Phil if he goes absolute ape **** in the series.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Filip Forsberg should not be a Conn Smythe candidate. The fact you have to use +/- to prop him up should be enough proof.

He hasn't been that great, he's been a top six forward but I wouldn't say he's out there dominating even with Johansen and Arvidsson. From the Preds, it has to be Rinne or Subban. Subban has gone H2H against the toughest match ups and looked great. He kept a lid on Tarasenko, Getzlaf/Perry, and Kane/Panarin.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Filip Forsberg should not be a Conn Smythe candidate. The fact you have to use +/- to prop him up should be enough proof.

He hasn't been that great, he's been a top six forward but I wouldn't say he's out there dominating even with Johansen and Arvidsson. From the Preds, it has to be Rinne or Subban. Subban has gone H2H against the toughest match ups and looked great. He kept a lid on Tarasenko, Getzlaf/Perry, and Kane/Panarin.

This. Johansen was their best forward till he got hurt. Rinne>Subban>Ekholm for the preds candidate so far with Rinne being a clear frontrunner.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
P.K. Subban because it would make so many people so very, very mad in Ottawa and Montreal.

Rinne is a more serious choice though, or maybe Arvidsson or Josi as dark horses.

Malkin for Pitt, or Crosby.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
This. Johansen was their best forward till he got hurt. Rinne>Subban>Ekholm for the preds candidate so far with Rinne being a clear frontrunner.

This^^

Right now, if the Preds win, there's a 90% chance Rinne wins it. If Subban scores an OT goal and gets over a point per game in the series, he should get it. Same with Ekholm. Maybe Ellis too. In fact, Forsberg too, if he scores a goal per game. So basically, it will be Rinne unless someone else really steps up or if Rinne gets injured or something.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
It's going to be Crosby regardless of whether someone else is more deserving or not. This is assuming the Pens win though, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him win it even if they don't.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not sure why Kessel is being thrown aside. He's one point behind Sid. Tied with both Sid and Geno in goals. And leading us in PP goals.

If anything, because he's playing with Malkin, he'll probably get looked over.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Two reasons.

I don't think Phil is deserving right now. Malkin and Crosby are ahead of him.

Phil should have won last year. So I suspect he would have to win in a landslide.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nashville:

Pekka Rinne. Rinne has been clutch in the 17' playoffs. He is an incredible 0.941, with 1.70 GAA, with two shutouts.

And just think... the goalie he'll be facing has even better numbers. 0.946, with a 1.35 GAA and 1 shutout. :sarcasm:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not sure why Kessel is being thrown aside. He's one point behind Sid. Tied with both Sid and Geno in goals. And leading us in PP goals.

If anything, because he's playing with Malkin, he'll probably get looked over.

Because he's not controlling the game the same way Crosby does. It's the same as last year. Great player, consistent offensively, key part of the reason we won (and why we are where we currently are) but not as important as Crosby or Malkin. All people do is look at the points... 3 additional points is not nearly enough to make up for the difference in what's actually happening on the ice.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
Because he's not controlling the game the same way Crosby does. It's the same as last year. Great player, consistent offensively, key part of the reason we won (and why we are where we currently are) but not as important as Crosby or Malkin. All people do is look at the points... 3 additional points is not nearly enough to make up for the difference in what's actually happening on the ice.
If you mean that so Malkin is ahead Crosby because Sid has very bad defensive games and his line was on ice against many opponent´s goals in all three series so far. Malkin/Kessel line/s is much more consistent on both ends.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I have only 2 candidates:

Preds: Rinne. If Nashville hoists the cup, its all Rinne. If Rinne doesnt let in >3g/g

Pens: Malkin. 24 points and good play all over the ice. Sid has to go and pot 2p/g in the finals to beat him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: