Predict the Standings

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Probably a safe bet that we won't see any more big roster moves from here, save for the outstanding RFA deals, but everything appears set for the most part. Figured it's time to take a crack at the standings. I have:

Pacific
Vegas
San Jose
Calgary
Arizona

Vancouver
Edmonton
Anaheim
Los Angeles

Central
Nashville
St. Louis
Colorado
Winnipeg

Dallas
Minnesota
Chicago

Atlantic
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston
Florida
Montreal

Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

Metropolitan
Washington
Islanders
Pittsburgh

Philadelphia
Rangers
Devils
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

Bolded teams are the playoff teams. There are 3 different playoff teams (Florida, Montreal, Arizona) than last year, which is probably too low.

I have Arizona losing in Round 1 to Nashville. And Vegas beating Tampa for the Cup.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I am gonna leave the East for now... feel like I'd do better in the West

Pacific
Arizona: always #1 in my heart.
Vegas
- They SHOULD be in the playoff mix and I have a hard time believing they'd struggle too much but you never know.
Calgary - Got talent... goaltending has been the issue.
San Jose -could see them taking a step back this year without Pavelski and age being a factor... however, EK65 is the x-factor here for me.
Edmonton- Playoffs def possible with Tip at the helm. Wouldn't count them out this year. Easily could beat out San Jose.
Vancouver- I could see some improvement from last year but how much?
Anaheim - They are lucky... or unlucky... that their goalie carried them so much.
Los Angeles - Any reason needed?

Central

Colorado- I feel like they have the potential to have a monster season. They should have been better last year.
Nashville - Have been a lock for the playoffs for a bit now... I think they can keep that going this year.
St. Louis - Cup winners... have a hard time not at least putting them back into the playoffs.
Dallas - I think they got the playoffs in them this year.
Winnipeg - I have a feeling about this team... feels like they are going to underperform. Maybe I'm wrong... I easily could have put them a spot lower.
Chicago - Wish I could put Chicago lower. This might be too low unfortunately.
Minnesota - watch Urinatingtree's video about them on youtube to get my feeling about Minnesota... I feel like their hard times are just starting. New Gm though so... could change????

This long post is brought to you by: My opinion*.

*Do not use these opinions for any bets, monetary or otherwise. Doing so could, and probably will, result in loss of said bet and possible loss of street cred with your friends. These opinions are not substantiated on much tangible evidence and may cause drowsiness, headaches, fever, paranoia, and possibly aggression. Consume responsibly.

Reactions: sundance74

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Pacific
Vegas -if not for Stone, I would have been harsh on them.
Edmonton -have to be better. Soon. Just have to. Archibald will drag them to the playoffs. :naughty:
Arizona - this might be a result of me rooting for the Yotes. I am very nervous for this season, but by all means, it's a good thing if people are optimistic...
San Jose -yeah, overrated IMHO. Even if that Karlsson - contract might not be so terrible- in it's first year...
Vancouver -dangerous, but not back in the playoffs- yet.
Calgary - I expect them to be back to being unexplainable bad again.
Anaheim -it's a tank-team.
Los Angeles - and another tank-team.

Central
Minnesota -everybody say they will be bad. They should have a couple of years left in them. Most underrated team in the league now. And you know I think Zucc will light them on fire.
St. Louis
Colorado
Nashville -
this so Duchene will be seen in the playoffs... if not for him, I would have counted them out.
Winnipeg - team closest to San Jose.
Dallas
Chicago

Atlantic
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Florida
Boston

Montreal
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

Metropolitan
Rangers
Washington
Devils
Islanders

Hurricanes
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Blue Jackets

Metro will be back to being gung-ho. Penguins missing? Hoping for that every year? Normally being wrong, though. :laugh:

6 different playoff teams than last year, this league has parity.

(Edit- As someone under here wrote, Islanders had great goaltending this last season. If it should be 7 teams missing, the change would be Montreal beating out Islanders for the last wild card.)

I have Arizona to CF if the team actually makes the playoffs.

One of the top 3 teams from Central goes to the SCF, but loses to Tampa or Toronto.

Last edited:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Pacific
Vegas
Arizona
Too biased to be fair.
San Jose Gonna rely a lot on Burns and Karlsson eating minutes. EK better be 100% or they might be out of the picture
Calgary Regression seems likely, weak goaltending too.
Vancouver They'll tease their fans with holding a playoff spot for a couple weeks in early December.
Anaheim some good young players, and they had a lot of injuries. Could surprise.
Edmonton Tipp and Smith will either be amazing or a complete disaster.

LA

Central

Dallas a great team last year that got even better in the offseason. Best team in the west
St Louis
Colorado
tossup between COL and NSH.
Nashville
Winnipeg - Age will slow Wheeler, Buff, and Little down. Hellbuck will be exposed with poor D.
Chicago - Lehner will help.
Minnesota - so many bad moves by Fenton.

Atlantic
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston
Florida
really interested to see how much Bob helps them.
Montreal
Buffalo

Detroit
Ottawa

Metropolitan
Washington
Pittsburgh
don't see either of these teams missing the playoffs, although I could see PITT as a wildcard...
Hurricanes Really unconfident about this pick....
Philadelphia so much talent on the team. Might finally have a goalie in Hart.
Rangers - NY and NJ will both tease their fans with being in aplayoff spot during the season. Will be close
Devils
Islanders - They're not having a goalie with a 930 SV % again.

Blue Jackets

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not ready to predict anything yet :dunce:

I think Tippett is good for the first 2 or 3 years .. so i expect Edmonton to be good

I think his biggest challenge will be coaching so that his team tries to dictate the pace of play rather than take the game as it comes. The Oilers don't have to play firewagon hockey just because they have a lot of forward talent, but they need to force other teams to try and counter what they are doing and not the other way around. The Coyotes had to choice but to be a counter-attack offense. The Stars were certainly more talented generally but the talent was still tilted toward the defensive side of the puck(usually bottom 5 ranked in shots for, but also against). The Oilers have to set the pace of play not be an adjustment team.

If he can do that, I don't think the game has passed him by in other aspects.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'll just do the Pacific.

San Jose
Vegas
Edmonton
Arizona
Calgary
Vancouver
LA
Anaheim

Top 2 don't need much explanation, both teams are stacked. I think Edmonton has a good year, McDavid and Drai magic plus Tippett will help for a year. I think it's going to be a one year flash though. I could see us finishing below Calgary, but I don't trust their goaltending, and I think they may have overachieved last year. Vancouver is on the way up, I think LA gets a little better with improved coaching. Unless Gibson goes full Hasek I think Anaheim struggles.

Solid bet that not one of these is right.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
San Jose is interesting to me. They have two 70pt centers in their primes. They have two 30g wingers in their primes. That’s so much more than most teams. Yet, the rest of their forwards are basically replacement level. Like no QUALITY depth at all. Similar on D. They’ve got an amazing, fantastic, elite top three. Then it drops off to replacement level players immediately. I don’t believe in their goaltending at all. Especially given that their top two D are not good defenders.

They kind of remind me of the 90s Coyotes who had Tkachuk, Roenick, Numminen, Lumme and then complete trash the rest of the way through the lineup. At least the Coyotes always had really good goaltending, though.

They seem built to beat the teams they’re supposed to beat in the regular season, and then get smoked in the first round of the playoffs.

They are also a team where if one or two of those top guys slump or are injured, they’re immediately very easy to neutralize and might even miss the post season.

Reactions: CC96 and Jakey53

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
The Kings are silently having a nice rebuild. If they flunk this season again and add Lefrenier or Raymond in the draft they're going to be a force in couple years with Turcotte, Vilardi and Kupari down the middle.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also thinking about Colorado. I’m pretty sure Barrie is a better player than Kadri. I like Soderberg more than Burakovsky and I like Kerfoot more than Nichushkin.

Barrie+Soderberg+Kerfoot >>> Kadri+Burakovsky+Nichushkin

Though I suppose Donskoi and especially Makar make up that gap.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also thinking about Colorado. I’m pretty sure Barrie is a better player than Kadri. I like Soderberg more than Burakovsky and I like Kerfoot more than Nichushkin.

Barrie+Soderberg+Kerfoot >>> Kadri+Burakovsky+Nichushkin

Though I suppose Donskoi and especially Makar make up that gap.
Don't forget about Bowen Bryam. Makar is of course cheaper and if the playoffs are any indication, I see why they traded Barrie.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Pacific
Vegas
San Jose

Arizona - Chayka adds another goal scorer at the TDL (or before)
Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary - big step back, issues in goal and with overall team chemistry
Anaheim
Los Angeles

Central
Colorado
Dallas
St Louis
Nashville
Winnipeg

Chicago
Minnesota

Atlantic
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston
Florida

Montreal
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

Metropolitan
Washington
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia

Pittsburgh
NJ Devils
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

Reactions: Mosby

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Every year an average of 6 teams that made the playoffs the year before miss the next year, so I forced myself to kick some teams out that have a solid chance of making the playoffs.

Pacific

Vegas - Pretty much a slam dunk for the playoffs
Calgary - I don't trust their goaltending come playoff time, but they are built to win in the regular season.
Arizona - Gonna be this year's Islanders. Win on defense and goaltending tandem and everyone around the league is just waiting until they peeter out which doesn't happen.
Edmonton - Tippet, McDavid, and Drai drag this crap team to the playoffs kicking and screaming, although goaltending is super sketchy.
San Jose - Don't think losing Pavelski, Donskoi, and Nyquist is the move that puts you over the top. Goaltending is sketchy at best.
Vancouver - No defense, no proven goalie but some potential, no depth at forward. Should make playoffs within 2 years though.
Anaheim - Gibson was all-world last year and they missed by a mile, he can't possibly be any better and the rest of the team certainly isn't making up the gap.
Los Angeles - Need to fully embrace the tank

Central
Nashville - Don't seem to be better, but also not any worse than last year.
Dallas - Pavelski signing was so good for them, Bishop seems like he'll carry the team through tough stretches again.
St Louis - Will be fine as long as Binnington is average at worst.
Colorado - I don't think they're any better this year, but the West looks weak.
Winnipeg - Defense looks below average these days, I don't trust Hellebuyck either.
Chicago - lolwhatsdefense?! Goalies will have to be outstanding to make the playoffs.
Minnesota - So dysfunctional I can't put them any higher.

Atlantic
Tampa Bay - Slam dunk
Toronto - Slam dunk
Boston - Slam dunk
Florida - Should be better with Q and Bob
Montreal - Last year was an aberration, it seemed like everyone on their team shot a higher % than their career average would dictate. Will miss but just barely.
Buffalo - No goalie, no defense.
Detroit - Rebuilding
Ottawa - Embarrassing

Metropolitan
Washington - Slam dunk in this division.
Philadelphia - Carter Hart is the savior this team needed.
Hurricanes - Should be fine with league average goaltending.
Pittsburgh - Crosby refuses to miss the playoffs even though this team gets worse every year.
NY Islanders - Lehner nearly wins the Vezina and they let him walk, didn't get better anywhere else.
NJ Devils - Will be much better but will miss due to weak goaltending.
NY Rangers - Will be much better, but still lack depth.
Blue Jackets - Last year was fun.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I think too many people are beating up on Martin Jones after 1 bad year.
In his 4 years as a starter he's never been more than league average. League average is all the Sharks need, but if he craps out again this year they'll be in trouble when you pair that with all the talent they lost to free agency.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
(so far, after the alleged disaster that was the 2015 draft lottery, 4 years later I'm guessing most would pick us to finish above Buffalo, and most are predicting Arizona to finish above Edmonton...and those that aren't are citing as a reason the fact that Edmonton now has....Dave Tippett. :laugh: :sarcasm:)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A lot of us all seem to have the Atlantic in the same order. Easiest division to predict.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
A lot of us all seem to have the Atlantic in the same order. Easiest division to predict.

I'm starting to think this can only mean we are all wrong. The only question will be, will Ottawa suffer the Presidents Trophys curse? :sarcasm:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Just the West from me.

Pacific

Vegas - Solid team
Calgary - Could miss but enough talent to get in
Arizona - We are due, and improved
Edmonton - Tip gets them in, good use of smoke and mirrors:)
San Jose - Nope, too many players gone and getting older-see LA/Anaheim
Vancouver - Might get in, not quite enough
Anaheim - Old
Los Angeles - Old and slow

Central
Nashville - Good team
Dallas - Improved team
St Louis - Good team, not likely to miss after cup run
Colorado - Should be in but with that D and goal tending could miss
Winnipeg - D losses mean they miss
Chicago - D still terrible
Minnesota - Got old, see LA/Anaheim

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Pacific
Vegas
San Jose
Arizona -
Chayka adds another goal scorer at the TDL (or before)
Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary - big step back, issues in goal and with overall team chemistry
Anaheim
Los Angeles

Central
Colorado
Dallas
St Louis
Nashville
Winnipeg

Chicago