Proposal: Predict the flames first trade this offseason

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As far as I know, no official mention has ever been made regarding Barkov and military requirement. I think, but I could be wrong, that it's an issue which originated from boards and has remained solely on boards. For all we know, Barkov might be NHL-ready next year, right?

Maybe there are sources out there which I can't find which say otherwise.

It is general knowledge that the Finnish government has a mandatory military service requirement. The issue definitely wasn't a fabrication of these boards.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It is general knowledge that the Finnish government has a mandatory military service requirement. The issue definitely wasn't a fabrication of these boards.

Yeah, sorry, that's not really what I meant. I just meant that it is possible that the whole thing has been fully worked out by the player and the Finnish government, and it's already a non-issue. There has been no indication from the player, at least as far as I know, that it's going to become an issue.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have never seen a statement from Barkov saying he won't be in the NHL next year, I saw one saying he didn't know where he would be playing though. So obviously there is some chance.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I believe he has a year of military service he has to do before he can com over which is why I said he wouldn't come over this year.

The minimum is six months actually and pro athletes don't have to spend all that time in service. Mikko Koivu did his service a few years ago in one off-season, he even played in the World champs and didn't miss Wild's training camp. BTW, Olli Jokinen actually got an exemption from service for "health reasons". :laugh:

Also, Barkov has a Russian dual citizenship which may play a part as well. Basically if he wants to come over to NA next season he can do so with no ramifications.

First round bust

May 21, 2013
Calgary
The minimum is six months actually and pro athletes don't have to spend all that time in service. Mikko Koivu did his service a few years ago in one off-season, he even played in the World champs and didn't miss Wild's training camp. BTW, Olli Jokinen actually got an exemption from service for "health reasons". :laugh:

Also, Barkov has a Russian dual citizenship which may play a part as well. Basically if he wants to come over to NA next season he can do so with no ramifications.

I would love it if we walk away with barkov!!

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I'll change my original prediction (Tangs for Jones + 2nd) to CBJ 5th for Corban Knights rights.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm still guessing that our first move of the off-season will occur at the draft in the first round. We will see a player on the board who our scouts 'must have,' and we'll ship Tanguay and a pick for whatever pick that is. Not sure whether this will get us from 6 to <6 or from, say, 22 to the mid teens.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm still guessing that our first move of the off-season will occur at the draft in the first round. We will see a player on the board who our scouts 'must have,' and we'll ship Tanguay and a pick for whatever pick that is. Not sure whether this will get us from 6 to <6 or from, say, 22 to the mid teens.

I see us moving that 22nd Pick with Tanguay as well, probably to try and land Domi.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I envision a trade of pick #22 to Montreal for 34 & 36. Then drafting a defenseman at #28 (Morrissey, Bowey, etc.), and then Fucale & Petan with those picks. They've got the stud at #6. They've got the "safe guy" today in Knight. Might as well swing for the fences.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I see us moving that 22nd Pick with Tanguay as well, probably to try and land Domi.

Domi or Horvat are two guys I'm thinking of, yeah.

I envision a trade of pick #22 to Montreal for 34 & 36. Then drafting a defenseman at #28 (Morrissey, Bowey, etc.), and then Fucale & Petan with those picks. They've got the stud at #6. They've got the "safe guy" today in Knight. Might as well swing for the fences.

Trading down's certainly another way to go. I just think Tanguay needs to go, and moving up is the best way to use him.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

I'd be on board with this.

If we also trade Tanguay or Cammalleri for a top-40 pick, and select a 'safe' player like Compher or Heatherington, then that would qualify as a dream draft for me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Nichushkin drops a little, say to the 10-15 range, I wonder if it would be possible to move Tanguay and the two other picks for that pick and a second.

Can you imagine Monahan, Nichushkin and a second-rounder?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If Nichushkin drops a little, say to the 10-15 range, I wonder if it would be possible to move Tanguay and the two other picks for that pick and a second.

That would be more than a bit but, if it happens I imagine a TON of playoff teams would be in a mad scramble to move up.

TylerSVT*

He wont drop, i bet he doesn't last past Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad