Waived: Predators claim Bobby Butler from NJ

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
These are the moves Poile loves. I'm sick of them for one.

Bobby butler isn't bringing anything to the table we don't already have

If he doesn't, you send him down and if he clears waivers, just adds depth and a nice AHL player.

I don't get it when people rag on moves like this. What's the worst that could truly come out of it?

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
I'd just rather call up Beck, Watson, Mueller, or Latta.

We need help scoring. We need energy. Not saying bobby butler won't. But why not use some of the young guns in miluakee who have shown promise and who have worked their ***** off to play here. Poile hasn't given any of them a chance. And with our team being so ****** and anemic at offense I don't get why he hasn't yet

Instead of clune I'd have Latta. And Beck or Watson instead of Butler

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

We need help scoring. We need energy. Not saying bobby butler won't. But why not use some of the young guns in miluakee who have shown promise and who have worked their ***** off to play here. Poile hasn't given any of them a chance. And with our team being so ****** and anemic at offense I don't get why he hasn't yet

Poile is probably waiting until summer to do this, the Admirals are sitting 3 points out of the playoff picture and calling one of more of the players up could hurt their chances at the playoffs.

Plus as it has been said, the Preds picked up a player for nothing in return. This doesn't hurt anything. If after a few games it doesn't work out, they can always send him down. Yes he has to go through waivers, but if he clears then they can call up a player from the Admirals. Even if he is lost there, they didn't lose anything on this player.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site

Not saying that Butler is the offense that we need, but Butler's numbers in the AHL are better than Latta, Watson and Mueller. Only Beck's season this year is better than any of Butler's.

I think that speaks to the poor quality of our prospects rather than how good Butler is.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Latta, beck, Watson are all still young. Younger than butler and Watson is a don on defense as well as being able to score

I see what both of you are saying and I agree to an extent. But when you put it that way it also makes it sound like they care more about the Admirals making the playoffs rather than us. We need to do what it takes to do that or just tank the season.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Why not? Hopefully he goes on the 74-15-16 line instead of Clune.

I'm all for him being on a line somewhere but don't take out clune. Clune has proven himself ass far as i'm concerned. he's a kind of version of tootoo just less offensively talented but i like Clune.

I think we should maybe put Butler on the line you suggested but leave Clune in the lineup. Let's scratch Yip. He hasn't done anything other then his 2 goals in like the first 2 games of the season.

Likely we waive Yip at some point?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'm all for him being on a line somewhere but don't take out clune. Clune has proven himself ass far as i'm concerned. he's a kind of version of tootoo just less offensively talented but i like Clune.

I think we should maybe put Butler on the line you suggested but leave Clune in the lineup. Let's scratch Yip. He hasn't done anything other then his 2 goals in like the first 2 games of the season.

Likely we waive Yip at some point?

I doubt it. He is on a 1 year deal and is an UFA afterwards. I doubt he comes back next year though.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
On another note, picking up a winger like Butler may also be a move we made to ensure we can maybe make moves at the deadline and/or the off-season. This gives us a shot at moving a Halischuck or Yip if needed. I know they don't make up enough for a run at someone that can improve scoring, but I tend to believe that Hali can be had somewhere and people would be interested.

Just some out of the box thinking....

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Butler will likely get stuck on our fourth line as well, but the good news is that happens to be where Trotz likes to play Craig Smith as well.

Maybe our fourth line can become a mini-scoring line unto itself, rather than just the spare parts and players that haven't earned Trotz's trust, as in the past?

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
3 players on the roster we claimed off waivers. Got to be near the top of the league in that regard, along with NYI. Kind of sad.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I'm not really sure how you can compare the two. We traded for Sullivan...and he was a top performer for the Blackhawks at that time...:huh:

Sullivan was claimed off waivers by Chicago. He's regarded as one of the best players to come from waivers.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
...by us.

He was claimed off waivers by Chicago.

Ummmm no two second rounders

Sullivan was traded to the Nashville Predators for a second-round pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft (Michael Blunden) and a second-round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft (Ryan Garlock) on February 16, 2004

Sorry misread yes he was picked up by the Hawks from waivers

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Why not? Hopefully he goes on the 74-15-16 line instead of Clune.

This is how I feel. I missed the last three games because I have been living under my work desk since January 1st; Clune has showed signs of not being terribad, but I don't think he'll ever be better than mediocre.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I don't think anyone should dog Clune. He could have easily become just another bull*** line filler but he does something game in and game out that no one else on our team does other than Weber when he turns into the Hulk and that is play with passion, heart, and effort every single time his skates touch the ice.

His toughness is unparallel and quite frankly i love what he brings to the table. Can we expect him to score 10G and have 20A? No. But he brings the kind of grit we need and the kind of grit and nastiness I thought Goose would play with, but he's gone soft for the most part.

I've become a Clune fan and like watching him. On another note, I hope Butler brings a little something to our squad. A change of scenery might be all he needs.

Just trying to be a hopeful and positive Pred fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad