Post-Game Talk: Pre-season: Jets @ Wild • Sun Sep 27th, 5PM • Xcel Energy Center

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I thought Olsen had a good camp. I think he will have a great year on the Moose.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Schooled?

Yes, schooled.

Plus it's the first Jets pre-season game that I have been able to see. I couldn't even stomach it after a while. It was like watching a horror movie. I would look away (to football) and then look back only to see another disemboweling taking place in front of my weary eyes. So I would look away, and curiosity would have me peek back only to see another. Oh, the humanity.

There have been a couple high scoring games in pre-season but only one where a team gave up 8.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I thought Olsen had a good camp. I think he will have a great year on the Moose.

He was a very pleasant surprise for me. Always a decent skater, he seemed to gain another gear this year - much quicker acceleration, and very good top speed. Showed some good vision in a couple of the games. I'm hoping he does well for the Moose.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Sometimes, a setup for failure is what it takes to reveal character. I'm thinking it was a Kobayashi Maru (from Star Trek) kinda thing -- how do you respond to a no-win scenario?

I could be giving all too much credit to Maurice, but the man has coached a long time in the NHL yielding average success with some quite below average teams. A sending-to-the-wolves this obvious simply can't have been by accident IMHO.

A Kobayashi Maru reference on a Monday morning. I like it!

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Yes, schooled.

Plus it's the first Jets pre-season game that I have been able to see. I couldn't even stomach it after a while. It was like watching a horror movie. I would look away (to football) and then look back only to see another disemboweling taking place in front of my weary eyes. So I would look away, and curiosity would have me peek back only to see another. Oh, the humanity.

There have been a couple high scoring games in pre-season but only one where a team gave up 8.

It's the pre season. If they get pumped 8-1 in the regular season I'd be more concerned. Even then I would look at it within context.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Yup, with Stemp and Tlusty in there this game is easily 2-2 heading for OT.

:laugh:

Two players that I'd never heard of two weeks ago.

Raffl - I'd like to see more.

MacWilliam - I'd like to see the Jets give him a souvenir stick and a Participant ribbon and send him on his way.

I thought MacWilliam played as though he knew he fate was sealed.

you guys do know that Yeo put out a real PP that late only because Maurice had the goons running around late starting stuff, right? He even said as much. We had a bunch of AHL guys out on the previous PP because we didn't want to run up the score anymore, but Maurice played it stupid.

Played it stupid? Plugs and goons comprised 90% of the players the Jets dressed. Who else was Maurice supposed to ice?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
:laugh:

I thought MacWilliam played as though he knew he fate was sealed.

Played it stupid? Plugs and goons comprised 90% of the players the Jets dressed. Who else was Maurice supposed to ice?

I think it was implied (by Yeo) that they were directed to send a message. Don't know if that's true. Also, considering that aggression is probably those guys only selling point in impressing management it isn't that surprising they'd continue playing that way in a preseason game that was lost long before the third period. BUT the coach could have also told them to tone it down a bit. They were running around more at the end of the game than they were the beginning, if we're talking about tone-setting.

Personally, I'd expect this sort of thing from some of the players that were skating no matter what the score was.

Also don't fault Maurice too much for skating an AHL roster the 4th game of preseason. the previous game was the Wild's 4th and Haula was our only NHL forward, and for D we had one 3rd pair guy and one 2nd pair guy. So 3 NHL skaters. That's normal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
you guys do know that Yeo put out a real PP that late only because Maurice had the goons running around late starting stuff, right? He even said as much. We had a bunch of AHL guys out on the previous PP because we didn't want to run up the score anymore, but Maurice played it stupid.

Maurice was ticked that Yeo had his first PP unit out when it was 6-0. I remember Maurice putting Peluso out to kill a penalty when Yeo had his top PP unit on. It was clear that Maurice was ticked and reacting to Yeo piling on. The Jets' color man (Hnidy) mentioned the issue at that point (I think late 2nd period).

In any case, when was Peluso "running around"? He finished his checks but didn't run anyone illegally or dangerously. When Vanek basically challenged him Peluso could have thrown down and started hammering him, but he kept his gloves on and just jawed with him. Did the Wild really expect that the Jets would bench all but a few of their NHLers and then play a no-contact game?

In the 1st pre-season game in Wpg the Wild's Gabriel was running around like an idiot looking for fights. I guess Yeo forgot about that....

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Posting a Kobayashi Maru reference in a hockey forum always runs the risk that people will think you're talking about a Buffalo draft pick :P

But I also think you're correct, judging by Maurice's comments. I'm sure he expected the better players to be on Minnesota and for them to win the game fairly handily, but to not go out for blood once it was clear the Jets were just trying to get some of the kids one last look.

Just more fuel for the budding rivalry :)

You are probably right which means Maurice made a dumb mistake. Hey, it can happen to anyone. Yeo is not interested in helping the Jets. He is trying to get his team ready for the season. If anybody should be PO'd it is Yeo. Maurice had an obligation to provide better opposition this deep into the pre-season.

The rivalry is going to be good though. :) We already have a good one in St. Louis and how many times did we beat the Hawks last year? :)

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
We have exactly one player that looks for fights on the roster, and IIRC he was only looking because someone got laid out. That was Gabriel. Wild have a pretty soft team as far as that goes. Okay, really soft.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We have exactly one player that looks for fights on the roster, and IIRC he was only looking because someone got laid out. That was Gabriel. Wild have a pretty soft team as far as that goes. Okay, really soft.

Say - maybe you'd be interested in a guy who can take on all comers and is great in the room to boot. His name is Anthony Pelu- Hello? Hello?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Whatever the case Yeo is a dick and I've always had that impression of him.

On TSN Lawless said that he spoke with someone with another NHL team who said he wouldn't have been surprised if an "errant" puck had been winged at the Wild bench. :laugh:

Evidently, some NHL personnel would have felt the same as Maurice apparently did.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Olsen has continuously improved.....thats what we want to see! Not looking too bad for a 6th rounder :nod:

IMO he's leaped ahead of Kosmachuk as a prospect. During the summer prospect poll Kossy was #14 and Olsen was #25

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
You are probably right which means Maurice made a dumb mistake. Hey, it can happen to anyone. Yeo is not interested in helping the Jets. He is trying to get his team ready for the season. If anybody should be PO'd it is Yeo. Maurice had an obligation to provide better opposition this deep into the pre-season.

The rivalry is going to be good though. :) We already have a good one in St. Louis and how many times did we beat the Hawks last year? :)

Not really. The Wild already played one or two more games than the Jets did in the pre-season and their roster seemed set. We were still giving our scrubs/young guys a game or two to showcase themselves. The Wild had no obligation to let up but at some point you're just being a gigantic dick by racking up the score against that quality of opposition.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I actually don't disagree that much with Yeo's decision to run up the score. It's kind of Belicheck-ian, NE Patriots-like. It's the other team's responsibility to stop us from scoring, not ours. We're going to play our best guys and run our best plays, all the time, doesn't matter what the score is.

Is it kind of dickish to do it in pre-season game? Sure. Would I ever condone this sort of thing in a recreational or junior league? No. But for big-money-serious-pro-sports leagues? I sort of like the killer instinct..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not really. The Wild already played one or two more games than the Jets did in the pre-season and their roster seemed set. We were still giving our scrubs/young guys a game or two to showcase themselves. The Wild had no obligation to let up but at some point you're just being a gigantic dick by racking up the score against that quality of opposition.

I'll bow to the majority. Yeo's a dick. :) :laugh:

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
okay Russo clarified that it was Peluso specifically going after our skilled guys that pissed off Yeo. If he'd been running around chasing the Bulmers or Carters of the world it wouldn't have mattered, but Yeo didn't want to see Parise or Suter go down with a pre season injury because Maurice couldn't handle his goon.

We were running a PP with a mix of AHL and 4th liners before the craziness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad