GDT: PRE-SEASON | Penguins hosting the Blue Jackets | Sept 21 | 4 p.m. | TV: ROOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I know its just preseason, but to see the same crap hockey being played is really ****ing annoying.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Decent game aside from Fleury. No real complaints about any player in particular. This team is gonna be a whole different animal when Crosby and Malkin are both playing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
that's the sense I get. I guess one thing Pouliot has going for him (relative to Maatta) is that he's like 6 months younger... Maatta has looked great whereas Pouliot has looked good.

I think you'd find a pretty split crowd here. Maatta is going to be a two way stud but Pouliot has high end offensive potential. I like Maatta more from what I've seen but they aren't really the same type of player so it's not a fair comparison.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
People want to justify picking him at 8th over better players, including Olli

Still hold that Pouliot was a mistake at #8 given who else was available. No Pouliot means Morrow may not have been traded...but who knows. Could play what if all day. But I would still rather have Forsberg or Grigorenko and Morrow rather than Pouliot and the old man Morrow for those couple games.

Maatta looked great this game. I am impressed with him but another year of Juniors will be ultimately better for him than 6/7 with <10 min here. Look forward to having him in the future.

Jokinen looked great this game. This is gonna make the Bennett vs Jokinen debate very interesting.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
that's the sense I get. I guess one thing Pouliot has going for him (relative to Maatta) is that he's like 6 months younger... Maatta has looked great whereas Pouliot has looked good.

I think maatta is younger than pouliot.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Decent game aside from Fleury. No real complaints about any player in particular. This team is gonna be a whole different animal when Crosby and Malkin are both playing.

I hate Fleury, but he wasn´t that horrible today. He had some bad luck with two crazy bounces and he could do a little with it. His slow starts are concerning, but he was better as the game went on. It was a decent hockey by the Pens, result doesn´t really matter in the preseason.

That said, Pascal Dupuis was -5 in a 3-5 loss, I would guess he needs Sid back. Sutter needs to do more as well. There are some tough decisions coming for the management with the way Beau, JJ, Maatta, Bort, Zolnierczyk, Jeffrey or Kobasew(was pretty meh tonight, though) are playing.. On the other hand, there are Niskanen, D´Agostini, Adams and Glass looking useless, Engelland looking meh. I´m really interested how it pans out..

Btw Orpik is playing awful hockey as well, but I understand that he has almost nothing to play for.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Sill had another good game. Maatta was impressive. Z gets added to the list of players better than Glass.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Jokinen looked great, if he's on Malkin's line then he's earned/deserves it.
Bort looked really good.
Maatta looked really, really promising.
Kobasew wasn't noticeable until the end where I liked what I saw.
Sill and Z could be on the Pens in place of a certain player.
Sutter hasn't impressed this preseason and he really didn't in the playoffs.
Fleury was... there. He was inconsistent. I'd love to see his "bad luck" compared to other goalies', it seems like he has more than most.
Dupuis may have lost his hands again, maybe.

Has Glass been on the Pens team that lost every time? I think he has.

It makes things harder than in has to. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

That's Fleury in a nutshell to me.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Couple thoughts

-I didn't think Fleury was particularly bad today and I have a very low opinion of him. He still loses track of the play every time the puck crosses the goal line, but his biggest problem this afternoon was Brooks Orpik playing like trash.

-On a related note, Orpik looks like trash. If he's not going to show up to these preseason games, just sit him until the season starts.

-Jokinen and Malkin obviously had awesome games

-There are no less than six forwards who should make the team over Adams and Glass and none of them likely will.

-Maata can play now. At worst, he's a 2nd pairing NHL defenseman right this second. They'll probably send him back to juniors, but that isn't where he belongs from what I can see.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The things I have learned from preseason so far:

- Glass/Adams/Nisky do not belong on the Pens roster. If this camp was about real competition and now just handing a spot to a name, those 3 all deserve trades, released, cut, etc. Guys like Harry Z, Poulie, Maatta, Sill, Chucky, etc. all have outplayed, out shined, out hustled, and showed they wanted to be in the Bigs more than the ones who are guaranteed a spot.

- Letang/Geno might have had big offseasons of working out, but they did not work on making dumb plays at all. It's the same thing over and over again. They just make hilariously bad plays. I've never seen professionals make the same mistake over and over again without just realizing they shouldn't do it.

- Our future in the defense is gold.

- Fleury might be broken forever. He needs a new team and to recollect his thoughts.

- The big one... Beau Bennett is a future all-star player. His ability and skill level far surpass any of my expectations. I cannot stop smiling when this kid is on the ice. He's a freaking super star in the making.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Only good thing to hope for is a 10 game losing streak in the season to get Bylsma fired. :laugh:

Hey that sounds exactly like what I was saying back in June. Glad you're on the bandwagon. You can't accuse me of being a pessimist now. :laugh:

Imagine how good we would be with Bobrovsky. One can dream.

I remember not that long ago, we shelled Bobrovsky a number of times in the regular and post-season and people were making fun of him like he was a joke. So I guess the question is, will the real Bob please stand up. Is it hot-and-cold-in-Philly Bob or Vezina Bob?

Brandon Dubinsky is being a ******. Zach Sill would wreck this d-bag.

He's paid to be a d-bag.

I missed the game but generally it's funny watching people's reactions in here after a pre-season game.

Bennett has been impressive all camp long and showing every sign of being Top 6 material, but now that Juice had a great pre-season game, Beau has no chance. Beau is American. That alone gives him an edge over Juice. In fact the more Malkin might suggest Juice, the more likely Bylsma won't play him there. ;)

Olli looks great in the pre-season and we're already sure he's a stud in the making and should be on the roster. (Hint: he'll be lucky to play a single regular season game, and that's as it should be. That said I'm glad he's playing well / not showing the jitters out there in his first NHL work.)

People think there's a change Glass and Adams won't play 82 games on the 4th line. :laugh: Blysmagic will ensure that his brothers from another mother play 82 until the day he's canned.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Couple thoughts

-I didn't think Fleury was particularly bad today and I have a very low opinion of him. He still loses track of the play every time the puck crosses the goal line, but his biggest problem this afternoon was Brooks Orpik playing like trash.

-On a related note, Orpik looks like trash. If he's not going to show up to these preseason games, just sit him until the season starts.

-Jokinen and Malkin obviously had awesome games

-There are no less than six forwards who should make the team over Adams and Glass and none of them likely will.

-Maata can play now. At worst, he's a 2nd pairing NHL defenseman right this second. They'll probably send him back to juniors, but that isn't where he belongs from what I can see.

Definitely not, He's had an excellent preseason and camp but who was the last 19 year old dmen to come in and play 2nd pairing minutes? especially on a contender.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Definitely not, He's had an excellent preseason and camp but who was the last 19 year old dmen to come in and play 2nd pairing minutes? especially on a contender.

Brodin was playing with Suter on the 1st pairing last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad