WC: Pre Skoda Cup Rankings?

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
A pool:

1683731582536.png

B pool
1683731608997.png

It's a weird tourney with little NHL Star power. Canada and US appear to be sending their E teams while most nations are sending a C version. The lower tier teams, however, are sending near their A teams. I foresee a lot of round robin upsets. I do think the Semi's will be the 'usual suspects' though.

For instance, I consider Latvia the fav over Canada on Friday. I do think Canada ends up in Semis though.

1. Finland
2. Sweden
3. Canada

4. Czechs
5. Germany
6. Slovakia
7. Swiss

(note you could mix and match 4 to 7 anyway you like, not seeing a big difference in those squads. Slovaks have a great squad. Swiss look very solid and just won an EHT. Germany just got Seider and has a nice Top 6). To be clear, I listed them in Alphabetical order as I think the margins are so small.

8. USA
9. Latvia
10. Denmark
The rest

Remember, if you want to tell me my list sucks, don't forget to post your own list first so we can compare in a week (NHL additions after round 1 could also alter this a lot). About the only thing I'm certain of is that Finland is the Gold fav and Sweden should medal. However, hometown curse is a thing and not many hosting nations win this. Otherwise, they are solid.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
1. Finland
2. Canada
3. Sweden
4. Czechia
5. USA
6. Switzerland
7. Germany
8. Latvia
9. Slovakia
10. Denmark
11. France
12. Austria
13. Norway
14. Kazakhstan
15. Slovenia
16. Hungary

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Hometown curse!

From what I can see:

Sweden won in 2013 in Sweden/Finland
Finland won last year in Finland

That is it for the 2000s as far as I can tell.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Slovakia shouldn’t be that high, this is a weak defense. Forwards aren’t bad but keeping the puck out of the net will be a problem.
I like a lot of pieces on Slovakia, I have a bias for Slovakia too.lol USA at 8 might be my big mistake! Very fast team!

Nemec may be coming too! The Gernat injury sucks.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I like a lot of pieces on Slovakia, I have a bias for Slovakia too.lol USA at 8 might be my big mistake! Very fast team!

Nemec may be coming too! The Gernat injury sucks.
As one of the biggest IHWC nerds in the world, I can assure you Slovakia is not the 6th best team as of now.

The rosters are so weak this year, that anything can happen, and that includes a surprise semi-finalist, but it's pretty clear that Finland, Sweden and Canada are the big favorites. The rest of the pack is at least half a notch weaker.

This might change with some quality adds after some of the teams get eliminated from the 2nd round of SC play-offs

Reactions: Czechboy

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It's the World Championships, not "Skoda Cup". :rolleyes:

Or should we call the Stanley Cup the Geiko Cup, due to its broadcasts being infested with such ads?

Not to mention that the World Championships, even more so the Olympics, are a more prestigious event for non-American hockey fans than a regional competition like the NHL.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Wide open Skodas this year, 4th class rosters here for the most part.

It's value among the players seems to decline more every year, possible it could become irrelevant within a decade or so.

Still, let's all enjoy it while it still has some cache left, us fans who follow it could become a dying breed sooner rather then later.

Good luck to all teams!!

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
As one of the biggest IHWC nerds in the world, I can assure you Slovakia is not the 6th best team as of now.

The rosters are so weak this year, that anything can happen, and that includes a surprise semi-finalist, but it's pretty clear that Finland, Sweden and Canada are the big favorites. The rest of the pack is at least half a notch weaker.

This might change with some quality adds after some of the teams get eliminated from the 2nd round of SC play-offs
I honestly don't understand the hype Canada gets here. They will lose to Latvia in opening game and they are generally not having better roster than Czechs or Swiss even after they get it going in tourney.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
A pool:

View attachment 706070

B pool
View attachment 706071

It's a weird tourney with little NHL Star power. Canada and US appear to be sending their E teams while most nations are sending a C version. The lower tier teams, however, are sending near their A teams. I foresee a lot of round robin upsets. I do think the Semi's will be the 'usual suspects' though.

For instance, I consider Latvia the fav over Canada on Friday. I do think Canada ends up in Semis though.

1. Finland
2. Sweden
3. Canada

4. Czechs
5. Germany
6. Slovakia
7. Swiss

(note you could mix and match 4 to 7 anyway you like, not seeing a big difference in those squads. Slovaks have a great squad. Swiss look very solid and just won an EHT. Germany just got Seider and has a nice Top 6). To be clear, I listed them in Alphabetical order as I think the margins are so small.

8. USA
9. Latvia
10. Denmark
The rest

Remember, if you want to tell me my list sucks, don't forget to post your own list first so we can compare in a week (NHL additions after round 1 could also alter this a lot). About the only thing I'm certain of is that Finland is the Gold fav and Sweden should medal. However, hometown curse is a thing and not many hosting nations win this. Otherwise, they are solid.
Like me, I understand that you like Slovakia, but... Do you really think that Slovakia is stronger than Switzerland on paper? With all those player absences? At the moment, Slovakia is clearly still behind Switzerland even in full squads, and now the Slovaks are missing perhaps half of their players, the defense is completely broken... It's strange for me, my friend:huh::D

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Like me, I understand that you like Slovakia, but... Do you really think that Slovakia is stronger than Switzerland on paper? With all those player absences? At the moment, Slovakia is clearly still behind Switzerland even in full squads, and now the Slovaks are missing perhaps half of their players, the defense is completely broken... It's strange for me, my friend:huh::D
They have better coach and you know.... magic beans

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

How is Sweden stronger than Czechia?

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Don't think you read what I wrote. I couldn't decide between those 4 so I used alphabetical order.

Where is your ranking?

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
1. Finland
2. Czechia
3. Sweden
4. Canada
5. Switzerland
6. USA
7. Germany
8. Latvia
9. Slovakia
10. Denmark
11. Austria
12. Norway
13. Kazakhstan
14. France
15. Slovenia
16. Hungary

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1. Finland
2. Czechia
3. Sweden
4. Canada
5. Switzerland
6. USA
7. Germany
8. Latvia
9. Slovakia
10. Denmark
11. Austria
12. Norway
13. Kazakhstan
14. France
15. Slovenia
16. Hungary
That Latvia vs Slovakia match is going to be one I'm dying to see! Seems to be a split vote around here between them and Latvia.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Don't think you read what I wrote. I couldn't decide between those 4 so I used alphabetical order.

Where is your ranking?
I see;)
I don't have a ranking, but I would definitely have Switzerland high above Slovakia. Sorry, brothers. The overall strength of the hockey country (so far, still good prospects on the way), past mutual matches, and most importantly, the strength of these specific teams, when Slovakia is obviously still weakened by absences.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Finland, Sweden, Canada, the rest. I think the final will be Fin Vs Swe. But no surprises if it's Canada Vs Finland or Sweden in the final. Otherwise, I hope to see a Fin Vs Cze final. We still owe the Czechs payback for a few Skoda cup final losses!

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Finland, Sweden, Canada, the rest. I think the final will be Fin Vs Swe. But no surprises if it's Canada Vs Finland or Sweden in the final. Otherwise, I hope to see a Fin Vs Cze final. We still owe the Czechs payback for a few Skoda cup final losses!
:thumbu:except for the czech loss:nod:

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Here's my prediciton.

Group A:
1. Sweden
2. USA
3. Finland
4. Denmark
5. Germany
6. France
7. Austria.
8. Hungary

Sweden and Finland to Semifinal after quarterfinals. US always choke in KO round, but do well in group stage.

Group B.
1. Switzerland
2. Czechia
3. Slovakia
4. Canada
5. Norway.
6. Latvia.
7. Slovenia
8. Kasasakhstan.

Canada and Czech to Semifinal after Quarterfinals. Canada are slow starters, but grows into the tournament.

Sweden-Canada in Semifinal one. Canada wins
Finland-Czechia in Semifinal two. Finland wins.

Finland-Canada in final.

Canada wins.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad