Confirmed with Link: Predators Sign Michael McCarron to One-Year, Two-Way Contract

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Seems reasonable. Sounds like he played well for the Ads, and he was in the bubble so they got some little time to watch him this summer. As a cheap spare forward with size, could be the sort of filler the team takes a look at for a roster spot in the coming season.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
McCarron played in 27 games with 10 goals, 3 assists and 50 PIMs for the Admirals.

He played like a power forward. He was better than Hugh Jessiman.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Does he play on the penalty kill? Is he comparable to Watson? Is he a potential replacement for Watson? Is Watson as done as he looked last year? I’m really not familiar with this player.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Does he play on the penalty kill? Is he comparable to Watson? Is he a potential replacement for Watson? Is Watson as done as he looked last year? I’m really not familiar with this player.

Does Watson bull his way to the goal with the puck? In the AHL, Watson averaged 0.31 goals per game in the AHL. In the NHL, he averages about 0.12 GPG.

Last year, Watson averaged 0.11 GPG. The previous 2 seasons, he had 0.19 GPG and 0.18 GPG, so he is trending down at 28 years old.

McCarron had 0.37 goals per game for Milwaukee and 0.21 goals per game for other AHL teams. He has 2 goals in 69 games for Montreal for 0.03 GPG.
McCarron is playing much better in Milwaukee than he has before. For last season overall, he had 15 goals in 56 games for 0.27 GPG.

I think McCarron is a much better skater. I did see him kill a few penalties. He is very effective in the neutral zone offensively and defensively.

Keep in mind that he switched teams and systems mid-season and was still a very good AHL player. He is 25 years old.

Montreal was a bad team 2 of the 3 seasons when he played for them. That may be why his NHL scoring is so low.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Does Watson bull his way to the goal with the puck? In the AHL, Watson averaged 0.31 goals per game in the AHL. In the NHL, he averages about 0.12 GPG.

Last year, Watson averaged 0.11 GPG. The previous 2 seasons, he had 0.19 GPG and 0.18 GPG, so he is trending down at 28 years old.

McCarron had 0.37 goals per game for Milwaukee and 0.21 goals per game for other AHL teams. He has 2 goals in 69 games for Montreal for 0.03 GPG.
McCarron is playing much better in Milwaukee than he has before. For last season overall, he had 15 goals in 56 games for 0.27 GPG.

I think McCarron is a much better skater. I did see him kill a few penalties. He is very effective in the neutral zone offensively and defensively.

Keep in mind that he switched teams and systems mid-season and was still a very good AHL player. He is 25 years old.

Montreal was a bad team 2 of the 3 seasons when he played for them. That may be why his NHL scoring is so low.
Thanks, not too promising. Guess he’s more like insurance then.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think McCarron would have to be trying to play his way into basically Blackwell's spot as the 13th forward to begin with. Much more size, not the same energy. Then he'd have to find a way to show something in whatever icetime he got in that role to see if he could bump a 4th liner longer term. Sort of like how Tinordi unexpectedly ended up on our bottom pair.

Of course, in a normal year that also assumes they'd rather have an essentially developed player like Blackwell or McCarron in that 13th F role, and not want to sit prospects in the pressbox, opting to let them play more in Milwaukee instead. That could be different this year if there is no AHL. So a prospect like Pitlick, say, might have a better chance of staying around in that scenario over the more usual veteran minor leaguer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad