Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game #4 | Sens vs Habs | Saturday 3pm Oct 1| RDS only(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This has been going back for a couple of years now, but the Sens always seem to **** up when it was suppose to be an easy game for them.

Lots of vets playing not to get injured versus a bunch of prospects eager to make the team.

You want them to try harder but at the same it's not necessarily indicative of what we'll see in the regular season.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ryan and Ceci apparently weren't aware of a team meeting scheduled before the game and got in late for it, for which they were benched in the 1st period(for those who are wondering why exactly that happened). Everything seems to be ok with both the coach and the players now though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ryan and Ceci apparently weren't aware of a team meeting scheduled before the game and got in late for it, for which they were benched in the 1st period(for those who are wondering why exactly that happened). Everything seems to be ok with both the coach and the players now though.

Good for the coach. Probably not intentional but the entire organization needs a dose of discipline.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good to hear, always liked Dzingel. :)

Varone is the same guy who played in Buffalo last season, right?

Reading their board, they pretty much say that he lacked the skill to get a spot there.

Hope we can get lucky with some new guy finding another gear. :)

I was giving you my opinion on what I have seen so far this year. Varone has looked pretty good when just comparing the exhibition game performances of the guys on the bubble. I think he has shown some skill, some speed, a good work ethic and a nose for the net.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Based on the last two pre-season games here's my opinion of a few players and noticeables...

Hammond looks better in net. His positioning is better, he moves a lot less than he used to and doesn't get caught as much. It's still pre-season and all that, but I feel like he is better technically than he was before.

Claesson to me was better than I remebered. I know last season he was put in a tough spot playing with Karlsson when we had some injuries and bad coaching but in the last two games we've seen him skate with the puck nicely and jump in the play. He's 100% better than Borowiecki with the puck and he's fine positionally. If he plays with Wideman he'll be more conservative I assume.

Tom Pyatt, really don't see why we signed him to be honest. He's a good safety as 13th forward but I surely hope he doesn't see 3rd line minutes when the season kicks off. He's getting manhandled out there and doesn't bring anything that stands out.

Kelly looked fine IMO, he's faster than I expected, he got some chances here and there. For a 4rth line C, I like what I'm seeing.

Dzingel should start the year with the big club and should get a shot with Ryan and Brassard (or Pageau if Smith plays top 6). He's been really good.

Varone put up some points, I think he's a good callup for a bottom 6 spot. Limited talent and again nothing that really stands out but he goes where he needs to be and makes simple and effective plays. Making the most of his opportunity.

Ryan has looked better early on. More speed, cleaner game and makes better decisions with the puck. Him and Brassard can take some pressure off of the first line.

Bartkowski has been absolutely jorrible in both games. I haven't liked him at all. He came pretty much as advertized, he can move the puck but he's constantly making bad plays and turning the puck over. He shouldn't get signed.

Chabot ... Haven't been impressed and I didn't expect him to do much more than he did. I think last year he had a better camp. He's made a lot of turnovers, he's not a poised with the puck as he was last year and he's missing a step compared to his usual self. He's made some good plays but doesn't deserve to see the 9 games early in the season over any other guys. I'd rather give those games to Claesson who's showed more.

Other than that.. Puempel... He's been pretty much what I anticipated. Not enough to deserve a spot for me.

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
Based on the last two pre-season games here's my opinion of a few players and noticeables...

Hammond looks better in net. His positioning is better, he moves a lot less than he used to and doesn't get caught as much. It's still pre-season and all that, but I feel like he is better technically than he was before.

Claesson to me was better than I remebered. I know last season he was put in a tough spot playing with Karlsson when we had some injuries and bad coaching but in the last two games we've seen him skate with the puck nicely and jump in the play. He's 100% better than Borowiecki with the puck and he's fine positionally. If he plays with Wideman he'll be more conservative I assume.

Tom Pyatt, really don't see why we signed him to be honest. He's a good safety as 13th forward but I surely hope he doesn't see 3rd line minutes when the season kicks off. He's getting manhandled out there and doesn't bring anything that stands out.

Kelly looked fine IMO, he's faster than I expected, he got some chances here and there. For a 4rth line C, I like what I'm seeing.

Dzingel should start the year with the big club and should get a shot with Ryan and Brassard (or Pageau if Smith plays top 6). He's been really good.

Varone put up some points, I think he's a good callup for a bottom 6 spot. Limited talent and again nothing that really stands out but he goes where he needs to be and makes simple and effective plays. Making the most of his opportunity.

Ryan has looked better early on. More speed, cleaner game and makes better decisions with the puck. Him and Brassard can take some pressure off of the first line.

Bartkowski has been absolutely jorrible in both games. I haven't liked him at all. He came pretty much as advertized, he can move the puck but he's constantly making bad plays and turning the puck over. He shouldn't get signed.

Chabot ... Haven't been impressed and I didn't expect him to do much more than he did. I think last year he had a better camp. He's made a lot of turnovers, he's not a poised with the puck as he was last year and he's missing a step compared to his usual self. He's made some good plays but doesn't deserve to see the 9 games early in the season over any other guys. I'd rather give those games to Claesson who's showed more.

Other than that.. Puempel... He's been pretty much what I anticipated. Not enough to deserve a spot for me.

Regarding Puemple, I saw he was tied for lead with 3 SOG. Not good game though ( didn't watch)

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If we're going to be a 7 defense/11 forward team on many nights as Boucher has suggested and two of those forwards are Neil and Kelly...

Not feeling it. That basically makes you a three line team.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If we're going to be a 7 defense/11 forward team on many nights as Boucher has suggested and two of those forwards are Neil and Kelly...

Not feeling it. That basically makes you a three line team.

Boro-Kelly-Neil

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
Lots of vets playing not to get injured versus a bunch of prospects eager to make the team.

You want them to try harder but at the same it's not necessarily indicative of what we'll see in the regular season.

Sorry. No excuses for this loss even in preseason. Compete starts now

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To be honest, if you watched carefully you woulda seen that there is enormous potential in how we could possibly play this year. The boys literally came out of the gate flying. So much so that we bobbled almost every puck and guys were running into each other and everyone looking for fancy play. We definitely looked more dominant. The Habs just had much better structure. With Stone's IQ and game, that should cement the top 6.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan

They've all had and shown chemistry.

Smith also will be big help on the bottom 6. Will be the following:

Smith-Pageau-Varone/Lazar

4th line will start off being:

Pyatt-Kelly-Neil but will quickly be: McCormick-Kelly-Varone/Paul by the 25 game mark.

The questions will be on defense. IMO our top 6 has shown to be able to score when necessary and our bottom 6 will be alright.

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman

is great on paper but we will see how the bottom 2 pairings act in first 15 games.

Missed the game. Did Englund play?

Nope, he's assigned to Bingo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Smith also will be big help on the bottom 6. Will be the following:

Smith-Pageau-Varone/Lazar

4th line will start off being:

Pyatt-Kelly-Neil but will quickly be: McCormick-Kelly-Varone/Paul by the 25 game mark.

I like the Smith Pageau Varone line

Pyatt - Kelly - Neil on the 4th line is not going to work if I had to guess. They will get trapped easily and be chasing the game for the most part.

Just throwing it out there but

McCormick - Paul - Lazar could very well be a better 4th line.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I like the Smith Pageau Varone line

Pyatt - Kelly - Neil on the 4th line is not going to work if I had to guess. They will get trapped easily and be chasing the game for the most part.

Just throwing it out there but

McCormick - Paul - Lazar could very well be a better 4th line.

I agree about the 4th line.

Honestly if they're going to start with Pyatt-Kelly-Neil (very possible), why not put those 3 in Bingo for the start of the season? Theyd get the first few games with line 1 minutes to work on their chemistry.

Just an idea.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Yeah, Varone seems like a career AHLer that is having a great camp. He might get a few games with the big club but I expect him to be in Bingo/Belleville mostly. Good pickup though.

I think it's worth mentioning that buffalo might have been a bad place for a guy trying to break in without high pedigrees. Not a lot support and some pretty weak teams

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No worries. The vets were definitely on cruise control for a good portion of the game.

Chabot definitely needs a lot of 1-on-1 drills and coaching in his own zone. And he needs to move his feet a little better...seems like he really loves the 'long stride,' but that kind of skating isn't useful in close contact defending. Needs to be able to transition to short, mobile crossovers and turns in the corners to keep his speed up and box out guys by keeping his body in position instead of using those long arms of his. Keep the long, silky smooth stride for skating up the ice and his offensive plays.

Hammond looked nice an relaxed. I think the pressure last year of suddenly being a "real" NHLer got to him a bit (although he was still decent as a backup). I think he's really going to be solid this year.

Any update on Andy? Do we expect him to be out for his personal issue for a long time?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I wouldn't be to worried. Last year didn't the ahl sens beat the jets NHL team handily in preseason? It happens every year to a ton of teams.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
At this time of the year, the coach is happier if the team follows the "system" fundamentals instead of winning a meaningless game against an AHL team

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Whoever wins pre-season games really doesn't matter. There's no reason to have any of your hopes for the season raised or lowered based on pre season win and loss records.

If the Sens lose a majority of the first chunk of regular season games, sure. Then get concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad