Predict the Draft

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
So including what teams move up and down lets see peoples opinions

1Colorado Avalanche: Nate Mackinnion
Colorado has made it obvious they are taking him. And if they are shopping it i think it is very unlikely any team is willing to package what they want. I think this signals the end of Statnsy whether he gets bought out or traded. i would awesome traded. Going forward with Duchene-Mack-ROR at center, they are getting alot better.

TRADE Florida trades 2nd overall to Nashville for 4th overall, 64 overall and 2014 2nd pick

2Nashville Predators: Seth Jones
Dave Poile loves his defence and bringing in Seth Jones to play alongside Weber and with Josi, Ellis and Blum they get a great defence core. Trotz plays a defence first system and a player like Jones who plays a great two-way game is prefect.

3Tampa Bay Lightning: Alex Barkov
With the buyout of Vinny i think they look at bringing in some who can play a defence kinda game and thats what Barkov brings. Barkov wont play a huge defence game but he isnt horrible and he can use his size really well.

4Florida Panthers: Jonathon Droiun
The reason Florida moves down is because they think Barkov goes to Tampa. They get Drouin who plays along side Huberdeau for the forseeable future. This wont turn there franchise around but this is a step in the right direction. With adding Drouin to Gudbranson, Kulikov and Huberdeau they got a decent future.

5Carolina Hurricanes:Rasmus Ristolainen
Carolina is stocked on offence and with a decent defence core adding a smart player who does everything right to go along with Staals, Skinner and now Semin this is the type of player they need. A smart defender who can help keep there defence safe.

6Calgary Flames: Sean Monahan
Although his skating lacks abit he should be a very good two way center. With a rebuilding calgary who wont admit it, i dont think this pick has much value to them. More than likely this pick is will be the lowest they draft for awhile. Although i like Backlund and Baertschi, Monahan helps but isnt a gamebacker.

TRADE Edmonton trades 7th overall and Sam Gagner to Philadelphia for Braydon Coburn, 11th overall and 41st overall.

7Philadelphia Flyers(from Edmonton Oilers):Darnell Nurse
Philadelphia is still a great team and will more than likely fight for division lead next year but this helps out with salary.There defence still is lacking but they have some problems. Nurse is a strong defender who has strong roots on Philadelphia and is a perfect Flyer. Schenn and Nurse will be a perfect pair of flyers for along time.

8Buffalo Sabres:Valeri Nichuskin
the Sabres jump on the oppurtunity on grabbing Nichukin and run. Having Grigs and Nichuskin to go along with Hodgson helps turn them around alittle bit. Sabres try to fight for a spot next year but will fail out and we see Miller moved. This team has fallen from the Drury and Breire days but drafting a skilled powerforward is what they need.

9New Jersey Devils:Elias Lindholm
Lindholm is a very good forward and has the skill to always be in the right spot at the right time. The Devils are just not that good anymore but with only the likes Kovalchuk and Zajac with depth around them they need more skilled forwards and this is one.

10Dallas Stars:Nikita Zadorov
Zadorov is a big defender. With Zadorov they get a huge piece to play alongside Oleksiak. The issue i see with Dallas is mainly the fact that the D-core is missing some key pieces. Offence isnt an issue with players like Benn and Erikson but they need to add depth in every position and grabing Zadorov is perfect to help along a youth movement.

TRADE: Edmonton Oilers trade 11th overall and Shawn Horcoff to Toronto for 21st overall, Carl Gunnarson and Matt Finn.

11Toronto Maple Leafs(from Edmonton Oilers; from Philadelphia Flyers):Max Domi
Domi not only brings the sentimental value to Toronto but a very skilled forward. he doesnt shy away from contact and brings a top forward prospect. with the depth on d we have and now with the youth in net, we focus our sights on blue chips and that starts with Domi.

12Phoenix Coyotes : Bo Horvat.
Horvat is a complete player. Someone who does not give up the defence side of his game for points and that screams Phoenix. They might not have the best place to play and with rumors of them leaving Phoenix, they still grab a top 3 forward.

13Winnipeg Jets:Anthony Mantha
Winnipeg needs a top scorer and Mantha brings that. Voted as the best pure scorer in the draft, even over Mack and Drouin, this fills the need of Winnipeg. They need a pure goal scorer and matching him with Schieffle brings a decent forward core.

14Columbus Blue Jackets:Samuel Morin
Morin is an above average stay at home defender. The ajckets came close to the post-season but with no real stars they need to hope the depth and main group can get better. If not for bobrovsky this team finish with a lottery pick. They need to add great pieces this draft and Morin starts it off early.

15New York Islanders:Ryan Pulock
The Islanders are a team that on paper is very decent. Past Tavares and Moulson you got very average replaceable players.There defence is very average. they got big guys but behind Lubo Vishnovsky they have very little offence. Pulock brings in a perfect fit for them. A player who can get the puck up to Tavares and use his shot from the point on the powerplay. In my opinion he should go higher, but due to his average skating he drops alittle.

16Buffalo Sabres (from Minnesota):Zach Fucale
A pick that surprise many. Buffalo finds there replacement for Miller. Knowing that they may have Problems for the next few years they draft a goalie now. Fucale will become a very good goalie, the question with goalies is, he will become a number 1. but to what extent. Will he be a Ryan Miller or a Dwyane Roloson #1

17Ottawa Senators:Hunter Shinkaruk
Ottawa looks at trading there pick but when Shinkaruk doesnt get drafted they jump on him. Shinkaruk is a very talented offensive player. Although he doesnt fight his way to the net or throw his small body around he has the creativity to play with players like Zibanejad and Silfverberg. Ottawa has great depth as seen this year and adding a top skill like Shinkaruk has them watering at the mouth

18Detroit Red Wings:Alex Wennberg
Wennberg screams Detroit. He reminds me so much of a less skilled Datsyuk. He has top end speed, great hands can play any forward position and can even kill penalties. This is the type of player Detroit takes. After adding some size and playing in Sweden for a year or two and a year in the nhl i think we hear his name again, jsut at the allstar game.

19Columbus Blue Jackets (from NY Rangers)Curtis Lazar
With Morin and Lazar the Blue Jacket are taking a step in the right direction. with Kakelianin(sp?) being the gm for his first draft he puts his name on the team with hard working players. Lazar i feel makes the jump right away to the NHL and thats why he gets picked up by the Jackets.

20San Jose Sharks :Kerby Rychel
Rychel is a weird player to me. He does most things good, lacks some defence skill but due to him playing a somewhat power game and his good offence skill, i think he ends up as a secondary scoring option and one that doesnt take along time to hit the NHL. with San Jose paying alot of money in there forwards, one cant help but think this draft and especially Rychel helps them move out some of there overpaid players

21Edmonton Oilers (from Toronto Maple Leafs):Josh Morrisey
After bringing in Gunnarson,Coburn and Finn with Smid,Peckham and Schultz grabbing Morrisey gives them a very good d-core. I think of Morrisey as a Schultz type player. Will lose battles alot but has a very great offensive upside. With forwards like Hall and Eberle and Nuge and Yakupov, i could keep going, the need for a defender with skill would be the biggest concern

22Calgary Flames (from St. Louis):Mirco Mueller
Quite possibly the most underrated player in the draft, i think he becomes one of the best players take. He can slows breakouts down and jsut control the whole game. what he lacks in skill, although is far from bad but is very average skilled, he makes up for it in making the perfect play. He is always one thought ahead and the Flames need players with his skill. Still a couple years away in my opinion but its going in the right direction.

23Washington Capitals:Robert Hagg
Hagg is a perfect fit for the Caps. Although they could trade down to get him but they dont and take him now. Hagg is a very good offsive defender but his defence lacks. He is very good with the puck and has a real quality shot but he once he gets the d game going he will fit perfect beside Mike Green on the powerplay

24Vancouver Canucks:Adam Erne
Vancouver is the biggest confusing pick. They dont lack in many catogories but for some reason just couldnt put it together. Thats why the draft Erne imho. He has speed to kill and can easily make even the best defender look bad on the most nights with his speed and goes to the net. May not be a top line player but i think he is a perfect 3rd line. I would compare him to Frattin.

25Montreal Canadiens:Laurent Dauphin
Montreal takes another Quebec player and he fits perfect. He is small and undersized, but has talent and creativity to make plays. Although he gets pushed off the puck easy once he fills out his size, i think he will become a really good number 2 center to play behind galchenyuk adn with Leblanc in the forward core

26Anaheim Ducks:Madison Bowie
Anaheim is another team that confuses me. Looking at there roster you dont think they are a top cup contender but they are a very good team depth wise.With no real standouts prospect wise i feel like they take Bowie on the main reason of adding to Fowler and Sbisa but not having any real depth on D.

27Columbus Blue Jackets (from Los Angeles):Morgan Klimchuk
Klimchuk finishes a perfect first round for CBJ. Klimchuk may take 2-3 years beforee hitting the NHL but he is a very skilled forward. he may lack alittle on the defensive end but his creativity with the puck is what will help a team like CBJ still looking for a true identity.

TRADE Calgary trades Mike Camalleri and 28th overall to Toronto for Mikhail Grabovski, 2014 1st and Korbinian Holzer

28Toronto Maple Leafs(from Calgary Flames; from Pittsburgh):Jacob De-Le Rose
De-Le Rose is a off the board pick, but the probablity of him making the NHL is very high in my opinion. It will take 3-4 maybe even 5 years but he will one day. He plays a very smart game and does alot of things right. His offence lacks but he is a forward who jsut will not quit and it is a risky pick. If he can turn his offence on he ends up being a top 6 forward. If not he becomes a very similar player to Komorov but with alittle more offence. He is a determined player who just wont quit on plays.

29Dallas Stars (from Boston):Frederik Gauthier
The issue most see with Gauthier is his lack of consistency but his skating and skill is top end. He lacks confidence at times and doesnt use his skill and thats a knock on him. If he learns his consistency he will be a top 6 forward but to push himself higher he needs to start using his body more. He doesnt hit or use his size and thats the real issue in him making it to the nhl or not.

30Chicago Blackhawks:Valentin Zyckov
The thing that worries me about Zyckov is his skating. He is barely average skating but he is very strong and has a decent offence upside. if he works on his skating he can become a Stalberg type player. if not, i dont think he makes it to the NHL. Thats the main issue with him.

Now you dont have to go really in depht but lets see how many you can get right

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I don't wanna go in depth here, just wanted to say that I think your top 4 doesn't go down like that at all... Nashville and Barkov are a perfect fit (I wish Toronto could get him some how), their forward could look a lot better in a few years if it was something like:

Forsberg - Barkov - XXXXXX
Fisher? - Wilson - XXXXXX

Edit: Meaning that I don't think Nashville would give the assets to move up to #2 to pick a Dman so I think they stay at 4 and take Barkov...

I'm hoping for something unexpected to happen this draft... Drouin going #1 overall would be intense even though I don't think he's the best player, haha

Should be 1. Mackinnon, 2. Jones, 3. Drouin, 4. Barkov although I think the best fit would be if Jones and Drouin switch.

leafspring*

Thats alot of nice work bro. bored or what.

1 MacKinnon
2 Drouin
3 Jones
4 Nichushkin
5 Monahan
6 Barkov
7 Nurse
8 Lindholm
9 Fucale
10 Zadorov
11 Domi
12 Shinkaruk
13 Horvat
14 Morrissey
15 Wennberg
16 Ristolainen
17 Pulock
18 Gautier
19 Rychel
20 Klimchuk
21 Lazar
22 Mantha
23 Zykov
24 Burakovsky
25 Santini
26 Theodore
27 Hagg
28 PETAN
29 Erne
30 Yakimov

Well thats my best crack at it and i think Petan is going to be a steal at 28.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad