Pre-Game Talk: Predict the Oilers record for February

How many wins?

• Total voters

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Heavy schedule for this goaltending tandem. If Smith is healthy and productive, there is some hope for this endurance run. Maybe a soft six but this is a lot of hockey in short-time with goaltending that hasn't stood up to high workload situations. I wonder if the Oiler bring up Holloway for an adrenaline boost/looksy during the California stretch.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I hope I'm wrong.. I really do. I was positive we were a playoff team this season. It's frustrating for sure! I always cheer to the end and hope dies last.
I still think we are. Mostly because our division is still weak. We will catch up to some of the teams we have games in hand on (LA, probably Anaheim). That losing streak took us out of the running for winning the division unless Vegas completely falls apart for a dozen games too. It's going to be Vegas, us and Calgary getting in from the Pacific IMO.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I still think we are. Mostly excuse our division is still weak. We will catch up to some of the teams we have games in hand on (LA, probably Anaheim). That losing streak took us out of the running for winning the division unless Vegas completely falls apart for a dozen games too. It's going to be Vegas, us and Calgary getting in from the Pacific IMO.
Ask me on February 27th.lol That's right after the hat trick of doom - Tampa, Florida and Carolina. Also, and I don't recommend it, but look at the March schedule - it may be worse!

I remember when I was excited to play Carolina because we were the 2 best teams in the NHL after 10 games. Plus the whole Bear thing (funny how both guys are now bottom pair or 4th line with 6 minutes last night). The other one was Vegas.. when we played them at the start of the season they were missing Stone, Pacioretty and a few other key cogs and we beat them and had a huge lead on them after 15 gmaes. They caught us. I also thought Calgary was a mirage as I just don't see a great roster... they may be legit and good for them because it looked like coke machines and perimeter players to me.lol Vegas gets Eichel soon and will be a Jaugernaut but I've been wrong on so many predictions that they'll probably lose every game after that.haha

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ask me on February 27th.lol That's right after the hat trick of doom - Tampa, Florida and Carolina. Also, and I don't recommend it, but look at the March schedule - it may be worse!

I remember when I was excited to play Carolina because we were the 2 best teams in the NHL after 10 games. Plus the whole Bear thing (funny how both guys are now bottom pair or 4th line with 6 minutes last night). The other one was Vegas.. when we played them at the start of the season they were missing Stone, Pacioretty and a few other key cogs and we beat them and had a huge lead on them after 15 gmaes. They caught us. I also thought Calgary was a mirage as I just don't see a great roster... they may be legit and good for them because it looked like coke machines and perimeter players to me.lol Vegas gets Eichel soon and will be a Jaugernaut but I've been wrong on so many predictions that they'll probably lose every game after that.haha
I only have us winning one of those 3 final games, ha ha ha. So I agree, that's probably a rough patch.

I'm actually excited for March. We have a lot of filler games; Philly, Montreal, Arizona, Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit, New Jersey, San Jose. I throw LA and Dallas in that mix as well. The only games against teams that are comparable or better than us are Calgary (close to equal), Washington, Colorado and Tampa Bay (all better). I'm not suggesting we will for sure go 11 - 4, as we tend to crap the bed against bad teams sometimes (that's what kicked off our fall from the top), but if our team can keep their heads screwed on straight, February and March should really help us pile up some points. We might need that, we have a stretch in April where we have Colorado, Minnesota, Nashville, Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, Columbus, Pittsburgh, where we can only be considered the favourites in 2 of those 8 games.

Reactions: Czechboy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hard to say without knowing where Mike Smith is even at. Even if he's "healthy", he hasn't played more than 2 games in a row in like 4 months. Which Mike Smith are we even getting at this point?

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I'll be real.. The answer is 3.

They'll likely lose to bottom teams like Hawks, Isles, and Jets.

Why is that anytime someone is ridiculously pessimistic they call it "being real"? that's not being real it's being pessimistic. If you wanted to be "real" you would look at the oilers winning % up to this point in the season and assume they will continue at right around that pace as the sample size is getting large enough to start to extrapolate where they'll finish, which over the month of February is right around 7 wins.

Not trying to call you out here man, but pessimism under the guise of realism is one my biggest pet peeves.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Why is that anytime someone is ridiculously pessimistic they call it "being real"? that's not being real it's being pessimistic. If you wanted to be "real" you would look at the oilers winning % up to this point in the season and assume they will continue at right around that pace as the sample size is getting large enough to start to extrapolate where they'll finish, which over the month of February is right around 7 wins.

Not trying to call you out here man, but pessimism under the guise of realism is one my biggest pet peeves.
I'm being real because I'm giving an honest and REAL opinion on what I believe is my answer. It's just an opinion and you're free to ignore MY opinion. I'm only basing this from the teams that they're playing and the schedule is tough for the Oilers.

Not trying to call me out??? You're calling me out because you disagree with my opinion. LOL

Which teams are they getting 7 wins from? I'd like hear from you.

Washington is done. Who are the other 6 wins from.

Reactions: Czechboy

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
WSH - W
VGK - OTL
CHI - W
NYI - W
SJS - W
LAK - L
ANA - L
WPG - OTL
MIN - W
TBL - L
FLA - L
CAR - L

5 - 5 - 2.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I'm being real because I'm giving an honest and REAL opinion on what I believe is my answer. It's just an opinion and you're free to ignore MY opinion. I'm only basing this from the teams that they're playing and the schedule is tough for the Oilers.

Not trying to call me out??? You're calling me out because you disagree with my opinion. LOL

Which teams are they getting 7 wins from? I'd like hear from you.

Washington is done. Who are the other 6 wins from.

No, you stated "being real". Overt pessimism for the sake of pessimism is not "being real" it's stating an opinion with a negative slant. Starting a post with "being real" is insinuating that you are going to be stating some inalienable truth, when in fact it's nothing more than a negative opinion based on your particular view of the given situation. like I stated in my last post, that is not "being real"

if i could pick exactly which games the Oilers would win and lose i wouldn't be on a message board talking Oilers, i would be picking lottery numbers and deciding how to spend my millions, that being said, 7 wins in 12 games, regardless of the opponent, would 100% be on brand for where the team has performed up to this point in the season.

but if I must pick games to satisfy you, they have the sharks, kings and ducks coming up, all very winnable, they have beaten Vegas twice this season, already have a win against Washington, the Blackhawks Jets and islanders are all a mess, that's 8 wins...they will probably lose at least one of those but are also likely to win at least one against one of TB, Florida, Carolina and Minnesota as well.

So i say 7 wins.

Reactions: oilers'72

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
No, you stated "being real". Overt pessimism for the sake of pessimism is not "being real" it's stating an opinion with a negative slant. Starting a post with "being real" is insinuating that you are going to be stating some inalienable truth, when in fact it's nothing more than a negative opinion based on your particular view of the given situation. like I stated in my last post, that is not "being real"

if i could pick exactly which games the Oilers would win and lose i wouldn't be on a message board talking Oilers, i would be picking lottery numbers and deciding how to spend my millions, that being said, 7 wins in 12 games, regardless of the opponent, would 100% be on brand for where the team has performed up to this point in the season.

but if I must pick games to satisfy you, they have the sharks, kings and ducks coming up, all very winnable, they have beaten Vegas twice this season, already have a win against Washington, the Blackhawks Jets and islanders are all a mess, that's 8 wins...they will probably lose at least one of those but are also likely to win at least one against one of TB, Florida, Carolina and Minnesota as well.

So i say 7 wins.
Yikes. There's WAAAAAY too much negativity from you. Seems like you have a personal issue and should get it checked out for your sake.

I can be real and pessimistic, no? Does that bother you?

I understand there's disagreement between individuals but you're looking to be combative over an opinion.

There's no right or wrong answers here until the games have been played.

You might want to check out some of my posts on this thread and lighten up a bit.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Yikes. There's WAAAAAY too much negativity from you. Seems like you have a personal issue and should get it checked out for your sake.

I can be real and pessimistic, no? Does that bother you?

I understand there's disagreement between individuals but you're looking to be combative over an opinion.

There's no right or wrong answers here until the games have been played.

You might want to check out some of my posts on this thread and lighten up a bit.

by it's very definition being pessimistic, which is seeing the worst in all situations, is not being real. does it bother me? no, not at all, be as pessimistic as you want, but trying to pass that off as being real is what is a pet peeve of mine, that's all.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
by it's very definition being pessimistic, which is seeing the worst in all situations, is not being real. does it bother me? no, not at all, be as pessimistic as you want, but trying to pass that off as being real is what is a pet peeve of mine, that's all.
The reality is that the Oilers are a very, very mediocre team held up by two megastars. We're just coming off a stretch of winning 2 in 15 games. We're finally starting to put some points together but there's still a lot that needs improvement.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
FTR.. I said 4. I'd like to change that to 5.

At the time Wirtz hadn't gone crazy and they weren't interviewing Chia for GM. That should spiral the Blackhawks and I expect them to win the draft lottery now.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
I'm very well aware of the definition of pessimistic..

You ARE bothered, that's why you responded to my post. LOLOL Now you're just lying to yourself. You're being an internet Karen going off and forcing your own opinion.

We all have different perspective of what's real and we're going into semantics here.

Re-read my posts. I gave a real answer that's fitting to me because again.. it's my opinion and felt it's my real answer. Do you expect me to change my answer because you feel it's not a real answer that you dislike or don't agree with? I'm not changing my answer to appease anyone.

The poll is opinion based and you can check the count. I'm not the only person that chose 3, there's other posters that pick 3 as well. There's not a right answer or wrong answer until the games have been played. If we win more than 3 games.. Great, it means I'm wrong and the team played over my expectations.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

You ARE bothered, that's why you responded to my post. LOLOL Now you're just lying to yourself. You're being an internet Karen going off and forcing your own opinion.

We all have different perspective of what's real and we're going into semantics here.

Re-read my posts. I gave a real answer that's fitting to me because again.. it's my opinion and felt it's my real answer. Do you expect me to change my answer because you feel it's not a real answer that you dislike or don't agree with? I'm not changing my answer to appease anyone.

The poll is opinion based and you can check the count. I'm not the only person that chose 3, there's other posters that pick 3 as well. There's not a right answer or wrong answer until the games have been played. If we win more than 3 games.. Great, it means I'm wrong and the team played over my expectations.
Well to be fair most of the others who voted 3 are obvious trolls and a Canucks fan. However you are correct about everyone being entitled to their opinion. Personally I think you will be way off but hey that’s life.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Well to be fair most of the others who voted 3 are obvious trolls and a Canucks fan. However you are correct about everyone being entitled to their opinion. Personally I think you will be way off but hey that’s life.
A mod being a troll?? And the other poster is a regular here.

I've never seen the other 2 posters and they could very well be trolls.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I really hope no Oiler players frequent our board. The loudest voices seem to be negative. I know we have had rough times, but why are we arguing how shit our record is going to be? All that we can do is hope the team pulls up their socks and wins 8 games.

We had a real crappy run of games indeed. Now we’ve won 5 of 6.
Coming onto our boards is honestly cringy a lot of the times

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
I really hope no Oiler players frequent our board. The loudest voices seem to be negative. I know we have had rough times, but why are we arguing how shit our record is going to be? All that we can do is hope the team pulls up their socks and wins 8 games.

We had a real crappy run of games indeed. Now we’ve won 5 of 6.
Coming onto our boards is honestly cringy a lot of the times
It's pretty annoying to see other posters forcing their opinion onto others.

Reactions: GreeningOil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
There's 5 votes on 3 wins.

There's 3 Oilers fans and 2 randoms. You didn't even get it right. LOLOL
Liquor isn’t an Oiler fan. Keep swinging though. Like I said you and another Oiler fan. Not sure why you took it down this sarcastic child route. I merely pointed out I respect your opinion but your defence that others voted it means shit.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

obviously you're not because you keep confusing it with "being real"

this isn't semantics, it is two completely separate words with two completely separate meanings that you're passing off as meaning the same thing.

and my god I've stated I don't care about you're opinion on the number of games, I'm annoyed that people think being flat out negative is the same as being realistic, it isn't, they are two very different things. I've stated this multiple times and your not getting it.

and now you're super defensive and stating that's not what you meant, saying that what you meant is that 3 games was your real answer...that doesn't make sense, were you planning on giving a fake answer and were then just gonna shock everyone with a real answer later on, but decided against it?

but whatever, negativity for negativity's sake is some peoples jam which is fine, but don't pass it off as something it isn't.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
and now you're super defensive and stating that's not what you meant, saying that what you meant is that 3 games was your real answer...that doesn't make sense, were you planning on giving a fake answer and were then just gonna shock everyone with a real answer later on, but decided against it?

but whatever, negativity for negativity's sake is some peoples jam which is fine, but don't pass it off as something it isn't.
No. reading is too hard for you, I guess.

3 is my answer. I'm not changing my answer.

Imagine being negative and being real... apparently both can't be true according to you.

You're literally whining for the sake of whining. LOLOLOL

Anyways, enjoy the ignore list.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad