Speculation: Predict the Oilers line up when everyone is heathy

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I like our line up right now . They are finding ways to win . Good teams do that even when they are not playing the best . Does Davidson draw back into the line up ? Who does he replace ? Hendricks ? Caggiula ? Does Puljujarvi who seems to be coming on get assigned to the AHL ? Does Nurse ?

Seems there are lots of question still . Strange for a team playing so well but nice as we enter a tough November .

My Prediction is . This is by mid season

Lucic McDavid Puljujarvi
Maroon RNH Draisaitl RNH double shifting in a checking role
Pouliot Caggiula Pitlick
Hendricks Letestu Slepyshev
Kassian .

Edit : Damn forgot Eberle . Going to be a tough call . I am probably way off but it fun to try and fit everyone in / nice to have depth for once in 10 years :handclap:

D

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Russell
Nurse Davidson
Benning

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
When everyone's Healthy?

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliot - Nuge - Cagiula
Maroon - Draisaitl - Puljujarv
Hendricks/Pitlick - Letestu - Kassian
Pitlck

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russel
Nurse - Davidson
Gryba

(Fayne on waivers to the AHL)

Talbot
Gustafsson

That Draisaitl line is too good together and too much of a hassle for other teams in favourable match ups to split up, imo

I have Cagiula coming back up and playing, but it's complete reasonable that he stays in AHL just because the performances and the depth.

Edit: I think I have a smaller roster then needed, but that's more because I just couldn't figure out exactly who fits where. I love Slepyshev's game, but he could just be the odd man out, maybe Pakarinen comes back and impacts the game, then you can't over look him either.

The Oilers have legit depth, it's ****ing great.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Modern day warrior mean mean stride, today's Matt Hendricks mean mean pride.

Hard to believe he'd be in this lineup anywhere.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I like our line up right now . They are finding ways to win . Good teams do that even when they are not playing the best . Does Davidson draw back into the line up ? Who does he replace ? Hendricks ? Caggiula ? Does Puljujarvi who seems to be coming on get assigned to the AHL ? Does Nurse ?

Seems there are lots of question still . Strange for a team playing so well but nice as we enter a tough November .

Lucic McDavid Puljujarvi
Pouliot Caggiula Pitlick
Kassian .

Edit : Damn forgot Eberle . Going to be a tough call . I am probably way off but it fun to try and fit everyone in / nice to have depth for once in 10 years :handclap:

D

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Russell
Nurse Davidson
Benning

Oh yeah, I forgot that we have some injuries lol. Well I'd have:

Lucic-Mcdavid-Caggiula
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
Maroon-Draisaitl-Kassian
Lander-Letestu-Pitlick

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russel
Nurse-Davidson

Talbot
Gustavsson

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I think Pakarinen, Slepy, and Pulju go to Bakersfield.
Pitlick stays.
Last spot goes to either Lander or Cagiula. Really comes down to how Lander plays between now and then and team needs.

As for the D, Fayne gets sent down and Gryba stays.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Pakarinen, Slepy, and Pulju go to Bakersfield.
Pitlick stays.
Last spot goes to either Lander or Cagiula. Really comes down to how Lander plays between now and then and team needs.

As for the D, Fayne gets sent down and Gryba stays.

Fayne is injured for a while from what I recall. It's Davidson vs. Gryba and the way Gryba is playing now, I'm not so sure that Davidson gets the nod over him when he comes back.

I think Cagguila sees some time in Bakersfield first to get back up to speed, we have no idea if he's even NHL quality at this point just based on a few nice games against weak preseason rosters. They need to send Slepy down as well, he needs to play somewhere. It should be in the NHL but they are going to give Pulju every opportunity to acclimate to the NHL. It's Hendricks vs. Lander IMO and I think Lander gets the nod because of his faceoff winning ability (which led directly to the GWG last night). Sadly, I don't think Hendricks has a role on this team anymore.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
WTF is this love for Caggiula?????

Like, we're speculating that some nobody will be on the first line when he returns?????? JFC.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lucic-Mcdavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl
Maroon-Caggiula-JP
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

Swedes
Sekera-Russel
Nurse-Davidson

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Fayne is injured for a while from what I recall. It's Davidson vs. Gryba and the way Gryba is playing now, I'm not so sure that Davidson gets the nod over him when he comes back.

I think Cagguila sees some time in Bakersfield first to get back up to speed, we have no idea if he's even NHL quality at this point just based on a few nice games against weak preseason rosters. They need to send Slepy down as well, he needs to play somewhere. It should be in the NHL but they are going to give Pulju every opportunity to acclimate to the NHL. It's Hendricks vs. Lander IMO and I think Lander gets the nod because of his faceoff winning ability (which led directly to the GWG last night). Sadly, I don't think Hendricks has a role on this team anymore.

This. I don't see any changes when everyone is back, at least not the way they're playing now. Nurse-Gryba is doing well as a 3rd pairing, no need to mess with that even if that means sitting Davidson for a little bit. Caggiula should be sent down, I'm not sure why everyone is pencilling him in based off a few pre-season games? He had a spot on the team perhaps but he is coming off injury now and should go to Bakersfield and get up to speed again. I don't see Hendricks drawing in either, but he's not a bad guy to have as your extra forward. If they're intent on keeping Pulju up then Slepy should be sent down as well, although he deserves to play.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lucic-Mcdavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl
Maroon-Caggiula-JP
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

Swedes
Sekera-Russel
Nurse-Davidson

Imo exactly this, but Lander in place of Slepyshev. Lander is good on the dot and we need him on the PK. He's been good 5 on 5 lately as well.

Hendricks is the 13th forward in that scenario, but imo we will try to trade him. Someone will take him I'm sure. He's very good.

Maybe we will get an injury or two by the time some guys return. I would love Slepy to make the team, as well as guys like Pakarinen and Pitlick.

Earlier I would have said that JP should go down but he's getting better and looks like he'll be even better by the time our injured guys come back.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

Lucic McDavid Puljujarvi
Pouliot Caggiula Pitlick
Kassian .

D

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Russell
Nurse Davidson
Benning
How you could have Kass sitting in the PB after last night's game is beyond me. We can't play with all of our shiny toys, Slep and Drake go down for playing time.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This. I don't see any changes when everyone is back, at least not the way they're playing now. Nurse-Gryba is doing well as a 3rd pairing, no need to mess with that even if that means sitting Davidson for a little bit. Caggiula should be sent down, I'm not sure why everyone is pencilling him in based off a few pre-season games? He had a spot on the team perhaps but he is coming off injury now and should go to Bakersfield and get up to speed again. I don't see Hendricks drawing in either, but he's not a bad guy to have as your extra forward. If they're intent on keeping Pulju up then Slepy should be sent down as well, although he deserves to play.

Caggiula would still have to prove himself in practice before we just toss him into a game. Also, if we put him in the lineup, we can go back to the old configuration at any point. Caggiula is ready to make the NHL. He will get his shot.

TMac said that part of making a good team is taking care of the individuals as well, and that's why there is a lot of appeal in having both RNH and Drai in the top six, which would help both players get more offense. Even though we are winning, I don't think anyone would say that our team would suffer from a couple changes, and concentrating talent on that 2nd line might actually help us. Drai definitely wants the chance to maximize his production. RNH wants to prove that he brings more than just defensive play. McLellan likes having centers on the wing.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
What I'd like to see:

Edit: missing Pouliot

Maroon - McDavid - Puli (lots of speed/skill with Maroon providing sandpaper)
Lucic - RNH - Drai (Big, physical, skilled guys with the ability to cycle the puck)
Pouliot - Cagguila - Eberle
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian (Energy line)

Lander, Pak

Klefbom - Larsson (big minute, shut down tandem)
Russell - Sekera (strong 2-way tandem)
Nurse - Davidson (soft minutes)

Gryba

Last edited:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

I think you're underrating Hendricks. When he's on his game, he's physical, scores timely goals, and is great on the PK. He can also take face offs, and we all know he's one of the better locker room leaders too. You have a point about Cagiula so it may come down to Lander vs. Hendricks, and if that's the case, I give the inside track to Hendricks. That's not to say Lander can't win the job, but he's going to have to do a lot (especially in the circle) to keep Hendricks in the press box.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
What I would love to see is.

Cagguila + Pul to the AHL

Pouliot - McDavid - Eberle (Up tempo, off the rush play)
Lucic - Draisaitl - Kassian (Big slow cyclers)
Maroon - Nuge - Slepy/Pitlick (Checking / cycling)
Hendo - Letestu - Pitlick / Slepy
Lander

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Davidson
Gryba

Talbot
Gust

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think caggiula likely goes down for a bit to get back up to speed to see how he does after injury. Hendricks comes in for pitlick and davidson in for gryba.

Pitlick started the year strong, but he's he only forward on the team who doesn't do any special teams. I think they will want Hendricks in there for his pk. I don't know if Hendricks is going to be an everyday guy though. I doubt lander comes out right now. He's killing it on the top pk unit and is 60% on the draws. Far and away the best on the team.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Lucic-McDavid-Ederle
Pouliot-RNH-Kassian
Maroon-Draisaitl-JP*
Hendricks*-Letestu-Lander*

*JP and Slepyshev share this spot, I suspect JP will gas a little as the season wears on. AHL swap for roster spot.
*Hendricks and Pitlick share this spot, Hendricks gone at TDD. Pitlick gets this spot permanent next season
*Lander and Pak share this spot, maybe have to do some paper transactions to free up roster spots
*Caggiula to the AHL until a spot opens up or JP/Sleppy struggle

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Davidson
Gryba

Fayne waived
Benning to AHL

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I would keep lines just how they are with Hendriks in for Lander Caggiula and Slepy to minors.Puljujarvi is starting to show why he was drafted 4th overall

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I mean, everything depends on the record. Suppose we're in late Nov. and this lineup is still winning at least 2/3rds of its games in regulation. At that point there are probably ZERO lineup changes, NHL coaches almost never make big changes to a super successful lineup. There are many reasons for this, but one is morale and chemistry: if the 4th liners have 100% bought in and are playing hard, responsible hockey, it sends the wrong message to swap them out simply because some other guy's back from injury.

But of course that's a bit of a pipe-dream, since the Oilers can be reasonably expected to settle down a bit and start losing a few games here and there.

DiscoKitten

Oct 27, 2016
Alberta
Why do some many people have Puljujarvi in the line up long term? This kid needs more development time for sure. He's has tons of potentional but his positioning needs work and lots of times the play dies on his stick. He's going to be good, but long term a year or two in the minors will go a long way.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
People seem to be getting to ahead of themselves.

Lucic-Mcdavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Nuge-Kassian
Maroon-Drai-Pakarinen
Hendo-Letestu-Pitbull

This fan base is to used to having youth in the lineup. Even if Pulju is ready (which I think he is) it doesn't hurt his development to play in the NHL and it WILL help the cap down the road to have one more year to work with. Veterans like Hendo and Pakarinen help on the PK and forecheck. Short memory around here. Playing Drai the whole year on the third line helps with cap management as well and if the team keeps winning he should accept his role.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm coming around on jp sticking around.

I know things won't change while we're winning but I'd like to mix things up.

Lucic Mcdavid Jp/slepy
Pouliot Rnh Eberle
Maroon Drai kassian
Hendricks letestu pitlick
Pak

Klefbom larsson
Sekera russel
Nurse Davidson
Gryba

Talbot

Jp can start learning to play with mcdavid, and if he shows he needs more sheltering he can swap with any other right winger or go down for caguilla.

I just really think eberle and nuge could use each other right now. Eberle doesn't use his abilities like he used to, and a grinder could do that job just as easily, and nuge needs an offensive catylist.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm coming around on jp sticking around.

I know things won't change while we're winning but I'd like to mix things up.

Lucic Mcdavid Jp
Pouliot Rnh Eberle
Maroon Drai Slepy
Hendricks letestu pitlick
Pak

Klefbom larsson
Sekera russel
Nurse Davidson
Gryba

Talbot

Jp can start learning to play with mcdavid, and if he shows he needs more sheltering he can swap with any other right winger or go down for caguilla.

I just really think eberle and nuge could use each other right now. Eberle doesn't use his abilities like he used to, and a grinder could do that job just as easily, and nuge needs an offensive catylist.

You're missing Kassian in the lineup.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Lucic-Mcdavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Nuge-Kassian
Maroon-Drai-Pujajarvi
Lander-Letestu-Pitlyck

Klefbom larsson
Sekera russel
Nurse Gryba
Davidson

How can you change these lines right now? Dont fix what ain't broken! I like the 2nd line as a shutdown line so I dont think Drai should go there, i'd keep Kassian on the 2nd.
Caggiula should spend some time in the minors. Lander is the obvious guy to come out but man he's been valuable when you need that Faceoff Win! Gyrba's been playing great and I dont like the Nurse - Davidson, so I think Davidson if the #7 guy who should have to wait for his opportunity. One thing I can say for sure, if Gyrba gets sent down, he's gone! You'll see him in Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad