Predators hockey- the anti-Thrashers

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
You know, as a former (suffering) Thrasher fan, it is interesting when you think about it- the Predators are basically the exact opposite of the Thrashers. The Thrashers never had a problem scoring goals, but almost always were near the bottom of the league in goals and shots against.

Once upon a time we had one of the most exciting up and coming teams in the NHL with a young Kovalchuk and Heatley (and later Hossa and Kovalchuk), and still never put a team on the ice as successful as most any Predators year.

Thinking back, watching 11 years of horrible defensive hockey, I clearly remember saying many, many times after watching night after night, year after year, of no defense and no goaltending, that I would “LOVE TO HAVE A TEAM THAT COULD PLAY SOME DEFENSE- I don’t care how many goals we can scoreâ€.

But I have to say, watching 11 and 13 shots on goal for entire games may be even worse than a high scoring team with no defense.

If you could magically combine the Predators and Thrashers franchises, you might just get a Cup contender out of it.

I sometimes think us former Thrashers fans are cursed- 11 years of misery watching the Thrashers, with good offense and no defense, and now we pull for a team that has no offense and good defense. Can’t we get a little of both????????

Having said all of that, it really brings home the point of how much us Thrashers fans had to suffer. Just listen to the doom and gloom going on around the Predators right now- in reality, the Preds have been one of the MOST successful teams the past 8-10 years.

So for the long time Preds fans who are frustrated and pessimistic right now (and rightly so, don’t get me wrong), just imagine if during the past ELEVEN seasons, you had 1 playoff appearance, ZERO playoff wins, and TWO 40 win seasons. (Preds have 7 straight 40 win seasons going). I am still so bitter about that every time I think about it- no fan base deserves that kind of abuse.

Point is, things could be much, much, much worse for the Predators.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, right now it is bad there is no doubt about that but you can't really compare the Thrashers and Preds to such extremes because while the Preds have been a Defense first type of team for the better part of a half decade now they have succeeded whereas the Thrashers always crashed and burned.

Your right things could always be worse. I just think Preds fans have watched some boring not great offensively teams in recent history and the start of this season has brought back memories of those nightmares.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Gotta say I really appreciate the Thrash contingent here. I was just wondering whether or not it was time for my semiregular "you spoiled kids know nothing of true suffering" rant. :D

Bad seasons happen to good teams. It'll get better.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Gotta say I really appreciate the Thrash contingent here. I was just wondering whether or not it was time for my semiregular "you spoiled kids know nothing of true suffering" rant. :D

Bad seasons happen to good teams. It'll get better.

Just wanted to make sure my post isn’t misunderstood- I wasn’t trying to say that the Preds and Thrashers are in any way similar franchises. The Predators franchise is what the Thrashers SHOULD HAVE BEEN if it had been run correctly.

Also was not trying to act like I was lecturing Preds fans about being spoiled- I am one of you now so I would just be lecturing myself because I am just as frustrated as everyone else.

Just trying to point out the extremes between the two from Thrashers fans perspective- we went from great offense/no defense to just the opposite this year.

I guess its way past time to let go of the bitterness about the Thrashers situation, and how the fan base was completely screwed over, but it is very hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad