Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 2: LVGK 9, Canucks 4 - (you're) welcome, Vegas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
ugly subban ugly. you can't let him walk in like that.

What have we been telling you about his D? He gets walked every game and most often more than once. He actually gets beat a couple times a period but can catch the slower forwards from behind and have some effect on their shots. The faster guys go right to the net.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
huge props to wong. if he never does anything else, a hat trick of quality goals in a preseason game as an unsigned junior player on a camp invite is pretty awesome.

glass and suzuki also looked very good.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What have we been telling you about his D? He gets walked every game and most often more than once. He actually gets beat a couple times a period but can catch the slower forwards from behind and have some effect on their shots. The faster guys go right to the net.

he was a huge disappointment. still doesn't play defence that i can see. he either needs to switch to the wing or i am not sure what you do with the guy.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Are people surprised?

It's not like Juolevi just had a bad game, this is an issue that has plagued him since before he was drafted. The problem is, people judged Juolevi from his peeks at the WJC, instead of looking at that as a anomaly. I personally, didn't want to believe that Juolevi is what he is. But he simply is.

I've said it more then a few times. He's a player, that's progression has stagnated. I bought the ridiculously overpriced OHL pass, I watched those games. I watched Juolevi struggle game in, and game out. I didn't want to believe it, because I'm a giant homer, but it is what it is. The kid needs to get out and actually go to a league that challenges him. His development has flatlinned.

I have never watched a game where he stands out in any way. Hated the pick on draft day and have seen nothing to change my mind. No excuse for passing on Matthew Tkachuk and Clayton Keller for this player.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I don't recall there was really much consensus on who was the top dman in the 2016 draft. There was the big 2 forwards, then the next 3 forwards, then it became a crapshoot after that considering Chychryn went 16th. At the end of the day we had the 1st pick of the dmen, and chose Juolevi over Sergachev, Bean, McAvoy, and Chychrun. Time will tell how astute this was.

Oh, and Juolevi wasn't really 'younger' than most draft picks, he's a May birthday. Bean and Sergachev are actually a month younger than him, and Chychrun is just a few days over a month older. Only McAvoy is a bit older with about a 5 month gap.

Dead on

We did not even get the best defenseman in that draft and 5th pick. Sergachev, Chychrun, McAvoy are all better.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Griffin Reinhart for making all our players look as fast as Molino and Molino look as fast as Bure.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Griffin Reinhart for making all our players look as fast as Molino and Molino look as fast as Bure.

Yes...some posters are slashing their wrists over Juolevi, but Reinhart was a fourth-overall pick by the Islanders; and the Oilers gave up a a boatload of assets to acquire him, then left him unprotected in the expansion draft....you just never know.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Yes...some posters are slashing their wrists over Juolevi, but Reinhart was a fourth-overall pick by the Islanders; and the Oilers gave up a a boatload of assets to acquire him, then left him unprotected in the expansion draft....you just never know.

I think the moral of the story is that you never draft a defenseman in the Top 5 unless they have a high end offensive skill set.

2018 is actually a draft where there is a couple of defenseman worthy of being Top 5 picks.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think the moral of the story is that you never draft a defenseman in the Top 5 unless they have a high end offensive skill set.

2018 is actually a draft where there is a couple of defenseman worthy of being Top 5 picks.

It's a bad strategy. If you go all the way back to the 2000 draft there's a ton more defensive busts in the top five than successes.

And the exceptions tend to be guys like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Hedman, etc. There's a lot more Luke Schenns and Thomas Hickeys (or Gudbransons) floating around than anything else.

So you have to be pretty confident in the defenseman you're picking in that range, which is why Juolevi was a bad pick.

In a year where there was no consensus on the top d-man in the draft, and many scouting registries had all of them starting around 10th overall, it was a dumb move to reach.

If we had some sort of proven scouting track record ... maybe you justify the reach, but this management group should have gone with consensus and taken the sure thing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Oh boy....what a great bar for Jethro Bodine...ie., "at least he ain't the worst...he's only mediocre".:laugh:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

The moral of the story is don't be an organization that values sycophancy over competency because when you do, you end up hiring sycophantic morons who hire other sycophantic morons.

Case in point, the US government.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
they're really giving boucher a shot.

after how he finished last season i saw that happening, but what i've seen this preseason im over it.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
that arena is more foggy than our future

Pretty sure Boucher is just keeper Brock's spot warm. Boucher is likely the 13th forward since he doesn't kill penalties.

I doubt he gets the 13th forward spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed White or Upshall, or gave the spot to Chaput or Megna until Gaunce comes back.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So is this televised, or is there a link to a live feed, or will it be white out conditions anyway, and I should find an audio feed....?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Hope all the ankles hold up to whats probably going to be some pretty slushy ice.

Vancouver, the most travelled team in the league, is always game for these PR scrimmages overseas. Is winning a draft lottery once in a while too much to ask for in return? :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad