Seravalli: Predators’ Mattias Ekholm “Available”

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You know we have no control on the team right?

We enjoy watching Ekholm play, so we like keeping the guys we like watch play. Also, he showed loyalty to the team, so we'd like for the team to be loyal to him beyond one year.
But if we trade all the players we like for magic beans other teams don't want, we might someday become a better team than we currently are. Get with the program!

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You know we have no control on the team right?
Isn't the whole point of writing asks and rejecting offers to roleplay the GM? And @AintLifeGrand here is GMing you out of king's ransom offers left and right.

The whole thread was created under the premise that Ekholm is available. I assume people who don't want to see him traded just tell that instead of calling every offer for him, even ones that are clearly above the market value, terrible.

But if we trade all the players we like for magic beans other teams don't want, we might someday become a better team than we currently are. Get with the program!
Few posts above this is the offer for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, a prospect and roster player. If those are "magic beans other teams don't want", what can I tell you, maybe the trades board is not for you.

And all that in an environment where older players like MaxPac or Burns indeed were traded for next to nothing.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Isn't the whole point of writing asks and rejecting offers to roleplay the GM? And @AintLifeGrand here is GMing you out of king's ransom offers left and right.

The whole thread was created under the premise that Ekholm is available. I assume people who don't want to see him traded just tell that instead of calling every offer for him, even ones that are clearly above the market value, terrible.

Few posts above this is the offer for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, a prospect and roster player. If those are "magic beans other teams don't want", what can I tell you, maybe the trades board is not for you.

And all that in an environment where older players like MaxPac or Burns indeed were traded for next to nothing.
1st - nobody on the Preds' board takes ALG seriously, and nobody else should either.
2nd - Preds fans are well aware Poile and the ownership puts a premium on just making the playoffs year in and year out and so trading pieces that help us achieve that for pieces that won't add anything to the roster for 4-5 years is a known non-starter
3rd - the offer isn't THAT good. A 1st two years from now (that theoretically should be a later 1st if EDM gets their shit together), a 2nd, a prospect that won't pan out to anything and two cap dumps. The revised version gets us a mid/mid-late 1st this year, defers the 2nd, a 3rd is whatever and then same dump/peripheral prospect.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
That is correct. It has been stated many times in this thread already.
Ekholm is still our 2nd best defensemen. Honestly unless Poile is ready to admit this team isnt a competitor, we will keep ekholm and trade fabbro or carrier and work out the cap for next season. Having ekholm, McDonagh, and josi gives us the best chance at competing for the next 3 years.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
oh, so how come Seravalli is saying he's available?
Throwing shit against the wall. I feel like he was the same one that said Ekholm and Forsberg were both being shopped last year. None of these guys have any serious sources with the Preds, as is generally shown by almost no rumors involving them ever coming to fruition.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
oh, so how come Seravalli is saying he's available?
Same reason he was supposedly available last season when Nashville was doing poorly?

Analyst look at Nashville and see them doing poorly and make educated guesses as to what shakes loose.

For example:
Nashville has 3 dmen with 6+ million caphits. 2 young rfa dmen looking at raises to around 3 million. That much in defense is probably not sustainable when your forwards are struggling for offense. Therefore a dman should be moved to address forward issues. Josi and McDonagh have trade protection. Carrier, Fabbro, and Lauzon dont open up alot of space. Ekholm could be dangled to address a need at forward and open up capspace. Simple postulation when you dont take into account nashville has a fairly decent forward pipeline in the ahl and a less than good defense pipeline.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
3rd - the offer isn't THAT good. A 1st two years from now (that theoretically should be a later 1st if EDM gets their shit together), a 2nd, a prospect that won't pan out to anything and two cap dumps. The revised version gets us a mid/mid-late 1st this year, defers the 2nd, a 3rd is whatever and then same dump/peripheral prospect.
I guess that's what seeing years of Nashville's drafting do to people...

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
This would be ideal for the Oilers backend, which means there is zero % chance it'll materialize. Katz likes to keep the average *flake happy, and this trade is too good for those folk.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You do know that just because you say Ekholm isn't available doesn't mean It's true right?

In fact Seravalli saying he's available points to him actually being available
It has also been pointed out several times in this thread why Seravalli may have a motive to post such things, even when they are not true. So far he has always been wrong about the Predators. You can still believe him if you want, that's your prerogative. Good luck with that. :dunno:

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Nashville is in a weird spot in regards to franchise direction, forward and defense core either late 20's or early 30's. Entirety of that core is also locked up for a few more years. To me their defense is good enough to compete but the forwards lack the elite talent which is usually required to win a Stanley Cup. Predators seem somewhat in purgatory, they'll be good enough to compete for a playoff spot for awhile but likely drafting in the 12-20 range for the next few years if they remain status quo.

Nashville fans how do you see the next few years- try to sign a marquee free agent or two and roll with this most of your current core, retool and win some big trades or rebuild?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nashville fans how do you see the next few years- try to sign a marquee free agent or two and roll with this most of your current core, retool and win some big trades or rebuild?
None of the above. No Cap space to sign a marquee free agent. No big trades. Definitely no rebuild.

"Retooling" has been happening, on the fly, basically organically the last couple years as internally developed prospects come along and take a spot. I would say that would just continue.

Although with the caveat that the new owner could possibly overturn this if he brings in a new philosophy in the next few years. That would be the wildcard. And I suspect that's when Poile retires. It could go in any direction, possibly with a decade of disastrous results if the new GM can't pull off a successful rebuild. But that's in the land of the complete unknown.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
I would do:

1st 2024, 1st 2025, Bouchard, b-prospect +camp dump

Camp dump being Jack Cambell….. lol

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nashville is in a weird spot in regards to franchise direction, forward and defense core either late 20's or early 30's. Entirety of that core is also locked up for a few more years. To me their defense is good enough to compete but the forwards lack the elite talent which is usually required to win a Stanley Cup. Predators seem somewhat in purgatory, they'll be good enough to compete for a playoff spot for awhile but likely drafting in the 12-20 range for the next few years if they remain status quo.

We will basically be on the bubble every year for the next several unless some of the young guys come up and make some serious noise, which isn't out of the question. I look for Poile to make some moves I just don't think it will be a guy like Ekholm. I think it is much more likely you see a guy like Granlund or Sissons get moved out to make room for a young guy. Maybe a guy like Trenin or Fabbro if there are contract issues.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I would love for the Habs to get him in the off-season, and start strying to contend next season.

People will say “bUt YoU hAvE tO TaNk fOr 3-5 YeArs” but I don’t think so. With their current core of prospects/young players and this years firsts, I think they should go for it.
You might be about the only one. Habs are not interested in a 32 yr old D-man and are for sure not giving up anything valuable for him.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
This doesn't look good on Poile / Preds.

He could have gone to UFA, chose to sign, didn't get a NTC/NMC and in year 1 they're gonna trade him?

I'm sure a lot of teams would like him though.

Where did they trade him, talk when it happens not when it's a click bate rumour.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Not really, look at the moves he made this summer, they've all worked out well for us. Hynes not knowing how to incorporate young players is a huge downfall for us.

Esko nails this and I've been saying this for a while now. Without elite level talent up front, teams don't win Cups. In 40 years as a GM, Poile has never drafted an elite level/HOF forward. It doesn't matter if you have a top 5 pick or not, teams find gems outside of the top 5 and even after the first round. Poile with all his years and wisdom has never found that secret sauce.

SD, even if Hynes could incorporate the young players into the mix, they're ceiling is either good to great, it won't be elite. I have enjoyed watching Glass, Parssinen and Novak play and they have injected some talent but at the end of the day, it won't be enough.

There is one caveat you can find enough quality talent to play up and down your lineup to make up for the lack of elite players at the top. You have your three top lines that are all essentially 2nd line talents and your fourth line is a third line. It may tip the scale enough to counter balance the lack of elite talent. What I view Poile does is build two solid second lines as his top two lines and builds conventional third and fourth lines and that is never enough talent to go all the way.

FYI, go back to when Poile was the GM in DC and look at the '91 draft. He had two late firsts and an early second. See the guys he picked and see all the guys who got picked before and after some of his picks. A few pretty good players left on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad