Confirmed with Link: Predators sign RW Markus Nurmi [1-year]

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
His reach is a big part of his game. He is not horrible at anything really, though. Not a bad player. Was close to making the olympic team. At worst will be a good AHL scorer.

Reactions: Ippenator

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Was really good in Liiga playoffs. Big, rangy guy with good hands. Uses his range and hands to protect the puck and pull of some dangles. I was surprised when Sens didn't sign him, since I though at the time he had some NHL potential.

Reactions: Henkka and mattihp

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The guy might be nothing, could play half a season in the AHL and head back... But it's a nice turn of events that we even signed him, feels like Chicago, San Jose, Edmonton and a few others are always getting these kind of players to come over but the Preds are one of the teams that rarely if ever find a Euro free agent to sign. Free players is usually not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Nothing like the signing of an obscure young talent from a foreign league with good numbers and and 2 or 3 comments about his skills to spark your optimism. Like the young backup QB when the starter sucks, he's popular until he's not.

Hope he makes the team and scores 20 goals. However, it's more likely there will be a small press release 3 years from now stating the once promising Nurmi went back to Finland to play for the yadayadayada's.

I'll hold off on the jersey for now.

Reactions: Byrddog

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Nothing like the signing of an obscure young talent from a foreign league with good numbers and and 2 or 3 comments about his skills to spark your optimism. Like the young backup QB when the starter sucks, he's popular until he's not.

Hope he makes the team and scores 20 goals. However, it's more likely there will be a small press release 3 years from now stating the once promising Nurmi went back to Finland to play for the yadayadayada's.

He's a well known commodity though. Almost played in the olympics.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Sign ‘em up! Preds need help; the more to choose from the better. Some scout somewhere likes him. Poile just doesn’t indiscriminately sign players.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
The guy might be nothing, could play half a season in the AHL and head back... But it's a nice turn of events that we even signed him, feels like Chicago, San Jose, Edmonton and a few others are always getting these kind of players to come over but the Preds are one of the teams that rarlt if ever find a Euro free agent to sign. Free players is usually not a bad thing.

I'd like for us to become the hub for emerging Swiss, German and Austrian Free agents

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What could be available from Nashville via trade, if Detroit will send LD Eemil Viro to Preds ?

He is the best buddy for Pärssinen and Nurmi. Knows how to play behind them. They could have this Turku-trio together.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I think the Preds should get helmets like the ones in the photo, all gold and navy.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Maybe we can actually put together a decent defensive 4th line
I wouldn't mind some green 4th line with skill.

Nurmi, Parssinen, Afanasyev, all could and should be pushing for playing time and they all have good size too. I don't mind rolling green kids out on the 4th line to get them used to NHL speed, it seemed to work for Tomasino. He got far better as the season went on.

Reactions: Gh24

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Afanasyev had a very good training camp last year; better than Tomasino or Tolvanen. But it seems he was penciled in for a year in the AHL and the T guys for Preds. This was an ok plan for last year. I know his AHL year was less than spectacular but he is a very good player and should get a chance up in the NHL. He could be an answer to secondary scoring.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Afanasyev had a very good training camp last year; better than Tomasino or Tolvanen. But it seems he was penciled in for a year in the AHL and the T guys for Preds. This was an ok plan for last year. I know his AHL year was less than spectacular but he is a very good player and should get a chance up in the NHL. He could be an answer to secondary scoring.
I think that had a lot to do with him needing to adjust to the NA game, and NA ice.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think that had a lot to do with him needing to adjust to the NA game, and NA ice.
Could be, although he did spent two years in NA before his draft. I think his relatively low point totals are due to the fact that he spent (at least the majority of the year) in the bottom-six of the Admirals. Most of his points came on the PP, where he was utilized properly.

Even though he has size, he's not a bottom-sixer, although, trigg, I see your point about bringing him in as a 4th liner like we did with Tomasino.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Could be, although he did spent two years in NA before his draft. I think his relatively low point totals are due to the fact that he spent (at least the majority of the year) in the bottom-six of the Admirals. Most of his points came on the PP, where he was utilized properly.

Even though he has size, he's not a bottom-sixer, although, trigg, I see your point about bringing him in as a 4th liner like we did with Tomasino.
yeah, I don't think many NHL teams use an old school 4th line anymore, it's more of a "controlled minutes" line now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad