GDT: PRE-SEASON | Penguins at Chicago Blackhawks | Sept 19 | 8 p.m. | TV: ROOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Crazy to think last nights game was the first time that Crosby has played against Patrick Kane in NHL. And he hasn't faced Toews yet.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't think there's one right formula for the winger for Sid. Malkin is a playmaker too. Both Sid and Geno can be elite playmakers and goal scorers. The reason why I personally think Bennett would be better for Sid than Geno long term is that Geno wants the puck all the time. What he needs more than anything is someone to go get it for him. Bennett's talents may be not be utilized properly in that scenario. Sid needs a guy who can make a play on his own to free Sid up.

I think Bennett will do well and add a lot to either line, I just think his assets are needed more with Crosby than Geno.

Exactly. Crosby needs exactly what Bennett brings, and there are similarities in their games.

All Malkin wants from his left wing is to play defense and get him the puck. Like you said, I feel in a way Bennett will be underutilized on Malkin's wing.

Plus I feel like if Beau and Sid were together, both of their games would become more well rounded. Sid may be more of a playmaker now, but this is the same guy that won a Rocket and scored 32 goals in 41 games. He kind of has to be more of a playmaker because there's no one on his line that can set him up.

I completely agree with the bolded, Crosby needs Bennett more than Geno does. I also think Geno needs Kunitz more than Crosby.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
I agree with that and think it will happen sooner rather than later. if it doesn't happen in his first full season though I'm not going to lose sleep over it. bigger picture he will probably spend a lot of his career next to 87.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't think there's one right formula for the winger for Sid. Malkin is a playmaker too. Both Sid and Geno can be elite playmakers and goal scorers. The reason why I personally think Bennett would be better for Sid than Geno long term is that Geno wants the puck all the time. What he needs more than anything is someone to go get it for him. Bennett's talents may be not be utilized properly in that scenario. Sid needs a guy who can make a play on his own to free Sid up.

I think Bennett will do well and add a lot to either line, I just think his assets are needed more with Crosby than Geno.

Amen! This x1000000.
... and there would be add-on conclusions following that, but them's almost heretic on here...

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm all for swapping Bennett in for Kunitz on Sid's wing. He'd be great with Sid, and it would bring back a known working line from 2 yrs ago.

Also, Bort is awesome. I really hope he gets a chance to play regular minutes this year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Exactly. Crosby needs exactly what Bennett brings, and there are similarities in their games.

All Malkin wants from his left wing is to play defense and get him the puck. Like you said, I feel in a way Bennett will be underutilized on Malkin's wing.

Plus I feel like if Beau and Sid were together, both of their games would become more well rounded. Sid may be more of a playmaker now, but this is the same guy that won a Rocket and scored 32 goals in 41 games. He kind of has to be more of a playmaker because there's no one on his line that can set him up.

I completely agree with the bolded, Crosby needs Bennett more than Geno does. I also think Geno needs Kunitz more than Crosby.

Agreed all around. Bennett-Crosby-Duper and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal is the best top 6 we could have with that combination of players. It makes too much sense to happen :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm all for swapping Bennett in for Kunitz on Sid's wing. He'd be great with Sid, and it would bring back a known working line from 2 yrs ago.

Also, Bort is awesome. I really hope he gets a chance to play regular minutes this year.

I haven't seen any of the pre-season but I'm really happy to hear all of the Bort praise. If he gets consistent time this season, he could be very valuable in the playoffs.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I haven't seen any of the pre-season but I'm really happy to hear all of the Bort praise. If he gets consistent time this season, he could be very valuable in the playoffs.

Was all over the ice last night, great scoring chance down low in the 2nd, should have put it away but then again he isn't known for his offensive talent

And a great fight on top of that, landed some solid punches on Brookbank who isn't too shabby himself

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm definitely highly impressed with Bennett. The only real reservation I have thus far is his goal scoring willingness...not ability. We'll see how he does when he is faced with an opportunity to score playing with Sid or Geno. I do believe he has the confidence to take the shot unlike a guy like Kunitz.

His passing is just unreal. So much touch and accuracy. I think Beau would work better with Sid stylistically because Sid doesn't really need the puck like Geno does. I envision Beau with Geno where Geno is breaking up ice early and Beau throws a stretch pass with Geno behind the defense or Neal is just sort of roving around finding open spots with 2 elite playmakers feeding him pucks.

It doesn't matter where the guy plays...I think he's in line for a gigantic year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I agree about Bortuzzo. I'm not his biggest fan, but he obviously put in some good work this offseason. Real solid showing by him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Agreed all around. Bennett-Crosby-Duper and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal is the best top 6 we could have with that combination of players. It makes too much sense to happen :laugh:

Bennett-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Kobasew
Jeffrey-Vitale-D'Agi

is about the best and well balanced lineup we could ice. Which...I agree is not at ALL likely to happen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Sure, until Dan Bylsma says 'best line in hockey'.

Bennett-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Kobasew
Jeffrey-Vitale-D'Agi

is about the best and well balanced lineup we could ice. Which...I agree is not at ALL likely to happen.

Only the third line has any possibility. The top two are pipe dreams. There isn't enough LSD in the world to feed Bylsma for him ever to envision that fourth line.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sure, until Dan Bylsma says 'best line in hockey'.

Only the third line has any possibility. The top two are pipe dreams. There isn't enough LSD in the world to feed Bylsma for him ever to envision that fourth line.

Precisely. We have gone down this road MANY times before. Everybody on this board agrees that both Kunitz and Dupuis are best served as the 'third wheel' on a scoring line. It's been talked about ad nauseum. Gee, does Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla/Kunitz-Malkin-Neal ring any bells???

But if the 'best line in hockey' is broken up, Chuck Kobasew or Jussi Jokinen will benefit, not Beau Bennett. This is how we roll, people. It took me one game live to see that Bennett is going to be a special player in this league. One game. And he'll prove that...when dealt at the trading deadline for Johan Franzen (we are trying to become Detroit, after all!).

I don't know why people still get disillusioned by Disco Dan. He's never seen the Spike Lee movie "Do the Right Thing". He has no clue what that means. And now that Ray Shero has officially declared himself as Disco's BFF, we're screwed.

- Bennett won't blossom here.
- Bortuzzo will be waived, Colorado will be happy to have him.
- Vokoun will play 27 games and sit when the playoffs begin.
- Kobasew will thrive.
- Glass won't sit out, ever (the lesson that was apparently learned from the playoffs was that adding Iginla was a mistake if it meant sitting Glass).

We can put those in pen, not pencil. The next thing to look forward to is the bloodletting...when somebody in upper management (hello, 66!) wakes up and smells the coffee.

Until then, keep seeking out the fairy dust if you will.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Precisely. We have gone down this road MANY times before. Everybody on this board agrees that both Kunitz and Dupuis are best served as the 'third wheel' on a scoring line. It's been talked about ad nauseum. Gee, does Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla/Kunitz-Malkin-Neal ring any bells???

But if the 'best line in hockey' is broken up, Chuck Kobasew or Jussi Jokinen will benefit, not Beau Bennett. This is how we roll, people. It took me one game live to see that Bennett is going to be a special player in this league. One game. And he'll prove that...when dealt at the trading deadline for Johan Franzen (we are trying to become Detroit, after all!).

I don't know why people still get disillusioned by Disco Dan. He's never seen the Spike Lee movie "Do the Right Thing". He has no clue what that means. And now that Ray Shero has officially declared himself as Disco's BFF, we're screwed.

- Bennett won't blossom here.
- Bortuzzo will be waived, Colorado will be happy to have him.
- Vokoun will play 27 games and sit when the playoffs begin.
- Kobasew will thrive.
- Glass won't sit out, ever (the lesson that was apparently learned from the playoffs was that adding Iginla was a mistake if it meant sitting Glass).

We can put those in pen, not pencil. The next thing to look forward to is the bloodletting...when somebody in upper management (hello, 66!) wakes up and smells the coffee.

Until then, keep seeking out the fairy dust if you will.

Maybe this will be the year a rookie finally develops under DB, but ya...

It's frustrating when you have a coach out there like RC, who trusts young guys and gives them a shot to sink or swim. A legit shot, not three shifts. Look how Kadri flourished when given a real chance. Now he is putting Colborne between JVR and Clarkson. He basically said the bus only comes around so often, so make the best of it, but at least he gives his kids a shot.

Maybe they don't always seize the opportunity, but you don't know that until they are given a real chance.

It's just getting old watching DB pull the same act every season, especially when most of us grasp the utter importance of having young talent playing on their ELCs in a cap world.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
reading some of these replies, I'm starting to wonder how some of you even get out of bed in the mornings. :laugh:

must be a lot of fun to watch as every move is questioned and hardened opinions on players do not change based on their actual play*.

* for instance, Niskanen had a very strong year last year as far as driving play while facing relatively tough competition - illustrated in this usage chart:

RMlzA3Q.png

spare the tired "I use the eye test and actually watch the games" commentary, please.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
reading some of these replies, I'm starting to wonder how some of you even get out of bed in the mornings. :laugh:

must be a lot of fun to watch as every move is questioned and hardened opinions on players do not change based on their actual play*.

* for instance, Niskanen had a very strong year last year as far as driving play while facing relatively tough competition - illustrated in this usage chart:

RMlzA3Q.png

spare the tired "I use the eye test and actually watch the games" commentary, please.

Niskanen has become persona non grata here for two reasons:

1: he tanked in the playoffs like some of us said he would. It was a terrible mistake playing him with Letang against top opposition.
2: more importantly for the majority perception, he is our most obvious piece to let go of to both get cap-compliant and make the room for very promising guys who add some desperately needed size alongside mobility.

Doesn't change that 3: everyone knows Niskanen is a very, very good number 5.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Niskanen has become persona non grata here for two reasons:

1: he tanked in the playoffs like some of us said he would. It was a terrible mistake playing him with Letang against top opposition.
2: more importantly for the majority perception, he is our most obvious piece to let go of to both get cap-compliant and make the room for very promising guys who add some desperately needed size alongside mobility.

Doesn't change that 3: everyone knows Niskanen is a very, very good number 5.

Ya I know it's the eyeball test which could never compare to the almighty advanced stats (I'm ok with that though), but Nisky was a huge weak spot in the playoffs.

All that matters in the end, is that Nisky is a UFA that will walk next Summer and Shero has placed a very heavy emphasis on the blueline in the draft.

If I have to spell the rest of this out, then people aren't paying attention here...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ya I know it's the eyeball test which could never compare to the almighty advanced stats (I'm ok with that though), but Nisky was a huge weak spot in the playoffs.

All that matters in the end, is that Nisky is a UFA that will walk next Summer and Shero has placed a very heavy emphasis on the blueline in the draft.

If I have to spell the rest of this out, then people aren't paying attention here...

Agreed. I think Nisky is worthless on this team. The only times he ever showed anything were when Letang went down, but we have other guys who can do that. Nisky just isn't what this defense needs.

Three guys I want to see off this team: Glass, Adams (just because it's time for new blood), and Nisky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad