Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season: Oilers Beat Jets 3-2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just my thoughts

RNH was the best player on the ice and turned it up in the 2nd period.
Yakupov was a mixed bag. Had some flashes but needs to settle down when he gets the puck. Eakins needs to keep him on the RW.
Tkachev needs to be signed, has great vision.
Yakimov was strong, 1G, 1A, seemed to fade a bit in the 3rd, but has made a strong case.
Draisaitl looked tired and gassed.
Rimmer was good. Maybe a little lucky.
Schultz was really good again.
Nurse was good too.
Pitlick had a great game, good energy, 4th line turned the game around.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Just my thoughts

Yakupov was a mixed bag. Had some flashes but needs to settle down when he gets the puck.
Yakimov was strong, 1G, 1A, seemed to fade a bit in the 3rd, but has made a strong case.
Nurse was good too.

My girlfriend appropriately calls him "Spaz" from time to time, when he has the puck. It fits him perfectly.

I liked Klefbom's play, especially considering his d-partner, and Draisaitl was less than impressive.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Miller, Ewanyk and Gernat should be among next cuts.. maybe Kessy if they're wanting to trim it down but I thought he played well. Hamilton deserves another game but maybe he's in the same boat as Kessy.

Yakimov has played well enough that he's in the conversation as a center option. Was easily better than Draisaitl tonight.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Hamilton was a completely different player after he was moved up to the first line. Really liked Pitlick's energy. He can play a key role on this team in the bottom 6 if he can continue playing like that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
RNH = best player.
Yakupov = Didn't look good on the LW, but settled down on the right and made good defensive plays.
Tkachev = Vladdy hockey, enough said.
Yakimov = Solid. Could use a year in the ahl, but he's a potential darkhorse for the nhl squad.
Schultz = Bad in the first, but got better in the 2nd and 3rd.
Nurse = Didn't stand out which is a good thing. Just played hard against.
Pitlick = Liked his game tonight. Potential 4th line darkhorse over guys like Joensuu.
Draisaitl = Average at best.
Klefbom = Plain solid. Looks better than Marincin

Bad
Aulie = Reminds me of Fraser
Miller = Unnoticeable.
Gernat = Not liking his defensive game.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hamilton was a completely different player after he was moved up to the first line. Really liked Pitlick's energy. He can play a key role on this team in the bottom 6 if he can continue playing like that.

Hamilton looked solid the 1st period with Yakimov and Miller also. It wasn't just once he jumped up.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So far I feel like Klefbom and Marincin are fighting for that d spot with Klefbom in the lead. Yakimov is making it hard to want to send him down to the minors. Pitlick and Joensuu are very obviously fighting hard for that last wing spot too

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Nugent Hopkins and Schultz will break out this year. Both look ready. Perhaps we should've inked Schultz to a longer term deal.

We are going to have to bring Yakupov along slowly, my worry is he'll get frustrated to the point where he'll demand a trade.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
don't get too excited about these players guys. we've seen good preseasons and training camps from a lot of players over the years who soon went nowhere.
preseason means nothing. especially this early into it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Just my thoughts

Yakupov was a mixed bag. Had some flashes but needs to settle down when he gets the puck. Eakins needs to keep him on the RW.
Nurse was good too.
Pitlick had a great game, good energy, 4th line turned the game around.

Solid summary.

Oh and Laurent Brossoit sucks balls. His upside is the second coming of Devan Dubnyk. Terrible at tracking the puck and relies on size/positioning to make saves. Very little athleticism.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I really liked Klefbom's game. Quiet but very, very steady. I hope he becomes a mainstay this year by the end of the season, like Marincin did last year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
don't get too excited about these players guys. we've seen good preseasons and training camps from a lot of players over the years who soon went nowhere.
preseason means nothing. especially this early into it.

Yes, and I think that Draisaitl will look better in particular once the hockey tightens up a bit.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think Nugent Hopkins and Schultz will break out this year. Both look ready. Perhaps we should've inked Schultz to a longer term deal.

We are going to have to bring Yakupov along slowly, my worry is he'll get frustrated to the point where he'll demand a trade.
He might not if he is still doing well. If he is playing on a successful 3rd line with some good pp time then he can improve and make a push for the top 6 if not, and he complains then all he is doing is hurting his own career

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Pitlick and hamilton played really good IMO

Rimmer has been solid so far, should make for a interesting decision in okc

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Bob brought up a good point they did do that endurance test yesterday. I am not sure that would be a factor but RNH sounds like he is not even tired after the game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm really starting to think perhaps we should just accept at least for another year we're not a superskilled team and beef up the energy/grit as much as possible.

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gordon Pouliot
Purcell Yakimov/Drai Yakupov
Gazdic Hendricks Pitlick
Joensuu

We need the energy and forechecking of a guy like Pitlick. Play the Yakupov line the softest minutes possible.

We're not making the playoffs, maybe we should just accept that and let Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom get in a full year of development elsewhere.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So far I feel like Klefbom and Marincin are fighting for that d spot with Klefbom in the lead. Yakimov is making it hard to want to send him down to the minors. Pitlick and Joensuu are very obviously fighting hard for that last wing spot too

I don't know if you serious or not. Marincin has been a solid B+ maybe even an A, it doesn't even look like he breaks a sweat out there. Marincin makes the game look easy. Klefbom has been solid as well but... I don't know maybe I am biased I guess, but I really don't think its even close. Its like watching an NHLer and then a guy still trying to break into the line up... oh wait, that's exactly what it is like :-P

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Solid summary.

Oh and Laurent Brossoit sucks balls. His upside is the second coming of Devan Dubnyk. Terrible at tracking the puck and relies on size/positioning to make saves. Very little athleticism.

One bad game and the guy "sucks balls".

Give me a break.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This game reminded me why I am so high on Pitlick. Guy was a force out there. I really hope he eventually makes this team and has a positive impact for the next dozen years for us.

Well over due for one of our prospects to turn into the kinda of player he could end up being.

OilNation

Aug 26, 2014
What stood out for me...

Klef looked really strong on the back end, currently better than marncin and nurse for that last spot

Nuge was strong up the middle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad