Confirmed with Link: Predators claim Rich Clune on waivers from LA

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
In the lines thread, we all seem to think he is a temporary filler for Bourque...and that's if he can beat out Mueller in camp.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5056

LAK blogger on Eks site says he's a Tootoo-type pest.

Do waiver claimed players still have to be put on the NHL roster or else go through waivers again to be sent down?

Yes, to be sent to Milwaukee, Clune would have to be offered on waivers again. IMO, this is an attempt to replace Tootoo in his role as a disturber. Can't dress McGrattan against every team, especially Detroit...so I anticipate Clune might dress in those games.

Overall though, I look at Clune as a 13th/14th forward candidate.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yes, to be sent to Milwaukee, Clune would have to be offered on waivers again. IMO, this is an attempt to replace Tootoo in his role as a disturber. Can't dress McGrattan against every team, especially Detroit...so I anticipate Clune might dress in those games.

Overall though, I look at Clune as a 13th/14th forward candidate.

I guess I was thinking Yip was our Tootoo substitute....

looks like we are gonna have 23 on the roster, which makes sense with the compressed schedule.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
In the lines thread, we all seem to think he is a temporary filler for Bourque...and that's if he can beat out Mueller in camp.

well crap.. I looked through the threads before starting this thread and didnt see it... it was on a previous page...

mods feel free to merge or delete...

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
well crap.. I looked through the threads before starting this thread and didnt see it... it was on a previous page...

mods feel free to merge or delete...

Oh...I didn't mean to sound like I was busting you. It probably needs its own thread anyway. I was just saying that, while I agree that he's a replacement for Tootoo, when Bourque is back, I just don't see room.

Erat / Fisher / Kostitsyn
Smith / Legwand / Hornqvist
Wilson / Gaustad / Bourque
Halischuk / Spaling / Yip

Clune
Mueller
McGrattan

IMO, you should carry 7 D-men, so I don't know who goes (assuming there's no injury). Maybe it's their thinking that he'll clear waivers and can move up and down helping give rest on this crazy schedule.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I think this has to do with adding a little piss and vinegar to the bottom six. Trotz said Bourque may play this weekend, so I would expect him to join the team on the Roadie if his games go well. I see this as mueller would be a good call up for a 2nd-3rd line role, not 4th line energy guy. I do think it may be indicative of Yip spending more time on the bench though. I think with Wilson, Horn, and Gaustad, there is beef to go with the skill. Remember Yip was used on the PP because he would go to the net. I have to think those guys will do that this year. Yip and Clune should be interchangeable spare parts depending on the competiiton

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I asked Trotz this morning about Clune. He said he expects Clune to be in the same role Tootoo played last season for us. He expects him to be a crowd favorite before too long as well. He also mentioned that Clune and McGrattan are real good friends and Mac sold him on Trotz.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
sounds like he's here to stay.. poor Mueller... how much longer does he have before he will have to clear waivers?

AEM6729

Mar 1, 2010
Nashville
Looking at this guy's stats, it looks like he only had 14 fighting majors last year...despite having 253 PIMs. So 183 of his PIMs came from minor penalties? That's terrible.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I remember liking him when I saw him play the little he did for the Kings a few years ago. Guy plays very hard, very physical and is a good skater. So yeah he's going to be like Toots with a little less offense and less fancy crap.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I remember liking him when I saw him play the little he did for the Kings a few years ago. Guy plays very hard, very physical and is a good skater. So yeah he's going to be like Toots with a little less offense and less fancy crap.

Unless he can actually fight, sounds like an addition that's not really needed. Would much rather see Latta get a roster spot who brings similar physicality but with offensive potential. I'll keep an open mind though before I get to see Clune play.

Does he have any room for growth, or is he pretty much who he is?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
worthless pickup.. the NHL isn't a fighting league anymore. if we want an agitator, how about someone with more to his game? isn't that why toots left?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Unless he can actually fight, sounds like an addition that's not really needed. Would much rather see Latta get a roster spot who brings similar physicality but with offensive potential. I'll keep an open mind though before I get to see Clune play.

Does he have any room for growth, or is he pretty much who he is?

Latta is a middleweight fighter at the AHL level. If he goes to Nashville, the Admirals will need Clune in Milwaukee, or they will be nearly defenseless in the fighter department.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I dont get the hate.. he's been picked up as our 13th/14th forward...

did you think we were going to find a top 6 winger on the waiver wire??

because of the compressed season we need 14 forwards.

this guy was available for free.

if he turns out to be useless, he'll get sent to milwaukee.

if he isnt useless, yay us...

but either way its no biggie...

You

Jul 1, 2010
Looking at this guy's stats, it looks like he only had 14 fighting majors last year...despite having 253 PIMs. So 183 of his PIMs came from minor penalties? That's terrible.

The 253 PIMs were from 11-12, when he had 23 FMs. Down to 138 minor/non-fighting major/misconduct minutes. Looks like 4 misconducts, which brings it to 98. 5 roughings, an instigator, a holding and a boarding were incurred at the same time as the FMs (so 8), and 3 of the 8 coincided with a minor on the other team, so 92? That's still high, though. Especially for 56 games. Could be some non-fighting misconducts?

This year is 35 games, 98 PIMs - 14 FMs = 28 assorted PIMs. Apparently no misconducts.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
worthless pickup.. the NHL isn't a fighting league anymore. if we want an agitator, how about someone with more to his game? isn't that why toots left?

I agree it is close to "worthless", but we gave up absolutely nothing for him. If he doesn't work out, we put him right back on waivers, no harm done. We are going to face injuries this year, and you can never have enough depth. LA fans seemed to really like him, and we have no small-class fighters on the team.

I'm not thrilled either, but there's no downside to picking up a guy this cheap on waivers.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
agreed there is no downside.. but its still worthless. if they are worried about weber being the only suitable fighter on the ice, shouldn't they have worried about it in the offseason? not now less than a week before opening night.. or was just a case of being short on spending money and got something they didn't think could afford. toots is a better player than clune is why i say this. clune has a good motor. i could see toots and clune dropping the gloves on feb 19th. actually, id put money on it..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad