Line Combos: Predict Next Year's Lineup

swint

Nov 16, 2014
Will the team be gutted? If so, what'll it look like?

JVR - Kadri - ?

? - Nylander - ?

Komarov - Holland - Panik

Leivo - Carrick - Clarkson

Rielly - Polak

Gardiner - Robidas

Percy - Granberg

Bernier

?

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Will the team be gutted? If so, what'll it look like?

JVR - Kadri - ?

? - Nylander - ?

Komarov - Holland - Panik

Leivo - Carrick - Clarkson

Rielly - Polak

Gardiner - Robidas

Percy - Granberg

Bernier

?

Hartikainen is missing. He said in an interview that he is signing with the Leafs.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
If Phaneuf and Kessel are moved there are going to be NHL players coming back for cap purposes. It's impossible to forecast next years lineup at this time.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I think Harty would be a solid 4th line addition to the Leafs. Get Barb to work on his skating and he should be just fine.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
JVR Kadri Lupul
Leivo Eichel Panik
Komarov Holland Nylander
Brown Carrick Clarkson

Rielly-Jones
Gardiner-Polak
Percy-Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Not counting players we get in trades, UFA signings, etc. Just basing this off of what we have now and what I think will be gone. (Going to include Strome though since I could see us drafting him):

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Panik-Holland-Nylander
Komarov-Strome-Brown
Leivo-Carrick-Clarkson

Rielly-Polak
Gardiner-Granberg
Percy-Robidas

Looks pretty awful, would be good for a top 3 pick.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think Lupul and JVR get traded. Lupul because he's not in the long-term plans, I think he'll be dealt for a 2nd.

JVR's contract is insane, and by the time the Leafs are "competing" he'll be due for re-signing at it'll be a big jump.

They'll never get better value for him then before this deadline (or possibly next deadline).

rebuilding is like being pregnant. You either are or you aren't. You can't be halfway pregnant.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Kadri will be here because he's got low value relative to his worth. The Leafs value him more than other teams will.

Rielly is a key part of the future.

Beyond that, I think a lot of people will be gone.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not counting players we get in trades, UFA signings, etc. Just basing this off of what we have now and what I think will be gone. (Going to include Strome though since I could see us drafting him):

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Panik-Holland-Nylander
Komarov-Strome-Brown
Leivo-Carrick-Clarkson

Rielly-Polak
Gardiner-Granberg
Percy-Robidas

Looks pretty awful, would be good for a top 3 pick.

I don't think Leafs will rush draft picks based on the patient rebuild Shanahan is preaching.

Outside of us landing McDavid but even then I think we'd keep him in the minors to develop.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hartikainen is missing. He said in an interview that he is signing with the Leafs.

Do you have a link to that, or is it a joke? I'd welcome him back so we get some competition to pair with Devane for the 4LW spot since Broll was traded and Ross hopefully not being resigned for next year (or traded). Bournival could also work there if we acquire him, but that's not a sure bet. I'd also only want him for a certain price. Hartikainen at could also be a guy that could be Kontiola turning out proper, and maybe we can flip him next year as next years batch of rentals if we don't see him being a fit here long term (or we like Devane more).

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I don't think Leafs will rush draft picks based on the patient rebuild Shanahan is preaching.

Outside of us landing McDavid but even then I think we'd keep him in the minors to develop.

Admittady I don't know a whole lot about the upcoming draftees but Strome is a big guy, 6'2, he has the size for the NHL and is a smart player as well. I feel like it's possible he could end up on the opening day roster.

Someone like Marner though, I don't know, he's much smaller, probably wouldn't be ready.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
JVR Kadri Lupul
Leivo Eichel Panik
Komarov Holland Nylander
Brown Carrick Clarkson

Rielly-Jones
Gardiner-Polak
Percy-Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

How does this happen? We'd have to finish second last for this to happen. If we win the lottery, we're taking McDavid 100%

mustangbangs

Apr 13, 2014
Hatd to predict a roster with kessel and phaneuf moved because more then likely some NHL assets will be part of the return do nylander brown and this year top draft choice might be in the minors or junior league.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
The lines can't really be predicted, so I'll just say what I'd like to see given that we trade all our UFAs, Phaneuf, Kessel, Bozak and Lupul (i.e. everyone who management has ok'd trading)

JVR-Kadri-?
?-Komarov-Nylander
Leivo-Holland-?
Panik-Gauthier-Clarkson
Rielly-Polak
Gardiner-?
Percy-Robidas
Bernier
?

The question marks could be cap dumps we get from trades, NHL ready prospects from those trades or filler free agents. With the FAs, Leafs should be careful not to go for big names (Jagr, Williams, Martin) that could endanger a top 3 pick. The goal for the season is to develop and get a franchise defenseman in the top 3 (Chychrun or Day).

To explain some of my less conventional choices for lines, I want to begin developing chemistry among our players with the roles and linemates they'll have in 2-4 years. Leivo-Holland-Brown will be great secondary scoring once Brown is NHL ready. I expect Dylan Strome to center Nylander, and Komarov is the center who plays in a style most similar to Strome. Panik-Gauthier-Clarkson is a checking line with offensive upside. The only time Clarkson has looked decent was on a Komarov-Santorelli-Clarkson checking line. Panik could fit into either a checking line or a secondary scoring line, but we've got plenty of secondary scorers and not many good checkers so he goes on the latter.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Did u just say we would send McDavid back to junior? Lol he won't be going back at all. That's a ridiculous statement.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
im not expecting much next season, its hard to predict the line-up because we don't know which players will be traded and for who.

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
C. Stewart-Holland-Leivo
Komarov-Nylander-Brown
Panik-Carrick-Biggs/Frattin

Rielly-Franson
Gardiner-Polak
Percy-Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

Phaneuf, Bozak and Lupul trades will prob bring in a young roster player or two who can be subbed in for whichever of the prospects i included that are not ready yet. This is a young, talented rebuilding roster.

lampshade*

Wheres Kessel on all these lineups? Shipping him out is not gonna be as easy as many of you think. Gonna be stuck next year with a 10m secondary player.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Nylander - Kadri - Brown
XXXXXX - XXXXXX - Panik
Komorov - Holland - Clarkson
Leivo - XXXXXX - Frattin

Rielly - XXXXXX
Gardiner - XXXXXX
Percy - Granberg

With this roster, we're trading: Franson, Polak, Robidas, Santorelli, Winnik, Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, JVR... so we would definitely be getting some good players in return.

I would probably try and keep: Lupul, Phaneuf, and Robidas. Re-sign Winnik and Santorelli in the off-season. Then we're good to go IMO.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Do you have a link to that, or is it a joke? I'd welcome him back so we get some competition to pair with Devane for the 4LW spot since Broll was traded and Ross hopefully not being resigned for next year (or traded). Bournival could also work there if we acquire him, but that's not a sure bet. I'd also only want him for a certain price. Hartikainen at could also be a guy that could be Kontiola turning out proper, and maybe we can flip him next year as next years batch of rentals if we don't see him being a fit here long term (or we like Devane more).

http://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattelu/teemu-hartikainen-hyvä-että-en-pelaa-edmontonissa/162037

Had to heal ankle injury this year and agreed to start talks with Toronto at the end of the season. Seems to be motivated.

http://ufahockey.ru/teemu-hartikajnen-protiv-barysa-bez-viny-vinovatye/

Also here is the analysis from one of his games (against good team). His Corsi-Fenwick are pretty good (at least for KHL). Author of this article states that no active Leaf has better Corsi)))

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
http://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattelu/teemu-hartikainen-hyvä-että-en-pelaa-edmontonissa/162037

Had to heal ankle injury this year and agreed to start talks with Toronto at the end of the season. Seems to be motivated.

http://ufahockey.ru/teemu-hartikajnen-protiv-barysa-bez-viny-vinovatye/

Also here is the analysis from one of his games (against good team). His Corsi-Fenwick are pretty good (at least for KHL). Author of this article states that no active Leaf has better Corsi)))

I read the first article and it's legit. Alright, I'd easily take him back on a one year deal. Let him compete with Devane, Frattin, Kozun and whomever else for those bottom 6 spots. It's almost like Kontiola 2.0, and we have another shot for turning out right. I think he'd really bring everything he's got, and that's just what we need. If he becomes another Panik, we struck some more gold, and just added another valuable piece for a rebuild for free (and only had to send an overpriced UFA for him and a contract dump that is no longer here).

Komarov-McKegg-Clarkson
Hartikainen/Devane-Carrick-Frattin/Kozun
Devane or Hartikainen/Frattin or Kozun

Not too bad for a bottom 6.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
I read the first article and it's legit. Alright, I'd easily take him back on a one year deal. Let him compete with Devane, Frattin, Kozun and whomever else for those bottom 6 spots. It's almost like Kontiola 2.0, and we have another shot for turning out right. I think he'd really bring everything he's got, and that's just what we need. If he becomes another Panik, we struck some more gold, and just added another valuable piece for a rebuild for free (and only had to send an overpriced UFA for him and a contract dump that is no longer here).

Komarov-McKegg-Clarkson
Hartikainen/Devane-Carrick-Frattin/Kozun
Devane or Hartikainen/Frattin or Kozun

Not too bad for a bottom 6.

Harty is top-6 player for a contender in the KHL. I'd say he is either a bust or top-6 player in the NHL. He is exactly that big mean winger the Leafs lack, he is serious dude, not little boy like Frattin or Kozun.

WHorse

Jan 24, 2012
Gone at deadline
- Santorelli, Winnik, Booth, Franson, Holzer
- JVR, Bozak, Polak

Offseason trades
- Phaneuf, Lupul, Kessel

Beleskey -- Kadri -- Stewart/Fehr
Komarov -- Holland/C.Smith -- Panik
Leivo -- C.Smith/Holland -- Clarkson
Devane -- Carrick/McKegg -- Biggs
X:Kozun

Gardiner -- Robidas
Rielly -- Granberg
Percy -- ????????

Bernier
Gibson

That's a proper bottom feeder team, with a few nice pieces that teams may want leading to the next trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad